Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I think he was saying the sin-bin was harsh, which I tend to agree with, as I don't think it was a deliberate "head tackle".

I have no doubt it's a penalty though, and I agree he was going for a shoulder charge (albeit with arms wide open, which makes it more awkward).

P.S. That said, the way the refs are sinbinning people at will in the Tits game, it might be the new referee point of focus...

On face value the bin was harsh but I think ( and agree ) the refs are trying to put the onus back to the players for things like this.
If you are going to be full on aggressive and it turns dangerous then you cop the consequences. Players have been able to hide behind the accident or unintended outcome excuse for too long backed up by most of the commentators who have failed to grasp that the game has changed.
**** me, some of the commentators only just stopped short of blaming Sims for the entire thing because he changed direction.
The more players get binned for that type of tackle the sooner they stop taking chances that result in bad injuries. That could have been so much worse for Sims.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Yep, all we will hear from the media is that Napa’s send off was the worst in a decade

I watched the replay on Fox ... after the commentators saw the slow motion of Napa leading with the head, they were pretty much all saying how Napa could be in some strife ... but as soon as we got the penalty and Napa was sin binned, they all backflipped saying how bad the decision was

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
I think I understand why thaiday starts. Lodge is a magnetic beacon for every skin crawling, dirty underhanded sledge or grub move an opposition can make. Imagine if he starts to lose it like Roberts did at one stage tonight. He puts out anything suspension worthy and the book will get thrown at him. Then the media will go to town with the whole club.
Thaiday is there to keep him and all the young forwards heads on straight, as does Macca.
Think of Roberts losing it early on after being beaten by Mitchell a few times. I bet one of the older blokes might have put a word or two to keep him focussed. Can't be sure but wouldn't be surprised.

Interesting thought. And would be a young rotation. If that’s the worry still don’t need Thaiday once in there are fit. Macca, Glenn (start him if required and play Sua from 30 mins), Gillo should be all able to step in as senior forwards and we supposedly have an amazing captain too... at end of the day Thaiday is a problem for me but far less than Boyd, Bird or Sims especially as Thaiday will solve itself at end of the year and unlike other 3 is a club legend.

T

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
How is simms and opacic? I missed the Simms thing as the night doctor showed up (got back just in time to see isaaku show his magic). Seems a bit harsh the sin binning but agree with the penalty. I'd like to see staggs get another run. He probably has a few things to work on, but looked good for his time there. I was very impressed with his pass to Oates. That showed some maturity that a few of our other centres in days gone lacked, and they were a few years older.
He seems to read the play well. A few more years and he might be something special. I guess we'll wait and see. He is still very young and has some growing to do.
Did anyone see his positional play off the ball?

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
You don't think that if the coaching staff wanted him to play the regular floating fullback style instead of playing in the line, they might say something to him?

Why they won’t tell him to get fit or have time off... Don’t seem to be telling him to play the f***ing ball rather than whinge after each tackle. Don’t tell him to how to talk to a ref or inspire the troops...

Aside from being a protected species the issue is a lack of ability to adapt. If going to play him broken have to accept he can’t play front line as well.

2ndPhase

2ndPhase

QCup Player
May 1, 2016
I totally understand Wayne's very unusual display in the box (everyone in the area now knows for sure which team I support after those Roberts and Isaako tries). That was as unexpected as elating, and a welcome bit of pressure relief for the coach.

That extraordinary win came out of nowhere, and was built on tremendous individual displays, rather than on a collective performance, aided by some boneheaded mistakes and soft defense from the opposition, but I'll take it.

We do need to tighten the ruck better (wasn't as bad as last week against the scum from Brookvale), and our defense on the right side is a bit of a nightmare. Kodi is a massive liability, whether he's being a turnstile or forcing his mates inside and outside of him to compress towards him (Roberts got caught a few times doing this, as did Su'a) and open up space for the opposition to run around. This is magnified by a positionally practically non-existing fullback.
The ***** had a field day out there on their left side attack exploiting holes inside Su'a and outside Roberts, and had this been the other way around, we would justifiably be pissed at the many opportunities gone begging.

Boyd - 3
He's the captain, and as such, has a higher burden of performance. I'm not going to keep repeating myself, but after his first run I though... "yes, that's what I want to see from you!". Then he just went mostly back to the usual apathetic stuff with a little flash here and there, was nowhere to be found on Cordner's try, and made my blood boil with that Cartwrightesque effort on Keary's second try.

Oates - 7.5
Invaluable making meters from our line and doing what great wingers do... scoring tries with almost every opportunity.

Opacic - -
No score for obvious reasons.

Roberts - 7
Was headed for a score of 3 after the initial 40, but more than redeemed himself in the second stanza, ending up on top of his duel with his opposition centre.

Isaako - 8
Not much to blame him for defensively this time. He still gets caught out in no man's land, but there wasn't a lot he could do about the rampage inside him. No one can ever take that glorious Lockyeresque try from him, just fantastic!

Milford - 6
He's working so hard to do both halves jobs, is tough, and has massively improved his defense. I don't think he was particularly good yesterday while in possession, and his kicking was barely on par, often straight into Tedesco's lap, which is probably the one thing you want to avoid.

Kodi - 2
I normally don't take too much heed of a half's defense (Locky is my favourite player by far, and was little more than a speed bump), as long as he brings what we require from a half. Kodi was nowhere to be seen in possession (except knocking the **** out of Matterson with a kick and a great one on one tackle on Keary), and is making life incredibly hard for Milford in attack, as well as Roberts and Su'a in defense. The latter doesn't have Gillo's experience and defensive steel to be able to mind Nikorima.

Lodge - 7.5
Probably one of the best games he has played in the last weeks. Does the job, and does it well.

Macca - 6
His miss on Liu costs him, but he was still the winner of the hookers clash last night.

Thaiday - 5
Given how bare the cupboard is, starting him is a necessity. He didn't do too bad this time, not great either, and shares responsibility with Macca on Liu's try.

TPJ - 9.5
Too bad about that one silly offload. One of the most dominant performances by a backrower I can remember. I am in true awe of this magnificent bastard!

Su'a - 7
Mixed bag due to a few mistakes, but also forcing them on the opposition with stinging defense and running with purpose. I think a try was taken off him, as he was pushed before taking possession of the ball. Should've been a penalty, not a 7 tackles set for the *****.

Ofahengaue - 8.5
Needs to start alongside Lodge. He's a middle forward that thrives with minutes and won't let anyone down. Awesome work rate, not error prone and very solid overal.

Tagataese - 6
Not too many minutes, but did his job.

Sims - 5
Was his usual not so good self, until he wasn't. He's ugly, but trying to reconstruct his head with elbow and head-butts is probably taking it a bit too far. That image of Napa's cranium straight up his noggin is a shocker!

Mago - 4
Saw too little of him to really evaluate.

Staggs - 9
Welcome to the NRL young buck! Excellent work in defense and attack, but let's see whether you can keep this up. Up there in terms of debut quality and it was awesome to see how deservedly proud your family was of your work.

Coach - 5
As long as Boyd is fullback, and Kodi the 7, while performing as they are, this will be the maximum score. If that dig at the young forwards from last week was meant to make them go another level, it definitely worked. Can you please do the same for the older experienced heads... because they really are the ones needing it!

Refs - 6
I honestly don't think Napa's action was a deliberate head knock, but it certainly was a penalty and reportable act. Whether it warranted a sin bin is questionable though...
As mentioned before, I think Su'a was deliberately pushed while trying to reach for the ball. It should have been a penalty, but there was only a fraction of a second involved and I won't crucify the refs for it. ***** got a few easy piggyback penalties which could've been costly, but overal far from the worst reffing display I've seen.

Good post. Agree with most of it. I thought you marked Milford a little harsh though. One of his more rounded performances imo. Played the organiser and kicker while showing a little more of his running game than he has this year. His defense was really good once again. He put a lot of kicks down Tedesco throat I thought it must have been intentional to keep them in the middle corridor.

N

Number6

QCup Player
May 21, 2016
I thought the Napa penalty and sin bin was a shocker. Napa tried to put a huge shot on, Sims stepped to avoid Napa, and they accidently clashed heads. Was just unfortunate contact that sometimes happens in league.

Reducing the Roosters to 12 men had a big outcome on the game and Napa being taken out of the middle of the defence gave Isaako a big advantage to score that try.

I'm happy to get the win but we were certainly helped by that refereeing decision.

Was reckless and dangerous for both. For me penalty, on report not a bin. Hope sin bin means no suspension for origin.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Not a penalty and if that's not a bombed try, then I don't know what is.

Certain people would be crucifying the player if it was someone they weren't in love with.. For example, someone who's first name begins with K and ends with N.

ezgif-1-25ca28086f.gif

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
On face value the bin was harsh but I think ( and agree ) the refs are trying to put the onus back to the players for things like this.
If you are going to be full on aggressive and it turns dangerous then you cop the consequences. Players have been able to hide behind the accident or unintended outcome excuse for too long backed up by most of the commentators who have failed to grasp that the game has changed.
**** me, some of the commentators only just stopped short of blaming Sims for the entire thing because he changed direction.
The more players get binned for that type of tackle the sooner they stop taking chances that result in bad injuries. That could have been so much worse for Sims.

It was completely reckless. He went flying in head first without even looking. Even if his intention was to put on a hit with the shoulder, it didn't end up that way.

It was worthy of a sin bin IMO and it's about time the onus is on the players to take more responsibility.

Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
How is simms and opacic? I missed the Simms thing as the night doctor showed up (got back just in time to see isaaku show his magic). Seems a bit harsh the sin binning but agree with the penalty. I'd like to see staggs get another run. He probably has a few things to work on, but looked good for his time there. I was very impressed with his pass to Oates. That showed some maturity that a few of our other centres in days gone lacked, and they were a few years older.
He seems to read the play well. A few more years and he might be something special. I guess we'll wait and see. He is still very young and has some growing to do.
Did anyone see his positional play off the ball?

Tommy is fine, at the recovery session today i believe, just a bit of neck soreness. Haven't heard a lot about Sims. I thought he was in real trouble.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Tommy is fine, at the recovery session today i believe, just a bit of neck soreness. Haven't heard a lot about Sims. I thought he was in real trouble.

Sims is fine.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
1. Boyd - Once again, started off strong hitting it up with plenty of energy, then goes MIA 20 minutes in after he's gassed in record time. He either has to take a massive pay cut or wrap it up. 4
2. Oates - Had a huge game with kick returns and an easy try served up by Staggs. Certain members of our backline and spine could learn a thing or two from his work ethic. 7
3. Opa - Nothing to say really. Knocked out two minutes in which invites Staggs into the fray to take his spot in the side going forward. Opa is gonna need to churn out something special to be seen again this year outside of injury coverage. Unrated
4. Roberts - Got toweled up in the 1st half by Mitchell but as soon as Wayne got into his ear, he came out in the 2nd and played his way into the Blues side (sadly). Could well have scored the try of the year with that pearler. 8
5. Isaako - No doubt his best game so far in 1st grade. Still suspect as **** in defence but supported Roberts well for 1 try then scores with a brilliant individual effort to win the game which made Cronk look stupid. 7
6. Milf - Is starting to look like a game manager more and more every week which is great to see. Carries Nikorima on top of that and still shows glimpses of his individual brilliance. Should be on the bench for Origin but probably won't be. 8
7. Nikorima - The invisible man, both in attack and especially in defence. Bennett should ban him from kicking it. With all of the young guys coming through now he'll struggle to even make the bench. 3
8. Lodge - Is delivering consistency every week which is about all we need from him. He's basically Wallace but better. 7
9. Macca - Played his way into Origin? Maybe. He was his typical defensive best but he still royally sucks in attack. 6
10. Thaiday - Give it up Sam. Please. You're done mate. Get a job with the Footy Show and be paid to act stupid OFF field. 2
11. TPJ - What can be said really. A revelation of the highest order. Monstered the Rorters small men all night and never stopped. The penalty and sin binning at the end was stupid but who cares, it changed nothing. 9
12. Su'a - Pretty error prone but you can put that down to being green still. He cleans that up and his skill ceiling is pretty high. Between him and TPJ in the 11 and 12 (with Gillett waiting in the wings), Glenn's time as a Bronco is done folks. 7
13. Offa - Good, bad, good, bad and he just had his good again. Considering the amount of games he has played now, he seriously needs to get that consistency sorted, especially with so many young guys up his ass now. 6

14. Taga - Was going pretty well I thought but disappears after a few hitups which I can only put down to Bennett hooking him. Something weird going on there when you have an experienced prop like that who can barely find minutes with the injury list we are carrying at the moment, especially so with washed up scrubs like Thaiday and Sims still getting a run. 5
15. Sims - When getting knocked out by a flying headbutt is the highlight of your night, you know something is not working. I'm not sure what we expected from getting a player that Newcastle offloaded. Should follow Thaifood out the door. 4
16. Mago - I can't even remember him being out there, so hardly an inspiring debut like the next guy. Didn't make any major mistakes though so he has that going for him. 4
17. Staggs - There's one for the family memorabilia. Pretty much exactly how you'd want your debut in 1st grade to go. Solid in defence, AND net yourself a try and try assist in attack. He's earned himself a legit shot imo. He's done more in 80 minutes than Opacic has in multiple games. 8

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
1. Boyd - Once again, started off strong hitting it up with plenty of energy, then goes MIA 20 minutes in after he's gassed in record time. He either has to take a massive pay cut or wrap it up. 4
2. Oates - Had a huge game with kick returns and an easy try served up by Staggs. Certain members of our backline and spine could learn a thing or two from his work ethic. 7
3. Opa - Nothing to say really. Knocked out two minutes in which invites Staggs into the fray to take his spot in the side going forward. Opa is gonna need to churn out something special to be seen again this year outside of injury coverage. Unrated
4. Roberts - Got toweled up in the 1st half by Mitchell but as soon as Wayne got into his ear, he came out in the 2nd and played his way into the Blues side (sadly). Could well have scored the try of the year with that pearler. 8
5. Isaako - No doubt his best game so far in 1st grade. Still suspect as **** in defence but supported Roberts well for 1 try then scores with a brilliant individual effort to win the game which made Cronk look stupid. 7
6. Milf - Is starting to look like a game manager more and more every week which is great to see. Carries Nikorima on top of that and still shows glimpses of his individual brilliance. Should be on the bench for Origin but probably won't be. 8
7. Nikorima - The invisible man, both in attack and especially in defence. Bennett should ban him from kicking it. With all of the young guys coming through now he'll struggle to even make the bench. 3
8. Lodge - Is delivering consistency every week which is about all we need from him. He's basically Wallace but better. 7
9. Macca - Played his way into Origin? Maybe. He was his typical defensive best but he still royally sucks in attack. 6
10. Thaiday - Give it up Sam. Please. You're done mate. Get a job with the Footy Show and be paid to act stupid OFF field. 2
11. TPJ - What can be said really. A revelation of the highest order. Monstered the Rorters small men all night and never stopped. The penalty and sin binning at the end was stupid but who cares, it changed nothing. 9
12. Su'a - Pretty error prone but you can put that down to being green still. He cleans that up and his skill ceiling is pretty high. Between him and TPJ in the 11 and 12 (with Gillett waiting in the wings), Glenn's time as a Bronco is done folks. 7
13. Offa - Good, bad, good, bad and he just had his good again. Considering the amount of games he has played now, he seriously needs to get that consistency sorted, especially with so many young guys up his ass now. 6

14. Taga - Was going pretty well I thought but disappears after a few hitups which I can only put down to Bennett hooking him. Something weird going on there when you have an experienced prop like that who can barely find minutes with the injury list we are carrying at the moment, especially so with washed up scrubs like Thaiday and Sims still getting a run. 5
15. Sims - When getting knocked out by a flying headbutt is the highlight of your night, you know something is not working. I'm not sure what we expected from getting a player that Newcastle offloaded. Should follow Thaifood out the door. 4
16. Mago - I can't even remember him being out there, so hardly an inspiring debut like the next guy. Didn't make any major mistakes though so he has that going for him. 4
17. Staggs - There's one for the family memorabilia. Pretty much exactly how you'd want your debut in 1st grade to go. Solid in defence, AND net yourself a try and try assist in attack. He's earned himself a legit shot imo. He's done more in 80 minutes than Opacic has in multiple games. 8
This is pretty good except you are much too harsh on Sammy and Offa deserves a 8. You've nailed the rest.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Not a penalty and if that's not a bombed try, then I don't know what is.

Certain people would be crucifying the player if it was someone they weren't in love with.. For example, someone who's first name begins with K and ends with N.

ezgif-1-25ca28086f.gif

That makes Su'a look completely uncoordinated lol

ZTop

ZTop

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Feb 28, 2016
tbf to Daniel he was talking him up before anybody else knew who he was. Let's give him this one.

Brings his record to 1/48674938574739584
Can we let him back now

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
This is pretty good except you are much too harsh on Sammy and Offa deserves a 8. You've nailed the rest.

I'll give you Joe O, I am pretty critical of him, but I completely disagree on Sam. He's the most experienced player in our side apart from Boyd and somehow he's playing even worse than he is. Sucks in defence, really doesn't stand out in Prop duties in terms of metres gained, is good for a quick PTB but that's about it. For a former rep player that will make 300 this year if he doesn't go down injured or dropped, it's not unusual to expect much, MUCH more from him than that.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I can't stop watching the Roberts try.

The speed, the acceleration. I thought he was going to be tackled when he came back in but he completely burned Tedesco and still had enough speed left in him to straighten back up and beat the defenders coming from behind.

It's one of the best individual tries of the season.

Unread

Active Now

• Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.