Round 11 - Roosters vs Broncos

Most players are just copping their medicine, taking the early plea and moving on.

The Roosters, however, don’t seem to understand this notion of being held to the same rules as everyone else, so were most likely genuinely expecting to win at the judiciary.

Which makes their suspensions being upheld even more sweet.

He should have been eligible for Queensland, his Dad, Jim( Jumbo ) Keary sat beside me in class in Ipswich. I don't know what made him a nsw player but perhaps Jim moved to nsw when Luke was a teen and he played down there?
Yeah, he played his junior footy with my old club in nsw

I’m ok with people getting off if contact is unavoidable because that would be common sense, crightons wasn’t though...sook it up roosters.
He also wasnt charged for contact with the head, he was charged for one of those late hits after someone has passed the ball.

There's also no way it was accidental because it was ages late... Albert had passed the ball back on the inside (so Crichton wouldve seen it) and then taken a couple steps.

The wanks on 360 last night were trying to downplay it and suggesting it was associated with the recent crackdown... but I think it's been in effect for several years now, because of their fucking complaining over Cronk being hit a split second after he passed it.

One thing that I find funny is that on that hit and on the first Radley hit Albert could've stayed down, but instead he gets straight back to his feet.

If he lays down for the Radley shot there's a huge chance Radley is sent off (was off the ground and collected a kicker in the head with his shoulder.... Papa should be filthy he was sent for a lesser incident the week before). On the Crichton one i think the MRC charged him, but if Albert stays down he could've been binned for 10mins.

Perhaps Albert isn't used to laying down because he's been playing ISC where there's no bunker or video to penalise foul play... or because he's used to ESL which sounds like they've changed rules around vid ref penalties to deter players from laying down.

He also wasnt charged for contact with the head, he was charged for one of those late hits after someone has passed the ball.

There's also no way it was accidental because it was ages late... Albert had passed the ball back on the inside (so Crichton wouldve seen it) and then taken a couple steps.

The wanks on 360 last night were trying to downplay it and suggesting it was associated with the recent crackdown... but I think it's been in effect for several years now, because of their fucking complaining over Cronk being hit a split second after he passed it.

One thing that I find funny is that on that hit and on the first Radley hit Albert could've stayed down, but instead he gets straight back to his feet.

If he lays down for the Radley shot there's a huge chance Radley is sent off (was off the ground and collected a kicker in the head with his shoulder.... Papa should be filthy he was sent for a lesser incident the week before). On the Crichton one i think the MRC charged him, but if Albert stays down he could've been binned for 10mins.

Perhaps Albert isn't used to laying down because he's been playing ISC where there's no bunker or video to penalise foul play... or because he's used to ESL which sounds like they've changed rules around vid ref penalties to deter players from laying down.
The diving shit has got to stop, the problem is the refs and bunker got sucked into it just like “football” did until enough was enough and they started carding people for embellishment.

That's the only reason you're getting off, all contact with the head is deemed unnecessary and careless unless you can prove it was accidental- unavoidable.
So when someone falls into a tackle and the guy coming over the top has already locked and loaded at what would be considered chest height prior to descent of the tackled player... could this be considered unavoidable? Afterall, no one aims their tackles at someones knees in anticipation that they are going to fall at the line... unless you're tedesco?

The diving shit has got to stop, the problem is the refs and bunker got sucked into it just like “football” did until enough was enough and they started carding people for embellishment.
I posted about it a while ago, but NRL shot themselves in the foot when they ramped up the grading for crusher tackles and hitting players late.... It was basically the same crackdown they're doing now except on those two offences.

What ended up happening is players were being put on report for minor and accidental crusher tackles or players being hit a split second after passing/kicking it. When that is combined with the already existing rule of the bunker being able to interject and recommend a penalty for reportable acts of foul play, it meant that players could lie down for minor offences and more often than not they would get a penalty.

They originally changed the rule to it having to be a reportable offence, because players were laying down for a minor slap across the face and because it was foul play the bunker had to step in and give a penalty. When they changed it to reportable everyone just stood there with time off and waited for whoever it was trying to get the penalty to get up and play it. But they basically just ended up killing their team's momentum and had to live with the ridicule of being a weak ass little bitch. So players basically stopped diving unless they really copped one across the face.

They have now lowered what is deemed reportable for high shots... so now players can just stay down for any minor high shots, crushers or being hit late (including being hit off the ball). Except this shit happens all the time in the game so players are now constantly diving or wasting time for the bunker to check it to see if they'll get a penalty... or now if they can get someone sent off.

I think it was James Graham who indicated that in the ESL they changed the rule from being reportable to it having to be a sin bin or send off offence for the bunker to interject with the penalty... and their MRC picks up any reportable ones after the game.

This approach is exactly where the NRL now needs to go with it.

If a player is lying down, but the ref misses it then he can just call time off, tell the player to hand the ball over to someone else to play it and move on... the bunker can then review it in the background and if it's sin bin worthy they call time off go back to the incident and send the player off... it's basically what they did in the broncos game for Radley.

Both broncos got up and played on, the bunker reviewed it and came back to send him off.

Of course the commentators got up in arms, because they weren't used to players actually getting up and playing on... I daresay if Albert stays down and Radley is sent off straight away, rather than being sent off 4 tackles later, than this probably becomes a non-issue. The commentators and NSWRL in general are pushing this agenda that because the game was played on and the ref initially missed it that shouldering someone in the face (twice) somehow didn't warrant being sin binned.

Rather than applauding the broncos players for getting up and playing on for what is obviously a sin bin offence they have ramped up that Radley was somehow unfairly binned (even though the idiot was put on report 4 times and should've been sent off completely for the first one that he put on Albert).

Active Now

• Lurker
  • Jazza
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
  • Astro
  • ivanhungryjak
  • levikaden
  • Dash
  • Midean
  • theshed
  • Browny
  • heartly87
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Wolfie
  • Financeguy
  • Battler
  • Broncorob
  • johnny plath
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.