Round 11 - Tigers v Broncos - Post Match Discussion

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
I just think that Griffin has not created a game plan in which Barba can be dangerous, I believe Barba is just playing the way he has been told to, not how he wants to.

i think this is a large part.

if the inside men arent getting him involved in attack theres not much he can do.

he doesnt really go looking for the ball though either.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Didn't read the live discussion thread but a fairly shit performance IMO. How they missed that shoulder charge in the Macca sandwich after looking at it about 5 times is beyond me. Looked like it connected with the head to me as well.

Ben Hunt. Loving the way he is playing right now. Not only is it satisfying as a Broncos fan, it's satisfying on a personal level. I work with a number of people who were saying (early season) he's shit and should be dropped while I maintained he should be persisted with because he'd shown glimpses, playing off the bench for the last 4yrs, let him settle etc etc. Enjoying watching them turn into fanboys.

Haha so much this. One of my best mates used to rip the shit out if hunt and I would keep saying give him a chance. Now he's gushing over him like a school girl. I remember what you said dave!

J

jrocsixone

May 24, 2014
woah chillax he had a poor game yes but now ur sounding like a bulldogs fan....interesting

WTF? bulldogs fan no, just no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what has ben barba done, answer me that.
Hoffman>ben "im scared" barba

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Why would Barba even try to pick up the ball and run with it in the last 40? FFS, just dive on it... I'm not even happy with the win, not enjoyable...

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
don really get bashing barba he was very quiet but there was just nothing on offer for him. no offloads. they didnt kick to him at all. i get the feel he is just following orders

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
That was just god awful game how are we meant to take that to the Sea Eagles next week

Where would we be without Hunt? He is keeping this season alive for us what more can a young halfback behind a out muscled forward pack and with no help by his fullback and halves partner do?

Lowrie had a great game for us his best by far well done him and Corey Oates had a great game should have gotten more minutes but bloody exciting to see him coming through

I feel for Francis Molo with Griffin unable to use props properly he was a passenger on debut but I'm glad to see our future players coming through

Ben Barba. Let's hope Bennett is on the way he is the man to fix an out of form and very troubled player. I absolutely despise the idea of Hoffman at fullback but barba isn't deserving of it

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Tigers were offside the whole game and we couldn't hold onto the ball.

This routine of doing something good and then following it up with errors is getting old fast.

Barba has had enough time to find some form and confidence and has provided very little in return, he needs to spend some time in Qld Cup.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
don really get bashing barba he was very quiet but there was just nothing on offer for him. no offloads. they didnt kick to him at all. i get the feel he is just following orders

Where were the plays structured to make use of Barba? I didn't see any. It was all ad hoc, one out shit.

Barba may have lost his speed and footwork running the ball back, but his role was to be our 2nd play maker, which he did pretty well in a few games.

What's happened? I cannot understand the coaching, just cannot get my head around it

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
barbas just too fat at the moment which is another coaching failure.. lets bulk up our best attacking weapon. yeah great idea that one.

lets play a winger with no ball skills at 6 but fatten up our 1 to play sort of as a 6 too. maybe.

Last edited:
LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
i think this is a large part.

if the inside men arent getting him involved in attack theres not much he can do.

he doesnt really go looking for the ball though either.

Nah I disagree NT...to some extent anyway. He's not sniffing around it like he was at the Dogs, but he is quite often hanging around the play the ball, running from one side of the ruck to the other...he does a lot of work off the ball to keep the opposition guessing. But without showing really a glimmer of what he can do so far this year (bar a couple of efforts last week and the week before) there's no reason for the opposition to second guess. He's lost his speed, and his confidence, and he seems to be playing on one leg. **** I wish Griff would rest him, stick Maranta at the back, I think he's deserved it with how he's played this year. How Reed keeps getting a gig over Maranta is beyond me. His 'defence' I guess, he does manage to make those couple of good tackles every game...

jd87

jd87

NRL Captain
Apr 4, 2014
WTF? bulldogs fan no, just no!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what has ben barba done, answer me that.
Hoffman>ben "im scared" barba

nothing at all he has been mostly poor all season but honesty saying **** barba hes a bitch etc. with such hatred is the exact same bs u see on the bulldogs forum about any player that doesnt play well for them. were better then that and dont need it to start happening here

Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013

It's pretty obvious now that Barba is being told how to play. He should have an entire attacking structure based around him, yet we tell him to play safe and stay in one spot.

T

Taylor1921

QCup Player
Apr 18, 2014
Shit win, Barba was absolutely shocking.. Not one hit up in 40 mins of football is horrible your a fullback your suppose to follow the football more than anyone. Vidot played great 197 metres! Copley was decent apart from his brain explosion when he tried flicking the ball to maranta. Maranta was great! Hunt is winning matches by himself. Oates was great should start over Glenn or thaiday after origin. Molo didn't get a real opportunity so can't judge. Reed is shit, McCullough surprisingly was real quite. Hoffman looks like a 5 year old girl when someone goes to touch them with the ball and they through it into the air or ground he's shit!

Painin the Haas

Painin the Haas

NRL Player
Nov 10, 2013
I just think that Griffin has not created a game plan in which Barba can be dangerous, I believe Barba is just playing the way he has been told to, not how he wants to.

This is a good point and I believe it, a player can't just forget how to be dangerous and what he did previously and been a success must been told to do otherwise

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Playing Hoffman at 6 just screws up the whole structure, and I think Barba is suffering the most from that individually.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
An ugly win but I'll take them anyway possible around this time of the year.

Two very similar teams, some players stood up for both sides, others were exposed and some weren't even on the paddock.

Brisbane clearly have a lot to work on in all facets but a win is a win and sometimes it's these real ugly ones that help turn things around.

Naming names for a second.

I was impressed by Ben Hunt. I can see why others didn't rate him but he's a footballer and more importantly, he's a Bronco who isn't going to die wondering. You can nit pick every facet of his game till the cows came home but you wouldn't be able to see the forest from the trees, guy is a footballer and is one reason why I enjoy watching my footy.

Other comments...

Been reading a lot of comments about the Fox coverage and for whatever reason, I couldn't bring myself to criticise until I sat down, watched this game and was reminded of all the things I hate. Replays take an age and rarely happen, stupid innovations like referee cam which was just pointless and the stylings of Brandy. In fairness, it sounded like the ABC call was even worse so I'm glad I ended up with what I had.

Brooks is a special talent, but players like him don't come every so often. Just a raw natural talent with good instincts, he's going to be exciting to watch...even in a Sky Blue.

Thought #208 did some decent things tonight but struggled with the speed of the game. It will take him time, first impressions can often be deceiving and I'd much rather see him get an opportunity over others.

Plenty for the boys to work on for next week but a nice little morale booster during a torrid time for the club.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Lostboy
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Old Mate
  • Spike
  • vertigo
  • mitch222
  • Tim K
  • Swordfish
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Wolfie
  • Alec
  • Johnny92
  • Santa
  • Allo
  • Jazza
  • maximus84
  • MrRobot
... and 20 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.