11 S. Sorensen 0 0 0 0 1 1 35 2 0 14 0 0 0m 104m 0 0
12 Z. Hosking 0 0 0 0 2 1 32 1 0 17 0 0 0m 76m 0 0
13 I. Yeo 0 0 0 0 3 1 42 1 0 17 0 0 0m 140m 1 1
14 S. Luke 0 0 0 0 0 0 9 1 0 4 4 0 0m 18m 0 0
15 L. Smith 0 0 0 0 0 0 26 0 0 10 0 0 0m 61m 0 0
16 L. Martin 0 0 0 0 4 4 14 2 0 13 0 0 0m 83m 0 0
17 J. Salmon 0 0 0 0 0 0 7 1 0 6 0 0 0m 37m 0 0
19 L. Garner 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0m 0m 0 0

Maybe that's because you haven't completely forgotten last season: the unexpected high expectations dashed through a domino series of flops.

Now scrub back to the preseason and remember your expectations for 2023: we must make the eight. Kevvie has x weeks to save his job.

Now we're contemplating our chances of a premiership and anticipate this season's team - with Flegler, Farnworth and a 32 year old Adam Reynolds - might be stronger than next season.

Our expectations are as fickle as our concerns.
Still plenty of time left to miss the 8

I'm feeling nauseous......hasn't this been discussed, a billion times?

Name someone Kev/Broncs should go after that's available, if you want a potential marquee dummy half.
Yes. As is having to continually explain identifying a weakness isn't the same as advocating a solution (or "agenda" as simpletons like to put it).

So what has changed that has made that issue go away?

So do you think that if the Panthers lose Cleary, they are unlikely to beat other top four teams? At best 50:50 with him in? Let’s not forget, they’ve already lost to the Tigers this year…and us…and the Rabbits. Do you think swapping Kenny into our line up (he’s the starting hooker not Luke) will make a world of difference over Walters?

Last year we were in the top 4 until round 19. This year we were leading the comp until we ran into one of the worst refereeing performances of all time, even acknowledged by the NRL by dropping said officials and losing our captain for most of that game and this one and even so, we were still a couple of 50/50s away from winning both.

Plus we beat the defending premiers at their home. This doesn’t shout we can’t beat top 4 teams with Walters to me. How does it scream that to you?
It screams what we saw against the Storm, Rabbitohs and Penrith. It screams our attack loses its way without Reynolds. It screams that if we are to continue with Mam and Walsh (recommended) we need someone else in the spine to take the reigns. Regardless of what good value he is, how hard he's trying, and how much he's improved, that's still not Billy, is it?

NRL officiating is horrendous
I don't agree in general, but there have certainly been some howlers the last couple of weeks. I think progress is being made on the hip drop ruling, that's a start. But Gee over-ruling the bunker, the Sorenson no-try and Luai not getting sent off, fucking hell, wtf.

Yes. As is having to continually explain identifying a weakness isn't the same as advocating a solution (or "agenda" as simpletons like to put it).

So what has changed that has made that issue go away?
"Identifying a weakness"........a billion times.

So whats changed?

We're sitting near the top of the ladder........

"Identifying a weakness"........a billion times.

So whats changed?

We're sitting near the top of the ladder........
We've lost 3 out of the last 4 games. What changed in all 3 losses was our spine. My opinion is we have Mam and Walsh locked in, so we either need more experience/game management from 9 or whoever's next in our halves depth. If we lose Walsh we're really fucked.

And did Capewell talk to the ref once last night?
Even if he did, I’m sure no one will hear a word. With his voice, it’s hard to catch what he’s talking during pressers with the mike front of him.

This is one area we clearly lack for ages. Our captains are soft & they just go by what the Reff says on the field. I wish we’ve someone like a Cam Smith mould.

This is one area we clearly lack for ages. Our captains are soft & they just go by what the Reff says on the field. I wish we’ve someone like a Cam Smith mould.

Reynolds frequently talks to the ref when a call goes against us. He may not do it at that time, but the next stop in play he's in the refs ear and bringing up incidents that happened to us that the ref overlooked.

What more do you want him to do? Say to the ref you're a shit **** for making a shit call?

Settle down mate. Cam Smith is miles ahead when it comes to being in the Reffs ears all the time. Agree that Adam does it often but he’s miles behind Smith doing consistently & getting away with it.

For the smarts of Smith, he would even go to the extent of “Say to the ref you're a shit **** for making a shit call?” and would still get away with no misdemeanors. That’s one of the reasons I hated him when he has his Storm jumper on but cherished him when he did the same in a Maroons jumper.

go back and rewatch every single game this year ... i doubt you'll see "only the captain" questioning the ref in any of them

I also saw a Ref tell a player ; don`t talk to me you are not the Captain .

D

^^^^ This.... getting so sick of it.
It truly is a lottery now. Last night was the first time in my life I started to agree with the fans who have said they are ready to give the game away. I was so deflated on the train home because we just can't seem to get "the rub of the green".
It’s interesting that you talk about ‘the rub of the green’ because I was thinking this same thing last night and it has completely gone from the game. It is a key part of every sport but the overuse of the bunker has completely removed it and it has killed the game. If you look at all the no-try’s on Thursday night and even the Suruva try if you take the bunker out of the equation that’s all rub of the green. It happens and you can live with it. Fans who are certain Turuva was a double movement are happy to let that go because when you don’t nit pick shit like the Staggs no try, or the Hetherington or Sorenson ‘knock on’ as a fan of either team you are happy with the 50/50’s and know you will get it back with ‘the rub of the green’.

The bunker and more importantly the overuse of it has killed this. If you are going to use the bunker for it to be fair it has to get everything right or nothing at all. Right now even when they review even unbiased commentators can’t agree on the call and then you get to the issue of the stuff they don’t even look at.

Problem is you can’t get rid of the bunker. With what they have invested in it and how it has changed the game you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. They won’t do this but the only fair way out of this in my opinion is to leave the bunker to only rule on reportable offences that are missed or on a captain’s challenge, including and most importantly tries. Even if you have to give teams additional challenges but take it back to it being a try or no try based on the refs call and then it is up to the captains to decide if they want to challenge.

For instance with Sorenson’s no try, that looks like a try every day of the week so if you want it reviewed you use your challenge. I would be comfortable in saying our captain wouldn’t have challenged so right away you get some rub of the green back. Conversely with the ‘Hetherington knock on’ it looks like a try and Cleary probably asks Kenny if it was dropped or did he knock it out and they let it go. Rub of the green.

Sure there will be media and fans that that will question those calls but most reasonable people will just say you win some you lose some.

It’s interesting that you talk about ‘the run of the green’ because I was thinking this same thing last night and it has completely gone from the game. It is a key part of every sport but the overuse of the bunker has completely removed it and it has killed the game. If you look at all the no-try’s on Thursday night and even the Suruva try if you take the bunker out of the equation that’s all rub of the green. It happens and you can live with it. Fans who are certain Turuva was a double movement are happy to let that go because when you don’t not pick shit like the Staggs no try, or the Hetherington or Sorenson ‘knock on’ as a fan of either team you are happy with the 50/50’s and know you will get it back with ‘the rub of the green’.

The bunker and more importantly the overuse of it has killed this. If you are going to use the bunker for it to be fair it has to get everything right or nothing at all. Right now even when they review even unbiased commentators can’t agree on the call and then you get to the issue of the stuff they don’t even look at.

Problem is you can’t get rid of the bunker. With what they have invested in it and how it has changed the game you can’t put the genie back in the bottle. They won’t do this but the only fair way out of this in my opinion is to leave the bunker to only rule on reportable offences that are missed or on a captain’s challenge, including and most importantly tries. Even if you have to give teams additional challenges but take it back to it being a try or no try based on the refs call and then it is up to the captains to decide if they want to challenge.

For instance with Sorenson’s no try, that looks like a try every day of the week so if you want it reviewed you use your challenge. I would be comfortable in saying our captain wouldn’t have challenged so right away you get some run of the green back. Conversely with the ‘Hetherington knock on’ it looks like a try and Cleary probably asks Kenny if it was dropped or did he knock it out and they let it go. Rub of the green.

Sure there will be media and fans that that will question those calls but most reasonable people will just say you win some you lose some.
I agree with evey thing you say here. The bunker and the 6 again have to be the two most contentious issues in our game. When I say this, I mean they are slowly killing it, not as some of the hierarchy think - serving the game and making it better through excitement and drama and thus getting the game discussed in all walks of life.

Sadly, the discussions that are going on at present are mostly based around the glaring inconsistencies of the 'interpretations' of the rules and how these inconsistencies are turning people away from the game.

I started following the game in 1989 and the Broncos was the team for me.

Since then I have formulated my own saying when watching our games. It's called "The Broncos exception". When someone asks me what just happened during a Broncos game, I explain the rule and then explain why it does not apply to us because of "The Broncos exception rule".

Time and time again since I started watching this game there seems to be an interpretation that duds us but then it never seems to be seen again for any other team.

The on-field referee overruling the bunker the other night was a prime example. It's never happened before but it does and will continue to happen simply because of "The Broncos exception" rule.

It’s interesting that you talk about ‘the rub of the green’ because I was thinking this same thing last night and it has completely gone from the game. It is a key part of every sport but the overuse of the bunker has completely removed it and it has killed the game. If you look at all the no-try’s on Thursday night and even the Suruva try if you take the bunker out of the equation that’s all rub of the green. It happens and you can live with it. Fans who are certain Turuva was a double movement are happy to let that go because when you don’t nit pick shit like the Staggs no try, or the Hetherington or Sorenson ‘knock on’ as a fan of either team you are happy with the 50/50’s and know you will get it back with ‘the rub of the green’.

For instance with Sorenson’s no try, that looks like a try every day of the week so if you want it reviewed you use your challenge. I would be comfortable in saying our captain wouldn’t have challenged so right away you get some rub of the green back. Conversely with the ‘Hetherington knock on’ it looks like a try and Cleary probably asks Kenny if it was dropped or did he knock it out and they let it go. Rub of the green.

These are all good points but who are these unbiased commentators you speak of?

As a lover of the game, I'd like to see that try awarded but on second look it's the movement of his left elbow in shifting his weight forward that might be controversial.

I'd prefer they erred on the side of attacker. Having a try disallowed because of a forensic double movement ruling is always pretty sucky. Even more so if it's us scoring it.
Wouldn't have been awarded if we were the attacking team....

B4L is right when he says...the bunker is here to stay.

It should only be used to judge tries when the ref sends it up stairs for review....IMO.

Thats it....
everything else......stay the **** out of it.

As a lover of the game, I'd like to see that try awarded but on second look it's the movement of his left elbow in shifting his weight forward that might be controversial.

I'd prefer they erred on the side of attacker. Having a try disallowed because of a forensic double movement ruling is always pretty sucky. Even more so if it's us scoring it.
I thought it was a clear cut double movement.

He was tackled short and lifted his arm off the ground to plant the ball.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Fitzy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.