Suncorp Stadium

Thursday
Night
19:50

Panthers

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was heartening to see the boys still have a dig even when the spine was 2 twenty year olds, no halfback and Billy playing hooker for 70 minutes.

Makes you more confident that we can get away with just a competent halfback. Not sold Madden fits that description though.

Rogers maybe
I'd like to see Rogers get a crack. Seemed by far the most controlled of our depth halves in the trials.

No idea how he's going in Q Cup, could be hopeless for all I know.

Let's give Madden another shot, a bit unfair to say a guy isn't up to it after 1 game out of position. He may well not be good enough but he deserves another shot.

People were bagging out Ilias relentlessly last year, now he is the established halfback in the best team in the comp. Halves take time, we aren't talking about Luke Brooks here after 10 years of proving you aren't good enough still getting a shot.

Let's give Madden another shot, a bit unfair to say a guy isn't up to it after 1 game out of position. He may well not be good enough but he deserves another shot.

People were bagging out Ilias relentlessly last year, now he is the established halfback in the *still technically second* best team in the comp. Halves take time, we aren't talking about Luke Brooks here after 10 years of proving you aren't good enough still getting a shot.
Fixed.

I'd like to see Rogers get a crack. Seemed by far the most controlled of our depth halves in the trials.

No idea how he's going in Q Cup, could be hopeless for all I know.
Who was that bald guy? Is that Rogers? He seemed to be the one who followed the script the most.

Who was that bald guy? Is that Rogers? He seemed to be the one who followed the script the most.
That was Jack Ahearn.

I agree and that's one of his best assets. He always wants the ball and is great at organising the team to make sure they get the right shape before they go with the shift. It's the execution part that leaves something to be desired and I don't think he always takes the right options.

Rogers is a bigger body. He's got a good skill-set on him, my concern with him is that he's not assertive enough. He can play a support role, but with Ezra we really need somebody who can handle the majority of the kicking. Especially against Penrith who base their game around their back three.

That was Jack Ahearn.

I agree and that's one of his best assets. He always wants the ball and is great at organising the team to make sure they get the right shape before they go with the shift. It's the execution part that leaves something to be desired and I don't think he always takes the right options.

Rogers is a bigger body. He's got a good skill-set on him, my concern with him is that he's not assertive enough. He can play a support role, but with Ezra we really need somebody who can handle the majority of the kicking. Especially against Penrith who base their game around their back three.
Yeah it's a problem for us, that's why I feel Sailor is the best option in the halves, watching the trial games he was the only non regular spine player that came in and took some semblance of control at the end of sets, Madden and Rogers at times were lacking in demanding the ball at the end of sets and that can easily lead to the bs that fucked us in the Seibold years handing over ball in the middle of the park.

Yeah it's a problem for us, that's why I feel Sailor is the best option in the halves, watching the trial games he was the only non regular spine player that came in and took some semblance of control at the end of sets, Madden and Rogers at times were lacking in demanding the ball at the end of sets and that can easily lead to the bs that fucked us in the Seibold years handing over ball in the middle of the park.
What’s sailor like in defence?

Screenshot 20230512 175833

My issue with Sailor is that you already have Walsh & Mam there who like to chance their arm - Sailor almost makes them seem boring by comparison.

My issue with Sailor is that you already have Walsh & Mam there who like to chance their arm - Sailor almost makes them seem boring by comparison.
I don't feel we were that bad last night when it was just Walsh and Mam though(no idea who actually covered Reynos position), they seemed to share responsibility well, atleast much better then you would think.

I don't feel we were that bad last night when it was just Walsh and Mam though(no idea who actually covered Reynos position), they seemed to share responsibility well, atleast much better then you would think.
They did OK but their last play options were essentially a free turn over to the opposition. Adding one more to the mix is likely going to make things more chaotic.

I think we brought Jock here for a reason and just because he was a bit ordinary on his debut shouldn't mean we start scraping around for an alternative. I've seen him play much better when he was with the Tigpies and that's a really big achievement in itself. I think we should be giving him another go as I think he won't be as nervous and just might surprise a few people.

I do know he has a good game in him. With a full pack to play in front of him this time I think he'll have a wee bit more thinking time to get his game on.

We need to give players a bit of leeway to find their combinations in first grade. Unfortunately, the position he plays means he does not really have that luxury of easing into our team like say a winger or a second rower does.

Put this way, if we can put up with Capewell's short-comings week in week out, we can give young madden another go.

I thought we did quite well considering Reynolds is our organiser, our last play options were the biggest difference.
Walters looked to be covering 9 in attack and 7 in defence with Carrigan basically playing a half type role in attack and Staggs looked to move into the halves at one point toward the end. It was abit confusing from a fans point of view but the players and Kev knew what they were doing because we didn't fall apart with Reno going. It's like it may have been something have have trained for.

Penrith just pumped the Roosters.

A team back in ominous form right before playing us. Great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• broncotville
  • Xzei
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  • RolledOates
  • Kev_Guz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.