Round 12 - Storm vs Broncos - Post Match Discussion

I could dig Hunt coming on as an extra half and have Macca play the eighty.

Worst performance of the year without a doubt. Hard to swallow as a Broncos fan, especially the cold hard fact that this Broncos side (and every other since 2006) is unable to beat the Storm in the big games. We won't win a premiership unless someone else knocks the Storm out or one of the big three is injured/suspended.

The Storm are obviously the benchmark. There is no other team in the comp at their level.

So demoralising how shit we played last night and how this team can't perform in the big games. We just go to pieces in the early exchanges and then play catch up footy for the rest of the game.

That was a dissapointing defeat. If we took our chances early in the game who knows what could've happened. Shows you must play above your best if you are to beat the Storm. On a positive note I had a wonderful and magical night at my Year 12 formal.

That was a dissapointing defeat. If we took our chances early in the game who knows what could've happened. Shows you must play above your best if you are to beat the Storm. On a positive note I had a wonderful and magical night at my Year 12 formal.

Did you get laid?

Lolz!

year 12? I thought you were 14 bman?

Again, for mine, the losses so far are important only because they provide lessons to be learned for the business end of the season.

Last night's major lesson was to remain composed under pressure. That's why I reckon Wallace and Norman were so ordinary. The Storm just seriously pressured them. Oh, and Anderson just shouldn't be anywhere near this side.

My only ongoing concern with this team is that almost half way through the season, we are overdoing that stupid flat attack, where, Macca/Hunt gets the ball and passes to a runner who goes one-out. Then it repeats. And repeats. (Sure, if the play the ball is very quick and the runner is going full tilt, AND there's support, it can work well, but this year, the top sides, like the Storm have figured that one out and nullify it.)

And yet this season, there have been some absolutely sublime attacking plays. Like one game where Macca dummied outside then turned the ball inside to Gillett running a nice inside angle and he shreds the defence. It's similar to a move the Maroons use with Inglis running an inside angle. Or the way Glenn was set up a few times out wide with a nice short or long pass as he takes it running at speed. Or those quick passes out wide isolating a centre, or bringing the winger in.

And that is the issue: bodies were in motion, there was depth and support play. And we have shown this year that we can do it so damn well. We just don't do it enough. Way too often everyone is standing shallow & flat footed, and easy meat for the defence.

Am I wrong, or does Thaiday too often get the ball when he is flat footed, or just started to move, and inevitably there is no support? Same with Parker. Yet I remember one game when Sammy had the ball close to their line and gave a nicely held up pass to a runner who scored. Support play. Running. Moving. Not standing still, flat and shallow. Not giving the ball to Gillett when the defence is almost on top of him. Not using Hodges almost exclusively as a wide dummy half runner. What a waste of strike power!

It's like we sort of switch off, especially when we are pressured by quality defence, and revert to that one out stuff.

I reckon this side has everything it takes to make the top 4 at least. In particular, Norman and Wallace have done so well. McGuire's return running is awesome.

We just need to switch on more often in attack, remain composed under pressure, and we can beat the Storm, and any other team.

The only other thing I really miss (apart from Lockyer) is a ball playing full back.

Thought Anderson had one of his better games for us on Friday night??? No errors and decent stats for his 39 mins on the field.

Thought Anderson had one of his better games for us on Friday night??? No errors and decent stats for his 39 mins on the field.

I agree he did, but I just don't see him dominate at all, sort of like Nick Kenny ended up.

What did everyone think of starting Anderson over McGuire the other night? I know McGuire probably ended up playing more minutes anyway, but I reckon it would've been better off starting McGuire to give us the best chance of getting on the front foot early.

I still love you Hook.

Why's everyone so negative about this game ? I mean are top 3 didn't play, the refs let melbourne get away with lots of decisions that could've changed the game around, we poorly excuted in defence and attack. Everyone knows the broncos always go through a tough time around origin. The next time we'll play them we'll get them no doubt.

Agreed.

Not to mention, 1 of their tries came off a lucky intercept and the other one came off some pure freakish brilliance (with an element of luck) from Slater.

The score flattered the Storm IMO.

Your absolutely right. The Broncos always seem to struggle in melbourne, but everyone just need to take a chill pill and relax. I don't think the storm are that far ahead us anyway. This time last year we lost 3 in a row and i think we went on to win 5 or 6 in row?

Why's everyone so negative about this game ? I mean are top 3 didn't play, the refs let melbourne get away with lots of decisions that could've changed the game around, we poorly excuted in defence and attack. Everyone knows the broncos always go through a tough time around origin. The next time we'll play them we'll get them no doubt.

Sounds a lot like what NSW are saying about Origin 1.

The plain and simple fact is we got rolled by a far superior team who put so much pressure on us we fell to bits.

As for not having Thaiday, Hodges and Civo, well, that's Hook's choice which clearly means he favoured resting them over giving the team a better shot at the Storm, so he (and we) have to live with the consequences good and/or bad.

The plain and simple fact also is that so far we have been rolled by the top teams. The question now is do we have what it takes to start, and keep winning, and that we will soon discover, starting next week.

Sounds The plain and simple fact also is that so far we have been rolled by the top teams. The question now is do we have what it takes to start, and keep winning, and that we will soon discover, starting next week.

1) Storm - yeh rolled.
2) Souths - we beat them, and beat them pretty well
3) Cowboys - lost by 2 points in the last minute. Hardly rolled.
4) Manly - we were the better side, 5 tries to 4. Only goal kicking cost us.
5) Warriors - beaten but were in the game for the most part. Hardly rolled.

Out of the top teams we've been rolled by the Storm only, and we were heavily depleted at the time of year when we traditionally struggle. Chill out bro.

Sounds a lot like what NSW are saying about Origin 1.

The plain and simple fact is we got rolled by a far superior team who put so much pressure on us we fell to bits.

As for not having Thaiday, Hodges and Civo, well, that's Hook's choice which clearly means he favoured resting them over giving the team a better shot at the Storm, so he (and we) have to live with the consequences good and/or bad.

The plain and simple fact also is that so far we have been rolled by the top teams. The question now is do we have what it takes to start, and keep winning, and that we will soon discover, starting next week.

The game should've of really finished 10 to 28 or 22. Melbourne weren't that superior to us, it's just that we didn't show up to play on the night plain and simple.The broncos had their chances to score and would've but they butchered it.

Falling to bits ? if so how come melbourne didn't put 50 on the broncos? The Melbourne storm are known for being ruthless in the last 20 and they didn't put a point on us that time frame, I'm proud of the way the broncos played they because didn't give up.

As for sounding like what were NSW saying, i'm just stating the truth melbourne didn't convince at all, and the broncos will learn from that performance. Just remember premierships are won in October not May. As you said it all starts again next week, hopefully the broncos are up for the challenge, it should be a beauty of a game.

I just hope, based on the enormous talent in our team, that we do justice to it.

As I posted before, the one thing that bothered me most about the Storm match was how easily our halves fell apart under real pressure, and how much I would love to see Gillett and Hodges used more intelligently, particularly as play makers, rather than mostly as dummy half runners who get the ball without space or time to, well, make a play.

I just hope, based on the enormous talent in our team, that we do justice to it.

As I posted before, the one thing that bothered me most about the Storm match was how easily our halves fell apart under real pressure, and how much I would love to see Gillett and Hodges used more intelligently, particularly as play makers, rather than mostly as dummy half runners who get the ball without space or time to, well, make a play.

Harsh to say Norman fell apart under pressure. You have to touch the ball to fall apart...he was MIA

Kinda sucks when most of the origin players backing up are having blinders playing against 'mere mortal' players, and we only have 2 back up. I understand the reasoning behind the resting of players but after watching Taylor and Inglis and Miles and Bird and Farrah it has reminded me of the days when our players used to back up (all 8-10 of them haha) and absolutely shit all over other teams.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • lynx000
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Broncos Maestro
  • Galah
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Lozza
  • Manifesto
  • broncos4life
  • FACTHUNT
  • Midean
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wolfie
  • thenry
  • Tmac
  • winslow_wong
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.