Round 13 - Broncos vs Knights - Post Match Discussion

I think Parker should be our only 80min forward at this stage. Would also like to see Macca play more mins. I think Hunt needs to stay on the bench just in case Macca needs a break though. We just won't use 4 forwards on the bench IMO.

Does Glenn deserve to play 80?

Personally, I think he'd be just as effective over 60. It's not like he has an incredible workrate.

this x 10.

i said this after round 10, and i still stick by it:

"IMO we should only have 3 front rowers.

Hannant and civoniceva start
McGuire on for civoniceva at 20, plays match out.
Hannant plays til 60, civoniceva replaces him to play the match out.

That keeps our best props on the longest, while giving us a boost at the start and end of the game.

As for second row, glen has been playing much better when he gets less minutes, and Thaiday is not an 80 quality minutes player IMO, so Gillett and teo can share the 160 mins with them. 40/40/40/40, 50/30, whatever works best."

at this stage, gillett should be getting 30-35 minutes IMO. Thaiday, no more than 55-60.

add McCullough playing 80 minutes to that and i think that would be our absolute best chance at a premiership.

It's decided then.

Send the plans into Hook!

Hannant and civoniceva start
McGuire on for civoniceva at 20, plays match out.
Hannant plays til 60, civoniceva replaces him to play the match out.

something like that probably ideal come finals time but i can see theory in reserving mcguire/hannant a little so they aren't burnt out come end of the year.

something like that probably ideal come finals time but i can see theory in reserving mcguire/hannant a little so they aren't burnt out come end of the year.
Tbh, that's the only reason I can think of for the current rotation. Still it doesn't explain and seems at odds with giving Dodds only 7 minutes. :confused:

Tbh, that's the only reason I can think of for the current rotation. Still it doesn't explain and seems at odds with giving Dodds only 7 minutes. :confused:

Exactly. At this time of year why would we be pushing Hannant and Thaiday to play big minutes (and to a lesser extent Parker, Glenn and McGuire) and then just give Dodds, Lui, SAnderson et al token appearances?

I just hate how the refs always want to give the losing team a leg up. Its almost like the NRL has given them a mandate to even things up so there isnt any one sided results. I swear when i think it was sammy ts try that the ref looked at his touchies and then when there was no reason not to award it he shook his head and blew it.

that the ref looked at his touchies and then when there was no reason not to award it he shook his head and blew it.

what do you mean? the ref in charge will always look to his touch judges before awarding a try. its just normal practice.

i think the touchies could do a little more these days. it seems as if they dont pay attention at all to general play.

what do you mean? the ref in charge will always look to his touch judges before awarding a try. its just normal practice.

i think the touchies could do a little more these days. it seems as if they dont pay attention at all to general play.

Obviously he looks at the touchies but it was the way he shook his head (not like he was saying no or disagreeing with someone) but more like "oh ****....nothing i can do about this"

Obviously he looks at the touchies but it was the way he shook his head (not like he was saying no or disagreeing with someone) but more like "oh ****....nothing i can do about this"

He was probably shaking his head like the rest of us here, on how weird the game was.

As someone who criticized Parker a lot for his efforts against Manly, I think he deserves great credit for what he did on the weekend. As has been said earlier, it could easily have been a different game if he misses those kicks.

Also, as someone who has criticized Hoffman, I stand by it despite his performance. He's great at what he does, and on the weekend we won and he got to do what he does best, which is why he is rightly receiving praise from it. However, his shortcomings still exist, and I'm sure if we will lose again they'll be mentioned again. Which isn't to say he's not working hard at it, he clearly made efforts, but lets not pretend that because he got to play to his strengths that he's the world's best fullback again.

Completely agree with you Ari.

As someone who criticized Parker a lot for his efforts against Manly, I think he deserves great credit for what he did on the weekend. As has been said earlier, it could easily have been a different game if he misses those kicks.

Also, as someone who has criticized Hoffman, I stand by it despite his performance. He's great at what he does, and on the weekend we won and he got to do what he does best, which is why he is rightly receiving praise from it. However, his shortcomings still exist, and I'm sure if we will lose again they'll be mentioned again. Which isn't to say he's not working hard at it, he clearly made efforts, but lets not pretend that because he got to play to his strengths that he's the world's best fullback again.

WTF! who has ever said he is the world's best fullback. Say what you want but Hoffy is a great young fullback that is only going to continue to get better, everyone seems to think Slater burst onto the scene with all the amazing stuff he does immediately, but forget that he used to be incredibly inconsistent.

I think Ari Gold was just exaggerating about the exaggeration about how good Hoffy is.
I don't think anyone doubts he's a brilliant young player who will only get better. What Ari, and others, are saying is that there's areas of his game he needs to improve sooner rather than later. Things like his involvement in the sweeping backline movements - they almost always fall apart when he gets involved. Admittedly we are still comparing him to Hunt in that regard, and I don't think any fullback has done that part of their game better than Karmichael, and that includes Slater. He knew when to pass, when to run, when to kick, and almost ALWAYS took the right option and executed it perfectly.

Hoffy will improve in that regard, but it's taking time, and it's probably an area he needs to start improving fairly rapidly. It's a weapon we'll need come finals time.

The other area of his game I'd like to see him improve is general support play around the ruck. We've got guys like Glenn, Te'o, Parker, Thaiday, Gillett, all capable of attracting 2 and 3 defenders and getting neat offloads away. More often than not those offloads just go to Macca who is waiting to be dummyhalf and he either passes one off to another forward to lumber up, or he takes the tackle.

If we had Hoffman there, with momentum, it could create so much more.

Hoffman certainly needs to improve parts of his game. I found suggestions we move him to the wing to be laughable tbh.

Active Now

• Gaz
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • Sproj
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rookie Alan
  • Alec
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncorob
  • Fitzy
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Santa
  • something
  • Financeguy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.