PRE-GAME Round 13 - Broncos vs Titans

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Has anyone pondered that Macca is simply being eased back in, considering he’s coming back far earlier than expected from the injury?
Yep, I have pondered that and am dismayed by it because it means Macca is still the first choice hooker. Hopefully Turps has a blinder and keeps Macca honest.

Yep, I have pondered that and am dismayed by it because it means Macca is still the first choice hooker. Hopefully Turps has a blinder and keeps Macca honest.

If turps has a blinder he should stay on for the full 80 mins.

Has anyone pondered that Macca is simply being eased back in, considering he’s coming back far earlier than expected from the injury?
I never considered anything else. He's being eased back in and he'll be in the #9 next week (unfortunately).

Still a chance he starts this week as well.

Agreed. Just seemed there were lots of people selling themselves stories of Macca having to ‘earn’ his spot back.

I think he will have to earn his spot back. I personally think we are giving a very good servant to the club the opportunity to do so. He still needs to take that opportunity.

Agreed. Just seemed there were lots of people selling themselves stories of Macca having to ‘earn’ his spot back.

I still have hope that Seibold is going to have them duel it out for the spot. Or just see who performs best on the field, I guess that'll suffice.

Probably because that is what should happen. And still a chance I might add.

Even if McCullough is eased back into the starting role, so long as Turpin or Segeyaro continue to fill the bench hooker spot it'll be an improvement. I can't see McCullough being the long term starting hooker under Seibold unless he has a dramatic turn in form, but I'm happy to be patient for now.

I think Siebs is playing the long game. There is no rush to get rid of Macca this season. Although he may not have the skills Siebs is looking for he nevertheless is an outstanding example for the young guys coming through in terms of loyalty to the club, expected performance during training both in the gym and and on the training paddock, professionalism in re-habing an injury and the mental toughness to keep going when the going gets tough. Macca brings these characteristics in spades and I think realistically we're no chance of winning the big one this year but we can certainly lay the proper foundations to enable us to win it in the very near future.

In terms of priming a whole new set of young, talented potential winners Macca is one of Siebs' aces in the pack. Lexy Glenn, Gillo and Boyd are all there for the same reason. If by chance we happen to gel by the season's end it will be a huge bonus as i think Siebs will gauge himself as being ahead of where he wants this team to be.

Experience is one of the main ingredients of the champion teams that win GFs. That only comes with time and on the job training. We're building towards that and Macca is playing a huge part in nurturing that in our young guns.

He didn't "play the long game" with Roberts and Nikorima, I don't see how McC deserves any different after so many years to prove himself

He didn't "play the long game" with Roberts and Nikorima, I don't see how McC deserves any different after so many years to prove himself

I disagree. Playing the short game would have been keeping a potentially toxic Roberts as he is undoubtedly better on the field than Shibasaki.

Nikorima was also more experienced and "safer" than an 18 year old rookie half.

Both moves were done with an eye to giving the younger players experience, with an eye to them being better for us in the future.

Punting McCullough now, you run the risk of Turpin just having had a purple patch, coinciding with the rest of our players learning to not drop the ball. How many players have had a decent season, let alone 3 games, where they've looked good but gone to shit.

Of course he did. They never fitted into his long term plans for the club so he made sure they either toed the line or walked.

there is a big difference between Macca and Roberts, Macca is a dedicated, hard working responsible player ... Roberts is the complete opposite of all of those things.

He also wanted to keep Nikorima, but wouldn't stand in his way when he got a very good offer to play his prefered position for the Warriors

They're nothing alike.

The writing was on the wall for Nikorima and instead of fighting it, he chose to take a position somewhere else on better money.

Roberts' mind wasn't on the job on or off the field. James gave Seibold every reason to drop him.

McCullough through it all has remained professional and is highly respected at the club. The Broncos are clued in that they need more spark around dummy half and things may change during the off-season, but for now he's still in the frame. Fact of the matter is, McCullough gave Seibold a reason to pick him, while Segeyaro took himself out of the game. Competition is a good thing and hopefully it drives the players to be their best.

He should have to earn it back. Sick to death of him only playing well when there's competition for his spot. Can already see Turpin going elsewhere and Macca kicking his feet up again. He should have to be clearly outplaying Turpin before we even entertain the idea.

He should have to earn it back. Sick to death of him only playing well when there's competition for his spot. Can already see Turpin going elsewhere and Macca kicking his feet up again. He should have to be clearly outplaying Turpin before we even entertain the idea.

I don't buy into that narrative that he only plays well when he has competition. Macca was considered the Broncos best player when Travis Waddell was his closest competition. Even before he got injured, he was clearly trying to work on his attack which even his most ardent critics on here noted.

He's been named off the bench which seems like a fair way of handling things. Turpin has been great and deserves the start, hopefully it makes for a stronger team. Every club has that competition for spots, even Cameron Smith has the New Zealand dummy half breathing down his neck.

there is a big difference between Macca and Roberts, Macca is a dedicated, hard working responsible player ... Roberts is the complete opposite of all of those things.

He also wanted to keep Nikorima, but wouldn't stand in his way when he got a very good offer to play his prefered position for the Warriors
Difference between Macca and the other two is they were explosive matchwinners who were not fulfilling their potentials; Macca is a journeyman, who has probably been playing to his potential but it's not quite good enough to win games for us.
[automerge]1559719025[/automerge]
He's been named off the bench which seems like a fair way of handling things. Turpin has been great and deserves the start, hopefully it makes for a stronger team. Every club has that competition for spots, even Cameron Smith has the New Zealand dummy half breathing down his neck.
It's probably the most diplomatic way to ease him out of the side. Maybe Turpin isn't as good as 99% of us think.
[automerge]1559719185[/automerge]
I've never got the impression Macca hasn't been trying to play well. I've softened to the idea of him playing off the bench. He can cover any of the forwards.

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Broncosarethebest
  • Tim K
  • broncos4life
  • heartly87
  • LittleDavey
  • Shane Tronc
  • Midean
  • Allo
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bert_lifts
  • winslow_wong
  • Galah
  • Skathen
  • Foordy
  • leon.bott
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Waynesaurus
  • Browny
  • Fitzy
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.