PRE-GAME Round 13 - Dragons vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

The general consensus on here a lot of the time is don't rush players, let them play ISC for one or more seasons but then plenty of people pick Cobbo and Piakura.

I will say now neither have shown enough of their craft to be playing NRL. I have watched all their ISC games in full- some good things- Cobbo ability to beat tackles and explode off the back from behind the halves has been excellent and Piakura has defended well and tied in well when under pressure- with one good game of running v Souths.

Cobbo hasn't had single try assist or had to make a tackle all year- Wynnum's defence is so good. He's just running around like a school kid on the oval making metres and beating tackles. He has to develop other skills first.
Then the kids leave because they're too impatient to wait their chance.

The battle of the Brisbane Broncos and the Broncos you ordered from wish, who will win?

But which is which?

The general consensus on here a lot of the time is don't rush players, let them play ISC for one or more seasons but then plenty of people pick Cobbo and Piakura.

I will say now neither have shown enough of their craft to be playing NRL. I have watched all their ISC games in full- some good things- Cobbo ability to beat tackles and explode off the back from behind the halves has been excellent and Piakura has defended well and tied in well when under pressure- with one good game of running v Souths.

Cobbo hasn't had single try assist or had to make a tackle all year- Wynnum's defence is so good. He's just running around like a school kid on the oval making metres and beating tackles. He has to develop other skills first.

Genuine question - would you have said Walsh was ready to play NRL prior to his debut?

Genuine question - would you have said Walsh was ready to play NRL prior to his debut?

I was sure he could play some NRL this year at some time- I have been sure since 2018.

He hadn't played any football since September 2019 so I wanted to see how he went in ISC for a while. In this current Broncos side I would have had him play ISC and if he could play 5-10 games NRL I would have thought that was a good outcome off the bench or fullback.

Broncos aren't in a great position to be blooding rookies, it's like the Australian cricket team 85-89. You want to throw them in and sink or swim but you know they're going to get bashed up you just hope you come out the other side with a Steve Waugh or David Boon.

But the other side of that is you want a 12 year player, and if they come in and get bashed and lose their enthusiasm and are getting beaten by 40 every week you won't get one year out of them.

Poor teams have to pull the trigger more because they don't want to lose the player and want to find their golden ticket but really how often does it work for a poor team?

Likely to be first game back for JDB... He adds a lot to a Dragons side who sorely need players given their suspensions and injuries.

I was sure he could play some NRL this year at some time- I have been sure since 2018.

He hadn't played any football since September 2019 so I wanted to see how he went in ISC for a while. In this current Broncos side I would have had him play ISC and if he could play 5-10 games NRL I would have thought that was a good outcome off the bench or fullback.

Broncos aren't in a great position to be blooding rookies, it's like the Australian cricket team 85-89. You want to throw them in and sink or swim but you know they're going to get bashed up you just hope you come out the other side with a Steve Waugh or David Boon.

But the other side of that is you want a 12 year player, and if they come in and get bashed and lose their enthusiasm and are getting beaten by 40 every week you won't get one year out of them.

Poor teams have to pull the trigger more because they don't want to lose the player and want to find their golden ticket but really how often does it work for a poor team?
I agree. I can't believe we didnt pick him even as a 14 from the bench and move him between bench an QCUP. We lost him for that reason I think

You know the reason? Money was a part of it but if we actually gave him a shot like the Warriors have done he might have decided to stay

He signed with the Warriors before he even played a game for Norths he then played one game for Norths and left. The Broncos had played two games. Wasn't much chance to give him a crack.

He signed with the Warriors before he even played a game for Norths he then played one game for Norths and left. The Broncos had played two games. Wasn't much chance to give him a crack.

Sounds maybe like he just didn't want to be here, a bit like Walker and that's worrying

He will be playing on the wing mate I Don't think he'd have to worry about defending too much.

He will be playing on the wing mate I Don't think he'd have to worry about defending too much.

That's not working out too well for Coates and costing a lot of tries. You still have to be able to do it, even if you're making five tackles a game. Reading the play/kicks and moves and being physically up for it is hard on the wing. Every winger is a 100kg monster.

That's not working out too well for Coates and costing a lot of tries. You still have to be able to do it, even if you're making five tackles a game. Reading the play/kicks and moves and being physically up for it is hard on the wing. Every winger is a 100kg monster.
Yeah positioning is hard and reading the play on the line will be tough, I was just referring to the physical defensive responsibilities and I think his positioning for kicks will be just fine as he's handled that well at fullback for Wynnum this season.

If every winger is 100kg monster surely they cancel each other out?

I don't see the problem in giving them a game here and there when a position becomes available. Give them 2-3 games when a player is out and then let them go back down, giving them a taste is good for development.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Lurker
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrMoore
  • GCBRONCO
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Sproj
  • Fatboy
  • something
  • Wolfie
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Xzei
  • broncoscope
  • Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • Bish
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.