PRE-GAME Round 14 - Eels vs Broncos

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Nothing I've seen from Isaako tells me he'll be a good fullback.

**** no.....he can barely catch the ball. In fact he's a 75/25 of dropping it .......every time.

Those days are done, they got rid of the second tier cap giving call ups to guys like that won't happen anymore.

It's June 10 so in 20 days you'd have to sign him, no training, never been full time, never train at Brisbane, give him 100k and then hope he can play NRL.

Extra layer of risk he is injured and didn't even play on Saturday.

The second cap would allow you to register the Edene of the world, and then pay them $500 a win but teams aren't going to risk 100k and a top 30 spot.

Train and trials are it for those guys now, and get a deal on the back of a pre-season in November.

I think he's been great this year but I don't think anyone is bold enough to do it in June.

Walsh is playing for Keebra Park on Wednesday v Marsden so big jump to NRL. Nui isn't old enough until August.
I agree with what you've said... But, I think it's unfortunate that it is that way, especially in our current circumstances fullback depth-wise. I would hope brisbane would have a look and go "worth a risk" because so what if he doesn't succeed? We have a spot in our 30 I believe, we are the richest club in the nrl so what's 1 player more going to do anyway, imagine it did work out, that 10% or whatever chance is worth it I believe.
I agree about Walsh and niu. They are young and it's a loooong way for them to the nrl.... Just like it was for deardon. But I don't think they will or should go in next year, that's why seibold will have to make a decision in the off season about whether to go to the market..

It would be a huge upset if we won tbh
Agreed parra at Bank West is a different preposition and in no way should we be favourites.

I always find Parra's intensity in their forwards troubles our forwards, guys like Peni, Nathan Brown, Paulo & Mau run hard and look for the quick ptb and it's like our forwards don't want to match them.

If we are to win we will need TPJ and Fifi to stand up to their pack. Those guys appear to have a second gear (Gillett through his defence as well) that can rattle their forwards. Lodge and Haas are more a steady hand and will get through a ton of work, but we need to bash their forwards as much as they're going to bash ours, because it's coming... it always does from parra

Also we will desperately need Turpin's line speed in the middle. He has to start otherwise we're fucked.

I agree with what you've said... But, I think it's unfortunate that it is that way, especially in our current circumstances fullback depth-wise. I would hope brisbane would have a look and go "worth a risk" because so what if he doesn't succeed? We have a spot in our 30 I believe, we are the richest club in the nrl so what's 1 player more going to do anyway, imagine it did work out, that 10% or whatever chance is worth it I believe.
I agree about Walsh and niu. They are young and it's a loooong way for them to the nrl.... Just like it was for deardon. But I don't think they will or should go in next year, that's why seibold will have to make a decision in the off season about whether to go to the market..

Post June 30 you have a squad of 36, you should be able to cover the season with 36 without bringing in random selections.

Is he really a top 30 NRL player? He's had a great ISC half a season but top 30 gee not too sure about that. Like to see an NRL pre-season first and train. He's not just going to be able to break 10 tackles a game at NRL. He doesn't pass or attack with anything but running and being strong.

Let’s remember, seibs told Farah that he was no longer the hooked at souffs (last year in pre season from memory) and that this fella named cook is the 9 that the team needed at the time.
Surely, we are in a very similar position with macca and turps.
Macca is the opposite of what this team needs. Turpin along with seggy off the bench is exactly what these halves and young forwards need.
Also, the same chat needs to happen with boyd, but I feel as though it probably won’t happen this year, unfortunately.

Let’s remember, seibs told Farah that he was no longer the hooked at souffs (last year in pre season from memory) and that this fella named cook is the 9 that the team needed at the time.
Surely, we are in a very similar position with macca and turps.
Macca is the opposite of what this team needs. Turpin along with seggy off the bench is exactly what these halves and young forwards need.
Also, the same chat needs to happen with boyd, but I feel as though it probably won’t happen this year, unfortunately.
Farah was in a very different situation, he was a new club because things broke down at the Tigers. He'd played 1 season for them as either starting hooker or off the bench with Cook starting. Macca has been playing in the Broncos NRL squad for ten years and unlike Farah looks like he's a good bloke respected by his teammates.

Post June 30 you have a squad of 36, you should be able to cover the season with 36 without bringing in random selections.

Is he really a top 30 NRL player? He's had a great ISC half a season but top 30 gee not too sure about that. Like to see an NRL pre-season first and train. He's not just going to be able to break 10 tackles a game at NRL. He doesn't pass or attack with anything but running and being strong.
I agree, but he's currently outperforming any other option we have for fullback. Is he good enough, probably not tbh but I'd hope the broncos don't have that attitude anymore. Dearden, Turpin and even kenner the other day showed that risks are worth taking and you don't have to be dominating the qld cup for 6 months to justify a place. With the right attitude the right players get better with better players around them. Does he have a good attitude? Eg work ethic at training, desire to improve, follows game plans? They'd be the questions id be asking

Is it worth putting Isaako in the centres and Herbie on the wing?
Not sure why that would be needed... have to remember Isaako struggles on the defensive side of the ball and the centre is pretty instrumental for defending outside, knowing when to slide or when to come up.

Our right side defence has been strong since Shiba moved in there... in the embarrassment that was Sunday 1 try was let in through the right and that was from a kick that ended up being a decent pick up under pressure by Kelly.

Yes Shiba is bombing tries out there which is painful, but he is more than proving his worth in defence given he has Isaako outside him.

He's been a highly rated junior for awhile so I expect his attack to pick up. Reports from the users on here about his ISC games (namely 1910) indicate his best assets were his workrate and tackle breaks.

To recap
- He's young and was highly touted in his junior days (spells potential and usually attack orientated)
- Has a high workrate and breaks tackles against men in ISC
- Is coping very well defensively in his first few games despite having a poor wing defender outside him

Gotta remember we don't send a lot of good ball to the right side of the field either.

I think it's only a matter of time before Shiba has a breakout game.

I'd still love to see Purcell get a shot. Is he still out injured?

Last edited:
Yep we need a creative 9 more than ever now to offset our less than creative 1 and young and still learning 7.

Came back last week from his broken arm.

Great stuff. Just a great player to watch. Real shame he has never been given an opportunity anywhere

Last edited:
Not sure why that would be needed... have to remember Isaako struggles on the defensive side of the ball and the centre is pretty instrumental for defending outside, knowing when to slide or when to come up.

Our right side defence has been strong since Shiba moved in there... in the embarrassment that was Sunday 1 try was let in through the right and that was from a kick that ended up being a decent pick up under pressure by Kelly.

Yes Shiba is bombing tries out there which is painful, but he is more than proving his worth in defence given he has Isaako outside him.

He's been a highly rated junior for awhile so I expect his attack to pick up. Reports from the users on here about his ISC games (namely 1910) indicate his best assets were his workrate and tackle breaks.

To recap
- He's young and was highly touted in his junior days (spells potential and usually attack orientated)
- Has a high workrate and breaks tackles against men in ISC
- Is coping very well defensively in his first few games despite having a poor wing defender outside him

Gotta remember we don't send a lot of good ball to the right side of the field either.

I think it's only a matter of time before Shiba has a breakout game.
Just need to put super glue on his bloody hands.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • heartly87
  • Broncorob
  • Broncosgirl
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
  • theshed
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.