vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a bitter pill we all need to swallow: Patty might be a good bloke, he might be articulate, but he has been a failure as captain. Given that Turpin was amongst the Everton Park 10, the reins needs to be given to Dearden right now. There isn't a better choice.
He's twenty. Dearden is 19. No player that young is going to have an impact that will turn the kind of performances we have around.
A Darren lockyer or a wally Lewis maybe? But let's not kid ourselves about the depths of overall performances we are seeing.
Carrigan is a good trainer and consistent performer who according to Wolfie has leadership qualities in the leadership group.
Right now that's about as much as you can expect from anyone so young.
Glenn might have had the ability as a senior player to bring the group together and curb some of the more extreme elements in the squad, but there is no one else.
Boyd is good for what he is, but with less than half a season left would best left as is.
Obviously an origin great coming into the squad would fix things but I don't see it happening.
Simply put, there are no good answers to the captain question, so carrigan holding the torch probably at least 3 years too early is all that can be done.
What's needed is a major change. We all know it. Players, coaches, everyone. I don't just mean change of personal but change of attitude across the organisation and the recruitment of players based not just on athletic potential, but the way they approach games and a coaching of resilliance.

He's twenty. Dearden is 19. No player that young is going to have an impact that will turn the kind of performances we have around.
A Darren lockyer or a wally Lewis maybe? But let's not kid ourselves about the depths of overall performances we are seeing.
Carrigan is a good trainer and consistent performer who according to Wolfie has leadership qualities in the leadership group.
Right now that's about as much as you can expect from anyone so young.
Glenn might have had the ability as a senior player to bring the group together and curb some of the more extreme elements in the squad, but there is no one else.
Boyd is good for what he is, but with less than half a season left would best left as is.
Obviously an origin great coming into the squad would fix things but I don't see it happening.
Simply put, there are no good answers to the captain question, so carrigan holding the torch probably at least 3 years too early is all that can be done.
What's needed is a major change. We all know it. Players, coaches, everyone. I don't just mean change of personal but change of attitude across the organisation and the recruitment of players based not just on athletic potential, but the way they approach games and a coaching of resilliance.
No problem with Patty whatsoever, and I was a massive supporter of his elevation, but the closest this team has had to leadership this season is when Dearden took over in the halves. The kid is captaincy material already. In every other game Patty led, we looked rudderless. And everyone said so.

The brightest mind in Rugby League agrees with me:

It just highlights the lack of good experienced players we lack, I'm not saying Im fully against young players being captain but I think that only works when the team has alot of experienced players and the young leader still stands out, plus he would have alot of old heads to help guide the team.

Cameron Smith was captain for Storm in his Second season if I recall but Storm had alot of experienced players when that happened, our situation is our team is filled with kids and the few experienced players we do have are hopeless and not the best examples.

It just highlights the lack of good experienced players we lack, I'm not saying Im fully against young players being captain but I think that only works when the team has alot of experienced players and the young leader still stands out, plus he would have alot of old heads to help guide the team.

Cameron Smith was captain for Storm in his Second season if I recall but Storm had alot of experienced players when that happened, our situation is our team is filled with kids and the few experienced players we do have are hopeless and not the best examples.

Fair point, although in the case of Cameron Smith, he didn't become the captain until his forth season and even then he was in a leadership group alongside Matt Geyer, Scott Hill, Michael Crocker & David Kidwell. I could be forgetting somebody else, but that was the first 'leadership' group I remember. Smith didn't become the full-time captain until the following year. Beforehand, I believe the captains were Steve Kearney and Robbie Kearns.

I can't think of too many Rugby League examples. Nathan Cayless was brought up around the time of Pat's appointment, but that Eels side was also predominately young. It still worked out for them, they broke all kinds of records that season, but they were found wanting in the biggest game of the year.

Last edited:
No problem with Patty whatsoever, and I was a massive supporter of his elevation, but the closest this team has had to leadership this season is when Dearden took over in the halves. The kid is captaincy material already. In every other game Patty led, we looked rudderless. And everyone said so.

The brightest mind in Rugby League agrees with me:

I think Dearden could be captain in 4 or 5 years time, but at 19 and only a handful of games under his belt, it is way too early. He's got the 2nd toughest job in the NRL - being the Broncos halfback, he probably doesn't need the extra pressure now. I did also call for him being captain eventually if he keeps playing with as much heart though.

FTR, the toughest job would probably be being Broncos coach now.

Last edited:
I think Dearden could be captain in 4 or 5 years time, but at 19 and only a handful of games under his belt, it is way too early. He's got the 2nd toughest job in the NRL - being the Broncos halfback, he probably doesn't need the extra pressure now. I did also call for him being captain eventually if he keeps playing with as much heart though.

FTR, the toughest job would probably be being Broncos coach now.
I think the toughest job is being the Broncos coach's wife and family. Sure they're financially secure but the mental torture of living in the Brisbane fishbowl must be taxing to say the least.

Gotta feeling I might have to invest in one of these this afternoon

b2778ab049dcd0590847b20ea296ea45.jpg

Wearing my 2014 jersey at work today, copped enough stick the past few weeks living down here in NSW by parra and south's fans that only show up in support when they're cruising.

Yes, we're going through a shit time now as a club, but I could never support another team and I will happily be recognised as a Broncos fan through the tough times, even if I'm not at all happy with what's going on both on and off the field.

It will just make our 2035 premiership even sweeter.

Wearing my 2014 jersey at work today, copped enough stick the past few weeks living down here in NSW by parra and south's fans that only show up in support when they're cruising.

Yes, we're going through a shit time now as a club, but I could never support another team and I will happily be recognised as a Broncos fan through the tough times, even if I'm not at all happy with what's going on both on and off the field.

You think it will be that soon? This has made my day.

On ya. I haven't worn any of my jerseys in months, even around the house, let alone outside.

Feel like a good flukey win is coming in the next few weeks though. Maybe tonight.

Was Kahu named in the original 21?

Using my jerseys to change the oil in the car and as a dog blanket now. I can report the dog has now found a different bed......
I would as well if I were the dog, it must be uncomfortable under the car.

Do they even get internet in Canberra?
Canberra leads the way technology wise because all the politicians live there. If not for the climate, it would be the ideal place to live in Oz. Close to Sydney and only 6 hours from Melb. My wife would like to live there but the lack of humidity and beaches makes me hesitant.

The amazing odds for this match make me wonder if there's ever been such a gap since the Broncos entered the competition.

$7 in a two horse race! I've taken the Broncos with 13.5 start and I think it's going to be way closer than most think.

Actually, today's games I reckon will be a tipsters nightmare. I see the Titans and the Dogs winning. It's even possible the Cows will win. Anyway, I've a juicy multi going with the Tits, Cows and the Broncos. I don't expect the Broncos to win but if the first two do old Sportsbet will offer a nice cash out.

It's UPSET DAY!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • bert_lifts
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
  • RolledOates
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Broncosgirl
  • LittleDavey
  • Manofoneway
  • Astro
  • Waynesaurus
  • broncos4life
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Midean
  • Manifesto
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.