Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

It was great work from both walters and mam.

Mam just shows up around the ball, which is something he was doing well in Qcup last year (I haven't seen much Qcup this year). It is an instinct some players just have (I.e. lockyer, slater, papenhuyzen etc.).

But what is over looked is how well billy positioned mam and engaged the cover defence. He didnt panic, slowed just enough to let mam catch up and commit some of the cover defenders and delivered a perfectly timed pass.
So glad you gave Billy a mention as his footy smarts and instincts were top notch last night when he stuck his boot out to capture that ball. And as you said he stayed as cool as you like waiting and setting up Mam.

A good few in here have praised Billy's efforts this season, but I'm not sure many of us have acknowledged how much his game has developed over the last 7 - 8 weeks. If ever there was a doubt on him earning his spot, it must be totally proven to be baseless. A late bloomer indeed and he just keeps getting better.

Yeh i wrapped that play earlier today. It was a joy to watch, and it looks every bit as good on replay too 😁. I also mentioned that I thought Mam's development was coming on leaps and bounds.
Mam’s reaction when the try was sent up to the bunker as a no try was priceless. Pretty much captures how all of us felt at the same time.

I expected us to lose and we did so I'm not disappointed. Yeah we were up 16-6 but you're never comfortable against Melbourne whatever the score - a couple of mistakes bang bang and it was 16 all at HT.

Some quick thoughts:

Roberts short kicking game was excellent, played like a little general in some parts of the game. Was pleasantly surprised as I don't really rate him/never did, but he stepped up superbly. That cutout to Cobbo was mint.

Cobbo came back to earth last night, but will be a good learning experience for him.

TMM's shortcomings defensively at FB are slowly coming to the fore each week. He's performed admirably there but I think we will struggle to take the next step (genuine premiership threat) with him at the back. Good teams will exploit his lack of positioning and Melbourne did it perfectly last night - it's not the first time this has happened this season either.

Riki has been treading water for a while now. Not that this scenario ever happens, but I floated a month or two ago whether people would swap Riki for Fifita, I wonder if people are reconsidering their total support of RIki at the very least? He's never really broken out for mine, just little bits of promise here and then to keep you on the hook.

Carrigan stood up again. Fantastic player.

Haas has regressed since the contract debacle. Perhaps he's just doing enough now instead of really giving it his all. Not that he's playing badly, but he's not the player he was even 6 weeks ago.

I think the criticism for Turpin is harsh - he didn't really do anything wrong in his time out there. Funny tho that his first set on the field resulted in a knock on (nothing to do with him though). Even when he's not involved our attack breaks down with him on the field.

Goatesy with the double - I wonder if he'll resign for 350? Good value if so.

Palasia got 4mins? What's the point?

Staggs and Olam had a great battle out there, was fun to watch them go back and forth in a mostly good spirited contest.

That flick pass from Meaney was fantastic, even if it was questionable.

Melbourne are a team in decline.

We aren't far away.

TMM's shortcomings defensively at FB are slowly coming to the fore each week. He's performed admirably there but I think we will struggle to take the next step (genuine premiership threat) with him at the back. Good teams will exploit his lack of positioning and Melbourne did it perfectly last night - it's not the first time this has happened this season either.

just on this one.

I think once he's had a full pre-season in the position this will improve significantly. he's definitely dedicated enough to get there.

spending the pre-season will also help him get to that fullback level fitness, rather than halves level fit

Upon reflection should we return to the 2 ref system for future games and or the finals? Or should gee go back to reading 7 news during the week?
Should never have left the two refs system. The ten was always more consistent and the ruck infringement reduced which made for better football. We had the single ref for so long and we changed BECAUSE it was a problem, now it's back. It was changed for change's sake. Saved the NRL a shitload so they were all for it but it was whingeing and scapegoating which saw it dumped.

So glad you gave Billy a mention as his footy smarts and instincts were top notch last night when he stuck his boot out to capture that ball. And as you said he stayed as cool as you like waiting and setting up Mam.

A good few in here have praised Billy's efforts this season, but I'm not sure many of us have acknowledged how much his game has developed over the last 7 - 8 weeks. If ever there was a doubt on him earning his spot, it must be totally proven to be baseless. A late bloomer indeed and he just keeps getting better.
I wanted Billy at 9 after the trials .
1st game at #9 he was clunky . People said he wasn`t up to it . I said give him a chance . Paying off recently .

Should never have left the two refs system. The ten was always more consistent and the ruck infringement reduced which made for better football. We had the single ref for so long and we changed BECAUSE it was a problem, now it's back. It was changed for change's sake. Saved the NRL a shitload so they were all for it but it was whingeing and scapegoating which saw it dumped.
Don't know if I can agree with the 2 refs, I get that things end up more loosely enforced but the stoppages that it created made the games really clunky, I don't think the money saved by just having a few less refs on the payroll is really anything they would care too much about though.

That said most of those stoppages are replaced with 6 agains these days so you would just get alot more of that, so probably more blow outs.

The forward pass calls wouldn't change though because that is the linesman.

The forward pass calls wouldn't change though because that is the linesman.

and that's a problem.

for at least the last 10 years the refs have used the touchies to help monitor the 10m line, so they are no longer in position to accurately judge forward passes.

when I was growing up the touchies used to line align themselves with the ball, (not the defensive 10m) so they were in perfect position to judge forward passes.

the other issue is the NRL themselves fucking with the rules. forget the out of the hands bullshit, it makes too complicated and too hard for officials to adjudicate.

go back to how it used to be. if the ball travels forward it is forward. and bring on the forward pass technology that the Storm have been dreading

and that's a problem.

for at least the last 10 years the refs have used the touchies to help monitor the 10m line, so they are no longer in position to accurately judge forward passes.

when I was growing up the touchies used to line align themselves with the ball, (not the defensive 10m) so they were in perfect position to judge forward passes.

the other issue is the NRL themselves fucking with the rules. forget the out of the hands bullshit, it makes to to complicated and too hard for officials to adjudicate.

go back to how it used to be. if the ball travels forward it is forward. and bring on the forward pass technology that the Storm have been dreading
Part of me hates the last paragraph but it would probably be the only solution.

I was actually thinking today, the technically a flick pass could never leave your hands any other way but backwards due to what a flick pass actually is, which means the current rules are flawed.

and that's a problem.

the other issue is the NRL themselves fucking with the rules. forget the out of the hands bullshit, it makes to to complicated and too hard for officials to adjudicate.

I thought one touchie maintained offsides while the other monitored the ruck. I mean, that and watching the touchline. Honestly, lately they're really not doing much of anything except shouting at players when they are tackled close to their line.

I know people are likening Mam to Milford because of his footwork but the way he runs short side plays (very fast and direct) is actually quite similar to keary.

I noticed it against the titans first but there were a couple of occasions against Melbourne including once where we made 30 metres upfield and out of trouble from a short side play. I hope we do more of this.

Reading this post and after watching the game I looked into where forward pass technology is currently at. Found this article dated late March this year.

Some of the quotes in here I've found quite concerning.

"Our game is based on continuity. We don't want to be pulling up things that don't look like forward passes and causing unnecessary stoppages.

"We need to develop policies for its use that won’t unduly interfere with the flow of the game and the entertainment value for fans."

"Do we really want to be stopping a game for a pass that's going one or two degrees forward or are we looking more for the ones that are 10 or 15 degrees forward"

If the technology picks up a forward pass, it can instantly relay that to the Bunker or on-field referees. We may get to a point where it does that for all forward passes.

In the shorter term, it may only be used when checked in try-scoring situations.

"They will get in their ear and ultimately it will be down to the ref to decide what to do in the moment," he says.

"They have the most experience and understand when to interrupt the flow of the game and when to make a decision and they are the logical choice for when to implement the technology.

No idea how to insert a website link on mobile to this post. Apologizes

I'm not sure about you guys. But reading these quotes doesn't instill mush faith. Why incorporate it at all if officials can choose to ignore it. Be interesting to know if there's any margin of error in the technology.

and that's a problem.

the other issue is the NRL themselves fucking with the rules. forget the out of the hands bullshit, it makes too complicated and too hard for officials to adjudicate.

I honestly would be satisfied if forward passes can be checked by the Bunker and captain challenges, I think adding those two things would have the ref situation about as good as you can get it.

Anyone who honestly thinks it's not realistic to check forward passes(which is the main arguement against it) is denying reality when it comes to the fact they can check knock ons, I completely understand this game is probably the hardest when it comes to getting calls right so things will go wrong naturally anyway.

and that's a problem.

Well they fucken should be in position.....if they're following the ball

which they are supposed to do.

I think since forever....linesman aren't accountable enough for their mistakes.

I honestly would be satisfied if forward passes can be checked by the Bunker and captain challenges, I think adding those two things would have the ref situation about as good as you can get it.
Agree....I think 9/10 people will get it right watching a replay and deciding whether or not a pass was forward.

The flick pass from Meaney and the second one from Olam are both forward out of the hands. Clear as day. I just heard Meaney laugh as he called it “flat” on Triple M. No physics there McHunt, if you mean conservation of momentum.
Combine this with the grab on Riki in the PTB, Munster taking it dead, Flegler being called offside as he backs away from the play after Kotoni’s little kick, the lack of 6 agains for Melbourne’s slowing tactics and their constant walking off the mark and it wasn’t an even contest. The first try is from a 6 again against Haas that was much faster than the majority of Melbourne’s roll-offs or tangled, so if that was the early marker for the ruck where were our 6 agains.
Sure we made some rookie errors and showed some poor discipline to be offside a few times but that sort of officiating is a farce.
Walking off the mark is a blight on the game. Call them back every time and it wil stop quick-smart.
You have to commend the effort from the team. Take out the try from the Cobbo error off the grubber and call one of those passes forward and it’s 20 all in an away game against No. 2 in the comp.
I never said the Storm didn't get away with any "forward passes" only that once the game is over, I move on, accept the result, and refuse to carry on like a baby about it. I've never seen anyone here complain that we got away with forward passes, and as a TV viewer, I've thought we've got away with plenty.

It's called being a good sport. You dust off and get back up.

I get none of us like it when refs make mistakes, and it's hard to grin and bear it. But when a club's fans en-masse starting cocking up conspiracy theories that our team are victims of a corrupt establishment, that's just pissing the bed. It's the bottom rung of bad sportsmanship. I don't care that I cop shit for not going along with it. I'm not stooping to that level.

If there's a wider fundamental issue with adjudication, and I don't mean human errors, that's a discussion at a higher level than stirring up the fans' indignation.

For what it's worth, of course I thought the Storm got a way with a bit. I also thought we did. Did the Storm get away with more around the rucks? Yes, they always do. They're coached that way. If you want to beat the Storm at that game, you have to be as smart as them. That's easier said than done.

We have at least two crafty players: Adam Reynolds and Patty Carrigan. Reynolds is by my reckoning the craftiest in the competition. But the Storm, as a team, are crafty. That's part of their drill. We're not at that stage of maturity. Yet.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • Wolfie
  • Mr Fourex
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Mustafur
  • broncsgoat
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.