PRE-GAME [Round 15, 2023] Broncos vs Knights

Status
Not open for further replies.
I must be the only one who doesn't rate Jensen that highly so really don't care that he's dropped. He's a decent player but I don't see him as being a must have in the top 17. He'll likely be first in for injury cover so it's not like he won't play most games anyway, we're just incredibly lucky with injuries currently, touch wood.

I must be the only one who doesn't rate Jensen that highly so really don't care that he's dropped. He's a decent player but I don't see him as being a must have in the top 17. He'll likely be first in for injury cover so it's not like he won't play most games anyway, we're just incredibly lucky with injuries currently, touch wood.
I still think he 100% deserves a role in our side starting but I just don't know if he quite has any impact off the bench. At this rate though he is the one who is going to have to pick up the slack that Flegler has left behind so it really confuses me why we wouldn't be starting Jensen, benching Flegs and dropping Marty but in terms of Jensen playing on the bench over the blokes that are there I can understand why he is getting dropped. All be it I have no doubt this Piakura change won't be a permanent thing, just isn't viable to change your second rower at the 20-30th minute every week.

We're going to need Piakura and Willison next year when Flegs and Palasia are gone.

So I'm hoping these moves at the moment are about improving the depth across the squad so we arent relying on a bunch of rookies heading into next year.

We still need to replace Flegler, but what if Piakura starts to create real impact off the bench and pushing his way into the 17, with Capewell able to cover middle... then we might be starting to look at replacements coming from within...

and yes I know that Piakura is an edge player, but it means that Jensen is potentially the Flegler replacement and Capewell allows cover of Jensen... but it's building flexibility and depth across the squad which is another way to look at things

Yep it’s laughable he’s being touted. As a Flegler replacement. He’s a decent back up that has the occasional good game. Flegs is an elite game changing prop.

I feel for Jensen. It's no surprise once he and TMM got into the side last year we started making considerable progress, so much so he kept Flegler out of the starting squad.

Yep it’s laughable he’s being touted. As a Flegler replacement. He’s a decent back up that has the occasional good game. Flegs is an elite game changing prop.

It isn’t laughable, it’s reality. No one at all is saying he is a like for like replacement for Flegs. Obviously Flegs is better but he’s also getting paid accordingly next year and we need to upgrade Carrigan and maybe Haas, so we can’t afford another Flegs level prop. Jensen provide great value for money and is a starting level workhorse prop. That’s what we can afford to replace Flegs, therefore he’s Fleg’s replacement.

It isn’t laughable, it’s reality. No one at all is saying he is a like for like replacement for Flegs. Obviously Flegs is better but he’s also getting paid accordingly next year and we need to upgrade Carrigan and maybe Haas, so we can’t afford another Flegs level prop. Jensen provide great value for money and is a starting level workhorse prop. That’s what we can afford to replace Flegs, therefore he’s Fleg’s replacement.
Upgrade carrigan? He just signed an extension to 2028. He won't need an upgrade anytime soon.

just isn't viable to change your second rower at the 20-30th minute every week.
Not on a permanent basis but it is if your easing a player like Piakura into the side I haven’t a problem.

I still think he 100% deserves a role in our side starting but I just don't know if he quite has any impact off the bench.
I don't think you need like for like. "Not letting the middle get over-run" isn't a bad thing. I'd take "Dependable" CJ now, over Flegs from three years ago, which is what's likely to be the equation if we're blooding new "boom" FRF's as Flegs' replacement.

Very true. But those two blokes have done nothing wrong, just that we have some pretty good players around the place
Surely Corey Oates only has a few years left in him. I know it's a long time in NRL terms, but I'm sure he's Goates' long term replacement, right?

Jesse also looks like an awesome, quiet bloke that doesn't think he's the worlds next best fullback, and should be starting NOW, dammit. Like so many of our other wingers over the last decade.

He doesn't have Cobbo's highlight reels, , sure, but calling him a journeyman is setting the bar too low. He's genuinely a good winger, and I wouldn't be upset with him staying with the Broncs long term. I wonder if that's the plan, and if he's ok with it?

Surely Corey Oates only has a few years left in him. I know it's a long time in NRL terms, but I'm sure he's Goates' long term replacement, right?

Jesse also looks like an awesome, quiet bloke that doesn't think he's the worlds next best fullback, and should be starting NOW, dammit. Like so many of our other wingers over the last decade.

He doesn't have Cobbo's highlight reels, , sure, but calling him a journeyman is setting the bar too low. He's genuinely a good winger, and I wouldn't be upset with him staying with the Broncs long term. I wonder if that's the plan, and if he's ok with it?
A Spot opens up next year with Herbie gone, Cobbo Will probably move to his preffered side on the Left playing centre which leaves the Wing spot vacant for Arthars or Mariner.

Oates is 28. He likely has 3 years left and Cobbo is an origin winger at 20 years old. Who are you dropping for Arthars?

He’s done himself proud but he’s a limited player. Watching Oates take his wing spot back over Arthars on the weekend was like not realising how sore your feet are after a long day until you take your shoes off

We're going to need Piakura and Willison next year when Flegs and Palasia are gone.

So I'm hoping these moves at the moment are about improving the depth across the squad so we arent relying on a bunch of rookies heading into next year.

We still need to replace Flegler, but what if Piakura starts to create real impact off the bench and pushing his way into the 17, with Capewell able to cover middle... then we might be starting to look at replacements coming from within...

and yes I know that Piakura is an edge player, but it means that Jensen is potentially the Flegler replacement and Capewell allows cover of Jensen... but it's building flexibility and depth across the squad which is another way to look at things
Flecther Blake coming on board next season will only add to that depth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Lostboy
  • Bucking Beads
  • johnny plath
  • bb_gun
  • YeahNahMate
  • broncos4life
  • sooticus
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.