Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Several members on GH blaming Sutton for the loss, quoting our win record at home with him as ref.

Problem is, they don't realize it's the wrong Sutton. The head official for the game on Saturday was Chris Sutton.

Several members on GH blaming Sutton for the loss, quoting our win record at home with him as ref.

Problem is, they don't realize it's the wrong Sutton. The head official for the game on Saturday was Chris Sutton.

It isn't as big of a tin foil hat brigade as i thought it would be though

The player only needs to make contact with the ball.

Once that happens, the defender can tackle him. This is why Manu was not penalized for his push on Su'A in the Roosters match.

It doesn't matter if Kodi doesn't have the ball in his hands, it never has. What matters is whether the player has already made contact with the ball or not. Once they have, it's fair game.

Unfortunately, it's a fair try.[/QUOTE

Is this just an opinionised guess as to what you think the rule should be? As there is no mention of your scenario in the rule book. So by your reckoning a player can jump for a ball,mbat it back but as soon as he runs back to regather the opposition can legally tackle him to the ground to prevent him from retrieving the ball. I've never heard nor read that rule. Can you kindly show that or give me a link.

1. Darius Boyd - He seems to have settled into this "Not terrible but not amazing either" mode and is sort of just drifting along, much like Thaiday but not as fat. Still has a shocking attitude when it comes to the captaincy, and it showed with his complete lack of leadership in the 1st half to get the team up when it was clear we were being monstered. 5
2. Corey Oates - Easily the best player we're fielding at the moment when TPJ isn't present. He is both playing for the QLD jersey which he has frankly been robbed of this year and also a new contract with a healthy dollar attached to it, and so he should get it too. 9
3. James Roberts - I loved his engagement in the 2nd half, pretty much shoving McC out of the way to get into dummy half. We need to see more of that from him. Any ball that Jet sees is good ball. A quiet first half drags down his score a tad. 6
4. Jordan Kahu - Dived on a gift try in the 2nd and seemed to defend really solidly. He's adapting well to the centres it seems, but you can't help but feel bad for Staggs, who played out of his skin and now is back in reserve grade. 6
5. Jamayne Isaako - Goalkicked like a freak and made a nice break to get us out of trouble when we needed it. Still very suspect in defence but for his rookie year, he's been very impressive. I'm giving him an 8 just for that amazing goalkicking which is so refreshing. 8
6. Anthony Milford - It's almost amazing how ying and yang his season has been, where it is literally coming down to having an abortion of a 1st half then being best on ground in the 2nd. He must work on his consistency going forward otherwise we're 8th placed roadkill in the finals. 7
7. Kodi Nikorima - He'd honestly be lucky to get a run in reserves at this point, and the fact that he played rep footy only 2 weekends ago makes for a depressing reality for NZ. A turnstile in defence and is lucky to fluke 1 or 2 positive plays a game. SOS literally anyone else. 4
8. Matthew Lodge - Was exposed a fair bit around the ruck in the 1st half but then Hodgson will do that to anyone short of Cameron Smith. Still, he worked hard for the whole game and didn't do anything stupid discipline wise. 6
9. Andrew McCullough - My faith in him being our hooker going forward has evaporated. His deficiencies in attack are completely overshadowing his positives in defence at this point, and Hodgson made him look second rate. I'm starting to believe we'll never win the premiership as long as he is our number 9. 3
10. Sam Thaiday - Personified how shit our first half was by looking fat, slow and error prone. Made up for it by not being terrible in the 2nd half but god damn if he's not being carried through his swansong season. 4
17. Alex Glenn - In a generally rubbish team performance, I guess he stood out. His support of Milf in the 2nd half for the try was good stuff, he defended solidly and didn't do anything stupid. If only he could perform like that every week. 7
12. Jaydn Su'a - His night was over early so there wasn't much to judge him on, but some of the hits he put on in defence were beauties. Another one we have to move heaven and earth to retain. 6
13. Josh McGuire - Back to Prop please. His lack of an offload is really killing us in attack. Otherwise it was a classic solid McGuire performance. 6

14. Patrick Mago - Had a pretty good game I thought. We were all concerned about the bench in the lead up to kick off and he stood up to somewhat negate that. Still, he's horrendously out of shape. 6
15. David Fifita - For a second rower on debut, you couldn't expect much more. Ran for some good metres off the bench and defended well for a young bloke. Man the amount of quality forwards we have coming through is getting insane. 6
16. Tom Opacic - Unsighted. What a waste of a bench spot. At least Staggs could've got some time in the 2nd row. N/A
18. Korbin Sims - was purely OKAY. Didn't stand out much for his experience but wasn't terrible on return either. Still wouldn't be against shipping him off at the end of the season. 5

Get out of my head! Only slight disagreement would be 6 for Fifita. For me was an 8 considering age and debut.

Is this just an opinionised guess as to what you think the rule should be? As there is no mention of your scenario in the rule book. So by your reckoning a player can jump for a ball,mbat it back but as soon as he runs back to regather the opposition can legally tackle him to the ground to prevent him from retrieving the ball. I've never heard nor read that rule. Can you kindly show that or give me a link.

It's not an opinionated guess, it's a well known rule that's been around for years.

Have you ever seen moments where a player is trying to catch a kick or a pass and he gets whacked the moment he touches it and loses it and it's play on? That's because he is deemed to be playing at it, and you can tackle players playing at the ball. The same applies in this situation. Kodi is playing at the ball, he has touched it therefore Boyd has every right to do what he did.

The scenario you suggested, if he bats it back and is tackled almost immediately then it's play on. If it's well after, it's a penalty. The contact has to be pretty much simultaneous.

The tackled without possession rule is more about moments players are tackled on suspicion because the defender thinks they are getting the ball or chasers that are tackled while chasing a kick etc.

It's not an opinionated guess, it's a well known rule that's been around for years.

Have you ever seen moments where a player is trying to catch a kick or a pass and he gets whacked the moment he touches it and loses it and it's play on? That's because he is deemed to be playing at it, and you can tackle players playing at the ball. The same applies in this situation. Kodi is playing at the ball, he has touched it therefore Boyd has every right to do what he did.

The scenario you suggested, if he bats it back and is tackled almost immediately then it's play on. If it's well after, it's a penalty. The contact has to be pretty much simultaneous.

The tackled without possession rule is more about moments players are tackled on suspicion because the defender thinks they are getting the ball or chasers that are tackled while chasing a kick etc.
So no link then. I have to admit like your claim I've been around for years and I have never been aware of that "well known rule". Just show me the rule and I'll be convinced.

So no link then. I have to admit like your claim I've been around for years and I have never been aware of that "well known rule". Just show me the rule and I'll be convinced.

I told you the rule that makes it okay.

A player touching the ball is deemed to be playing at the ball. You can play at a player that's playing at the ball. It happens a lot.

It would be the most common interpretation of the rule rather than the exact wording of the rule itself, and for good reason. The most common scenario in which this situation arises is when a player juggles the ball just before hitting the line. It would be unfair and open to blatant exploitation if the defending team was required to allow Mr. Butterfingers a contact-free passage through the defensive line whilst trying to regather. And while Kodi Nikorima trying to gather the ball in while facing his own try line is a completely different scenario, the same interpretation of the same rule is in play. If you are attempting to gain possession of the ball and have made contact with the ball the defenders can tackle you.

It would be the most common interpretation of the rule rather than the exact wording of the rule itself, and for good reason. The most common scenario in which this situation arises is when a player juggles the ball just before hitting the line. It would be unfair and open to blatant exploitation if the defending team was required to allow Mr. Butterfingers a contact-free passage through the defensive line whilst trying to regather. And while Kodi Nikorima trying to gather the ball in while facing his own try line is a completely different scenario, the same interpretation of the same rule is in play. If you are attempting to gain possession of the ball and have made contact with the ball the defenders can tackle you.

Used to have kids at school do exactly that, paddle the ball forward and if you hit them they'd say they were hit while not in possession. The rule that says you can't propel the ball forward deliberately is also in play here, but of course they'd argue that it wasn't deliberate (though often they'd be making those "woop wooah ooooh" sounds while doing it).

They deserve to be smashed. So we did.

There were a few things that really impressed me. Milford’s attack was so effective because he straightened the plays up so much instead of constantly shifting like he always does. Fifita’s debut was great he played big minutes and can really tackle.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.