vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Foordy you have Seibs listed as coach, please fix this. I'm tipping a tight win to the Bronx to start the Gentle era in style.

Brisbane have generally never been that worried about goalkicking; our best kickers have generally been reluctant to do it in the first place; we dont produce many internally and i can not ever rememebr us going to market specifically to buy a 80%+ kicker

Its just part of our make up; much like not spending copious amounts on forwards.....consider the year we are having now and look at where our salary cap has gone.....can kinda see why thats the case for 30 years now cant you..?

Isaakos goalkicking is a real bonus however and not a skill we should be treating lightly; as we rebuild into next year those kicks he can give us could be crucial in turning close losses into wins...
In principle I agree with you, but for the +4 or +6 points he gives us in goal kicking is regularly let down by -4 in tries conceded through poor defensive reads. That's the Isaako conundrum. He's a mediocre Fullback and a fairly ordinary Winger, but an absolutely clutch Goal Kicker. We're ironically somewhat lucky this year that we haven't missed his Goal kicking and field goal accuracy because we've almost never been close enough for that stuff to matter this season.

Given the guy played Centre through much of his younger years, combined with us having struggled to fill that spot consistently for some time now, it surprises me that we've never attempted to give him a run in that position?

Last edited:
In principle I agree with you, but for the +4 or +6 points he gives us in goal kicking is regularly let down by -4 in tries conceded through poor defensive reads. That's the Isaako conundrum. He's a mediocre Fullback and a fairly ordinary Winger, but an absolutely clutch Goal Kicker. We're ironically somewhat lucky this year that we haven't missed his Goal kicking and field goal accuracy because we've almost never been close enough for that stuff to matter this season.

Given the guy played Centre through much of his younger years, combined with us having struggled to fill that spot consistently for some time now, it surprises me that we've never attempted to give him a run in that position?

Its encumbered upon us and the player to really find his best position; one thats best for the structure of the team and for him to produce week in and week out...

There is a hell of a player in there somewhere....putting 2020 aside

Hopefully the next coach in sees the same

Its encumbered upon us and the player to really find his best position; one thats best for the structure of the team and for him to produce week in and week out...

There is a hell of a player in there somewhere....putting 2020 aside

Hopefully the next coach in sees the same
To be fair, his 2019 wasn't great either. Aside from his kicking which has remained consistently pretty elite, his form hasn't been much to rave about since his breakout year in 2018.

I'm keen to see what he has to offer as a Centre. He has a decent set of hands and he can certainly bust a tackle and with competent defenders either side of him it might help resolve the issue of him rushing out of the line and leaving a gaping hole on our edges when he plays on our Wing.

Last edited:
Random thought; if our backline was 1. Isaako 2. Farnworth 3. Kahu 4. Staggs 5. Coates - we would have the best jumping backline in the league by far. Just need someone accurate with their bombs. Bombs for days.

To be fair, his 2019 wasn't great either. Aside from his kicking which has remained consistently pretty elite, his form hasn't been much to rave about since his breakout year in 2018.

I'm keen to see what he has to offer as a Centre. He has a decent set of hands and he can certainly bust a tackle and with competent defenders either side of him it might help resolve the issue of him rushing out of the line and leaving a gaping hole on our edges when he plays on our Wing.
Is everyone forgetting round 1-2 when isaako was fullback? He was pretty damn good. Tbf croft was pretty elite as well, so that's not saying a lot.

Is everyone forgetting round 1-2 when isaako was fullback? He was pretty damn good. Tbf croft was pretty elite as well, so that's not saying a lot.
He was decent. I wouldn't say damn good though. Unfortunately the elite teams all have absolute guns in what is an absolute key role in the modern game and I think it's fair to say Isaako is a long way short of that.

Random thought; if our backline was 1. Isaako 2. Farnworth 3. Kahu 4. Staggs 5. Coates - we would have the best jumping backline in the league by far. Just need someone accurate with their bombs. Bombs for days.
How about:

1. Bird
2. Farnworth
3. Staggs
4. Isaako
5. Coates

I

A better playing line up, just not as good as catching high balls 😄
I get nervous sweats every time Isaako has to catch a ball, be it from a kick or a pass.

Can make the impossible look easy and the simple look complex.

Bit like Oates really, but Oates has entire games where he couldn’t catch a cold.

I get nervous sweats every time Isaako has to catch a ball, be it from a kick or a pass.

Can make the impossible look easy and the simple look complex.

Bit like Oates really, but Oates has entire games where he couldn’t catch a cold.
In the Centres he wouldn't be called on to defuse bombs regularly. He could focus on tackle busts and drawing and passing, which are both things he does a decent job of already.

His last really good year was 2018 and we didn't want for centres then. With his form from 2019 on I'm not sure putting him in the centres would have helped.

Its encumbered upon us and the player to really find his best position
In this instance you want incumbent, not encumbered.

His last really good year was 2018 and we didn't want for centres then. With his form from 2019 on I'm not sure putting him in the centres would have helped.
I'm just reluctant to throw him away on the scrapheap based on him struggling on the Wing when he never came to us as a Winger in the first place. I don't know that he's ever going to be good enough to cut it as an NRL Fullback, but we bought him knowing he had history in the Centres and yet that's basically the only position we've never attempted to play him in.

In this instance you want incumbent, not encumbered.

I like your style Dude

I'm just reluctant to throw him away on the scrapheap based on him struggling on the Wing when he never came to us as a Winger in the first place. I don't know that he's ever going to be good enough to cut it as an NRL Fullback, but we bought him knowing he had history in the Centres and yet that's basically the only position we've never attempted to play him in.
Yeah I'm not advocating taking him out behind the shed and being done with it, just that's why I think he hasn't been tried there. It's pretty hard to get a bead on him with the team playing so poorly and his own personal issues to deal with. I'd be happy to have 2018 Isaako on the wing, not averse to seeing if he can be a crispy centre either.

Except for fullback, is that not our backline for tonights game...?

EDIT; Sorry, just realised Kenners on a wing...my bad...

Last edited:
In the Centres he wouldn't be called on to defuse bombs regularly. He could focus on tackle busts and drawing and passing, which are both things he does a decent job of already.
Still has to catch passes...
And even more worryingly, make several more tackles.
Neither of which he has excelled in at times over his career.

I actually don’t think he is a spectacular runner of the ball either. Bloke is jacked but runs too upright and often gets pushed backwards. Needs to get his centre of gravity down to be a tackle buster. Tedesco is the best example of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Sproj
  • Fozz
  • Harry Sack
  • lynx000
  • Mighty Bronx
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.