vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
The club is in crisis at the moment, and as much as it pains me to say, I fear the Sharks might do us over by 50 or close to it. Without Milford we're gonna get smacked around.

The club is in crisis at the moment, and as much as it pains me to say, I fear the Sharks might do us over by 50 or close to it. Without Milford we're gonna get smacked around.

Yep - Sharkies hardly affected by Origin. They have their spine in tact. They have experience across the park. They lost last week to the last placed team so will be hurting. It's at Shark Park. This could be an absolute massacre. I imagine they will be bombing Farnsworth and Coates and sending Dugan, Morris, Feka and Xerri their way.

Or maybe they'll just run at Boyd.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really dont understand Broncos fans to be fair.

Seibold plays experienced players and the fans complain that we should be going with the young guns.
Sebold goes with he young guns and the fans complain that we dont have enough experience in the side.
He drops players that people have been bagging for ages and ultimately releases them from the club and then cops stick from everyone for releasing our guns and says that we should be keeping these players and playing them.

The team list is rubbish, yea I agree with that. But what is the poor prick supposed to do?
Alex Glenn (MCL) — Round 16
Tom Dearden (ankle) — Round 20
Jamayne Isaako (personal reasons) — indefinite
Jack Bird (knee) — season
Anthony Milford (knee) — indefinite
Richie Kennar (shoulder) — indefinite
Corey Oates - Rep
Joe O - Rep

4 players (including Milf FB) from our backline are injured and the other is out for rep duties meaning we simply cannot just drop Boyd.
Dearden is out so we literally have no other half with first grade experience. Turpin isn't ideal and I think he should be our starting hooker week in week out but its probably the best of a bad selection choice.
Sege back on the bench is great, if he can provide some impact that gives him the best chance of making a push for the 14 jersey the week after.
With Dearden back, he walks into the 7, Turpin could then move back to 9 keeping Sege on the bench giving the fans part of the spine they want.

Our forwards are almost full strength and the bench looks pretty good this week.

What more do you honestly expect Seibold to do this week?

Better balance? Injuries arent helping us, but we could field a better balanced side with a little more experience imo.

1 Boyd
2 Farnworth
3 Staggs
4 Shibasaki
5 Coates
6 Dargan
7 O'Sullivan
8 Lodge
9 Turpin
10 Haas
11 Glenn
12 TPJ
13 Fensom

14 Macca
15 Carrigan
16 Tagatese
17 Flegler. Just stuffed up putting Kennedy there!

Gives us a bit of experience, nobody really playing out of position and a halves pairing who already have a combination together.
[automerge]1562060054[/automerge]
Not by much and even so he's past his best.

Better to give these young guys an opportunity and see if they can grow from the experience.

I dont think keeping him to the end of the year would have hurt tbh, but he was always going to want to play NRL. What we could have done with is holding onto Seve or Opacic. Seve has done well switching between wing and center for the Storm, and Tommy is really playing some good footy now up North now he doesnt have to play as a defensive blanket like he did at Brisbane last year. Both would be starting now for us.

Last edited:
I dont think keeping him to the end of the year would have hurt tbh, but he was always going to want to play NRL. What we could have done with is holding onto Seve or Opacic. Seve has done well switching between wing and center for the Storm, and Tommy is really playing some good footy now up North now he doesnt have to play as a defensive blanket like he did at Brisbane last year. Both would be starting now for us.

I'm fine with moving all of them on. I'm glad they're playing well, but the club needed to move forward and give guys like Staggs, Shibasaki, Perese etc. room to grow.

I would have your starting 13, but the bench could do with some work. Macca at 14? Do you want BHQ to go into meltdown?

I'm fine with moving all of them on. I'm glad they're playing well, but the club needed to move forward and give guys like Staggs, Shibasaki, Perese etc. room to grow.

I would have your starting 13, but the bench could do with some work. Macca at 14? Do you want BHQ to go into meltdown?

Doesnt take much for this place to go into meltdown! Happy enough to keep Macca there for now while we are struggling with injuries. He is solid enough and doesnt generally make any glaring mistakes that cost us. We need a bit of stability with the amount of young blokes in this side. Long term, i think he is probably done.

Seve and Tom are only 24, so they are probably at a good age to have around the squad. I've said it before, but i dont think we have enough solid performers to bridge the gap between the promising kids and the veterans. Blokes like those two would be great options. I think Perese is starting to get to grips with league, but i think he would get exposed badly at center in defence at this moment in time if he played NRL.

The Broncos need more than stop-gaps and Shibasaki and Staggs are both at that age where they need the opportunity to sink or swim. Unless they're going to be match-winners, I don't see the point in hanging onto players who weren't getting the job done here.

What has convinced you these past couple of weeks that having Macca on the bench is a good idea?

The Broncos need more than stop-gaps and Shibasaki and Staggs are both at that age where they need the opportunity to sink or swim. Unless they're going to be match-winners, I don't see the point in hanging onto players who weren't getting the job done here.

What has convinced you these past couple of weeks that having Macca on the bench is a good idea?

I felt his his last two weeks were there for him to step up and claim his place back, and he didnt do it. This week its like i said before, but basically because he is a solid, no frills player who wont really make many errors despite him probably not setting the world on fire. He'd have his spot basically by Default.

I dont think Seve or Opacic tbh would have been stop gaps necessarily, and i didnt mean by saying they would bridge the gap that meant stop gaps.. We could have comfortably got 2-3 years out of them minimum for a relativley cheap price. Seve is performing well enough in Melbourne, but thats in a well drilled, very good side, whether he would be performing as well in a poor side like the Broncos is debatable. Tom is doing well in a pretty poor side in Townsville. I'd actually say even with Bird fit Tom would have a great chance of earning a first team spot if he was performing at a similar level to what he is up north. He is certainly playing as well, if not better than Staggs and definatley better than Shibasaki. Shibasaki has been a massive disappointment for me. Had really high hopes for him, thought he would kill it in first grade. Something isnt clicking for him.

Last edited:
Both Seve and Opacic had their opportunities to impress at the Broncos and didn't take them. Whatever improvement they would bring would only be marginal and we know what their ceiling is. The team needed to look at other options, if only to determine whether certain players are worth persevering with or if the club should hit the market.

The club shouldn't regret letting them go, they did the best thing for every party.

Also, I know his performances haven't been memorable but Macca has played the past three weeks. He's added nothing in any of those games and provides little impact. Surely he'd be better off in QCup, allowing Seibold to draw a line in the sand and giving him the opportunity to play without the intensity of NRL level football.

This was a game where I was very surprised the Broncos were able to hold the Sharks out and stop them from scoring a single try.

The Sharks dominated the first half. They had all the running. They dominated possession and field position and had the Broncos on the ropes for most of that first half but they could not crack the Broncos defence even when Gene Miles was in the bin for 10 minutes. They were a struggling side, only had 2 wins coming into this game, but they spent most of that first half camped in Broncos end of the field and the only points came from a penalty goal. To their credit, the Broncos goal line defence was quite strong.

The Broncos in that first half, they were struggling. They came into this game on the back of 3 straight losses and it showed. They just weren't clicking, they couldn't find their rhythm, passes were going to ground, they were quite sloppy. They couldn't really get into the Sharks attacking zone and spent most of that first half struggling to work out of their end of the field. It didn't help that Langer had to come off due to injury at the back end of that half who was replaced by Dale Shearer. Their only points coming from a penalty goal and both sides went into the break 2-2.

However, things changed in the second half. I'm not sure what happened in the sheds at half time but the Broncos came out a much different side. They had a bit more urgency with their play, they were playing with a lot more energy. Suddenly it was the Broncos dominating possession and field position. They were playing with a bit more adventure, the forwards were offloading more which was creating a lot of space for the backs and once Chris Johns scored the first try from a chip and chase, the flood gates opened and they tore the Sharks apart. Gene Miles was a big part of their big win, he was just superb in that second half and the Sharks defence could not contain him. He was like an extra playmaker on the field and had a hand in most of the Broncos tries including scoring one himself. I don't know who got MOTM but he was my MOTM. He was in everything.

Both Seve and Opacic had their opportunities to impress at the Broncos and didn't take them. Whatever improvement they would bring would only be marginal and we know what their ceiling is. The team needed to look at other options, if only to determine whether certain players are worth persevering with or if the club should hit the market.

The club shouldn't regret letting them go, they did the best thing for every party.

Also, I know his performances haven't been memorable but Macca has played the past three weeks. He's added nothing in any of those games and provides little impact. Surely he'd be better off in QCup, allowing Seibold to draw a line in the sand and giving him the opportunity to play without the intensity of NRL level football.

I'm not sure we do know what their ceiling is yet tbh, probably have a better idea at the end of this year after a year of regular NRL for them both.

I agree with you about Macca mostly I'm just not convinced this is the week to do it.

The side that played the Knights last week showed little interest. With the new blokes out to impress this week that won’t be an issue. No doubt we’re up against it but fingers crossed for a bit more ticker.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised by a win to the Broncos simply because our forwards can match Cronulla. If they couldn't we may as well forfeit but if they play to their potential a win is possible if somewhat unlikely. Cronulla could come out simply expecting a win.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • lynx000
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Alec
  • Lozza
  • BroncosAlways
  • ChewThePhatt
  • I bleed Maroon
  • BruiserMk1
  • Hurrijo
  • Spoon
  • Santa
  • Johnny92
  • Broncorob
  • NSW stables
  • matthewransom34@ic
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.