Round 16 - Warriors vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

Hopefully you're right. It was a highly entertaining game but frustrating just the same. Like I said, I thought the Warriors were terrible and we deserved the win. Knocking off the Storm away from home would be massive and would be the highlight of the year for me.

Having to play the Storm after their loss this weekend is going to suck terribly :001_tt2:

I'm absolutely gutted to lose that game, we absolutely deserved to win. Fucking crushed. Felt like I'd been punched in the gut after that last try, I was really riding the boys that game :sad:

PROS:
- In general terms, every player played to their potential tonight.
- Thaiday had a fantastic captain's knock - where has this been all year?! Origin has sparked something, he needs to continue this for the remainder of the year. He was outstanding tonight, he kept putting up his hand and the whole team fed off the back of it.
- Our kicking game was, generally, brilliant tonight - big raps for the pressure-building, we've struggled to do it this year but tonight was great, keep it up.
- We should have won. The intensity and aggression we need was there, line speed (mostly), hard hits, and we just kept turning up in defence time and time again. Clearly playing for each other, aiming up well...I can't emphasise enough how our defence got us on top of that game.
- Few errors for most of the game, that was wonderful to see.
- Special mention to Glenn as well, he had a cracker of a game - easily his best this year IMO, and hopefully he can keep it up. Gillett also very strong, he's finding some good form.
- Game plan was pretty good - run bigger men at their smaller ones whenever possible. All their smaller guys were pretty quiet due to the defensive workload - we know this works, see Origin II for a stellar example :winky:
- Hoffy making over 200m, and another strong game from Reed - more tries to those 2 today if fucking Norman could pass.
- Parker was again a fucking machine: most offloads, most tackles, second most metres behind Hoffy and near double the runs of any other forward. Fucking outstanding!!
- The boys did well not to lose their heads after the early Warriors try. They kept their heads up and got back on top - haven't seen that a lot this year so it was really good to see. That attitude is what I want to see, win or lose.

CONS:
- NO pressure on Manu scoring that first try. I was livid, as someone else said that might have been the difference tonight. FFS it's the most simple thing, if they're in the corner FUCKING KEEP THEM THERE!!
- Norman / Wallace being unable to pass under pressure. Piss fucking poor, we had tries gone begging tonight.
- Wal mustn't have peripheral vision!! He keeps getting the defense rushing up at him and he either gets caught with it or doesn't have the time to make a good decision.
- Hodges having a shocker towards the end there - poor bugger was out on his feet with 20mins to go! We'll be very lucky if he can back up against the Storm on Friday night IMO. He was trying so hard and I can't be too critical of him for that, we need more creativity and he brings that...but there were a couple of pretty crap options at the end there which were clearly brought on by fatigue.
- Bench rotation for mine wasn't ideal, it's something I've been critical of all season. Hala didn't get enough minutes, and Lui (5 tackles, 3 runs for 21m) got all of what, 5?? Not good enough. Hunt could probably have come back on/stayed on to give Hodges a rest at the back end of the game too? The last 10mins or whatever?
- Execution and poor last tackle options still killing us sometimes but in all fairness it was pretty good tonight.

Generally very happy tonight, we clearly put in and were very unlucky not to come away with the win. Home crowd definitely influenced the ref: we got pinged multiple times (fairly I will add) for forward passes, when they didn't get pulled up ONCE (and should have). They were also getting away with a bit in the ruck but I don't think it was more than any other team on any other day. Prince will be wishing he could have that pass again and Parker probably wishing he could take his kick again too. I thought it was a bad option, but he has kicked them before, so I can accept the attempt. Just gutted to lose like that, but it was one hell of a game. Most entertaining all year IMO.

Storm on Friday after their loss will be fucking hard, the win tonight would have been real handy but the guys should take a lot of confidence out of today. If we can play like that, we will stretch them. They are definitely not as strong as recent years, and a stack of other teams are showing they can be beat. Our turn for a win over them for a change!!

One criticism, Hodges needs to talk to Read and learn how to pass again. Maranta the poor bugger doesn't get much ball unless it's last minute Hail Mary from the inside.

The ironic thing is that Hodges was having a joke about the team teaching Reed how to pass again early on in the season.

Having to play the Storm after their loss this weekend is going to suck terribly :001_tt2:

I'm absolutely gutted to lose that game, we absolutely deserved to win. ****ing crushed. Felt like I'd been punched in the gut after that last try, I was really riding the boys that game :sad:

PROS:
- In general terms, every player played to their potential tonight.
- Thaiday had a fantastic captain's knock - where has this been all year?! Origin has sparked something, he needs to continue this for the remainder of the year. He was outstanding tonight, he kept putting up his hand and the whole team fed off the back of it.
- Our kicking game was, generally, brilliant tonight - big raps for the pressure-building, we've struggled to do it this year but tonight was great, keep it up.
- We should have won. The intensity and aggression we need was there, line speed (mostly), hard hits, and we just kept turning up in defence time and time again. Clearly playing for each other, aiming up well...I can't emphasise enough how our defence got us on top of that game.
- Few errors for most of the game, that was wonderful to see.
- Special mention to Glenn as well, he had a cracker of a game - easily his best this year IMO, and hopefully he can keep it up. Gillett also very strong, he's finding some good form.
- Game plan was pretty good - run bigger men at their smaller ones whenever possible. All their smaller guys were pretty quiet due to the defensive workload - we know this works, see Origin II for a stellar example :winky:
- Hoffy making over 200m, and another strong game from Reed - more tries to those 2 today if ****ing Norman could pass.
- Parker was again a ****ing machine: most offloads, most tackles, second most metres behind Hoffy and near double the runs of any other forward. ****ing outstanding!!
- The boys did well not to lose their heads after the early Warriors try. They kept their heads up and got back on top - haven't seen that a lot this year so it was really good to see. That attitude is what I want to see, win or lose.

CONS:
- NO pressure on Manu scoring that first try. I was livid, as someone else said that might have been the difference tonight. FFS it's the most simple thing, if they're in the corner ****ING KEEP THEM THERE!!
- Norman / Wallace being unable to pass under pressure. **** ****ing poor, we had tries gone begging tonight.
- Wal mustn't have peripheral vision!! He keeps getting the defense rushing up at him and he either gets caught with it or doesn't have the time to make a good decision.
- Hodges having a shocker towards the end there - poor bugger was out on his feet with 20mins to go! We'll be very lucky if he can back up against the Storm on Friday night IMO. He was trying so hard and I can't be too critical of him for that, we need more creativity and he brings that...but there were a couple of pretty crap options at the end there which were clearly brought on by fatigue.
- Bench rotation for mine wasn't ideal, it's something I've been critical of all season. Hala didn't get enough minutes, and Lui (5 tackles, 3 runs for 21m) got all of what, 5?? Not good enough. Hunt could probably have come back on/stayed on to give Hodges a rest at the back end of the game too? The last 10mins or whatever?
- Execution and poor last tackle options still killing us sometimes but in all fairness it was pretty good tonight.

Generally very happy tonight, we clearly put in and were very unlucky not to come away with the win. Home crowd definitely influenced the ref: we got pinged multiple times (fairly I will add) for forward passes, when they didn't get pulled up ONCE (and should have). They were also getting away with a bit in the ruck but I don't think it was more than any other team on any other day. Prince will be wishing he could have that pass again and Parker probably wishing he could take his kick again too. I thought it was a bad option, but he has kicked them before, so I can accept the attempt. Just gutted to lose like that, but it was one hell of a game. Most entertaining all year IMO.

Storm on Friday after their loss will be ****ing hard, the win tonight would have been real handy but the guys should take a lot of confidence out of today. If we can play like that, we will stretch them. They are definitely not as strong as recent years, and a stack of other teams are showing they can be beat. Our turn for a win over them for a change!!

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Well, except I'm not as confident about beating the Storm. They always lift against us and produce some massively flukey shit.

Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. Well, except I'm not as confident about beating the Storm. They always lift against us and produce some massively flukey shit.

Last 2 games we played them, the refs stuffed up in their favour.

We were definitely the better side. The Warriors were dreadful today but a few soft penalties on our part gave them opportunities. That being said, our performance reinforced my fear that we are not genuine contenders. Even worse, we won't go anywhere near troubling the top teams. Melbourne, Manly, Souths etc would have crushed the Warriors today.

It also highlighted the problem with the halves. Our forwards were outstanding and had no trouble getting us field position. With few exceptions, the kicking game from Prince and Wallace was horrendous. I think the top 8 is beyond us now so why not try some things. I think Kahu should go to number 1 when he's fit. Our halves definitely need to change. I don't care if Norman goes back there. We cannot keep persisting with Prince and Wallace. Prince's defence is costing us dearly and Wallace's confidence looks shot to bits. Maybe a stint in Qld Cup to work on a few technical aspects of his game will do him good.

About from the first sentence I can't agree with any of that. That is nearly all completely backwards. I'm not even sure you watched the game... That's bizarre

I honestly didn't think it was forward.

Agreed it was such a shit call. How often do we see passes so far forward they would make aaron Rodgers proud... Yet when we throw a line ball for the match winner, perenara can't call it fast enough

One thing that did stick out to me was the number of times Corey Norman played dummy half with a knackered looking Macca dragging his heels in the background. I don't know if this was a deliberate strategy or just someone showing some initiative after noticing Macca was having trouble keeping up? Either way it highlights how Macca really is struggling playing 80 minutes. Anyone would think he had played origin the way he was dragging along behind in the last 25 minutes.

This is a big concern for me - McCullough seems to have a similar fitness level to a dead panda. It was acceptable in his first couple of years, but he really should be up to scratch by now. All too often I see him standing hands on hips behind the play when we've got the ball.

We missed Hannant. Especially if it was to be the same Hannant that played against the Tigers. Saying that Hannant is our best half is a bit of a joke, but it's not too far from the truth (unlike James Graham being better, which pretty much is the truth). Alex Glenn went really well, 14 runs for 140 metres + 40 tackles. His workrate hasn't been up to scratch for most of the year, and this was a positive sign from him. Parker is just a superman this year (and not the shitty Superman Returns version). Jack Reed and Hoffman were both impressive too.

On the unrelated positive side, I did lol at today's QLD Cup commentators going "And there's Scott Anderson losing the ball".

@LittleDavey83, you saved me heaps of typing, thank you! :winky:
Your post reflects pretty much my opinion of the game. Still gutted to loose a game we definitely deserved to win. :glare:
@CaptainHook, I truly have no clue what game you were watching, but it wasn't today's Warriors or Broncos!
[MENTION=8294]winslow_wong[/MENTION], who needs enemies with friends like you? :001_unsure:

Both teams completed above 85% of their sets and only made 8 errors each, which in Warriors language, means they were excellent and would've beaten pretty much everyone!

We still lack a bit of finishing polish and some decisions should've been better, particularly Hodgo made himself guilty of involving himself too much. Not bagging him, because he was trying, as I don't bag Prince's pass at all, as it was the right play imo, even if it turned to crap.

Both halves were very good imo, certainly the best game of the pair this season, and their kicking, especially Wallace's, was excellent. On the other hand, Wallace needs to give himself a bit more space to avoid dying with the ball in hands, because other teams are starting to target him, knowing he isn't quick or evasive enough to avoid the fast second rowers that teams have been sending his way. Today was Mannering, last week was Fulton...

Otherwise, proud of the boys effort, particularly Thaiday leading from the front and of course Parker the literal workhorse. Too bad he missed that kick, he and the team deserved better!
Pissed of at Maranta for just giving up and standing there while Vatuvei improved the conversion position. At least he didn't step on the side line (but came close) to score his try. I miss Yow Yeh so much on that wing, but will be happy just to see Kahu back!
Not pissed at Hoffman, who in the late stages of the game, just couldn't keep up with Hurrell after 2 consecutive runs with the ball. It's not a question of fitness, but stamina, and his muscles must have been burning trying to sprint again. On the contrary, very happy with the way he has been playing and how awesome he is on the wing. Too bad his chance at a double was stolen from him in a bad ref decision that cost us the win.

Unfortunate to miss out on Hannant again. It could and probably would've made the difference today. Sounds like he will miss the Storm game as well... :001_rolleyes:

I am in Mr Wright and LittleDavey's boat of optimism. I think we can make the finals on 30 pts, and if we maintain this discipline and effort, we might just start our winning run in Melbourne!

Last edited:
MOM
3. Sam Thaiday In a game for men he was the Alpha Male , one of the gutsiest hard man performances from a Forward in the NRL in years. PLayed Origin , Turned up to the Jungle and Bolwed our Props like bowling pins. All over the park , firing up a desperate gang of queenslanders from the Mightiest attacking rugby league club in the modern game.
If that wasn't enough an Origin Spent Thaiday exploded into a sprint to cover eighty meters late in the game while he and the FLying Konrad Hurrell left Josh Hofman in their wake.....no room for boys in that life and death dramatic game deciding play.

Diving with all his might Thaiday incredibly makes contact with Hurrells legs , but that 1 % petrol needed to make the tackle of the decade was left on the grass of Lang park against NSW.
Spent. Thaiday lies on the ground broken , Hurrell can't stand , such was the chase from Sam Thaiday.

I copied and pasted that post from the Warriors website posted by a fan.

I thought it was essentially truth.

Hard game to sit through today...not good for the blood pressure.

The Better team on the day lost (that cliche usually reads the other way around ) , Brisbane completely took the Warriors outside of their own game and dominated.

From a Warriors point of view I take heart in that the Reffs gave us a home ground advantage flavor to their calls , that's pretty much how it goes across the comp . we would have been screwed in an away game against a team playing like yours.

All the best for the rest of the season , this team has set new records in the last year and a half for being the worst results wise in Warriors history, we might be turning a corner....I thought the Broncs did today as well.

Agreed it was such a shit call. How often do we see passes so far forward they would make aaron Rodgers proud... Yet when we throw a line ball for the match winner, perenara can't call it fast enough

Even the totally biased radio commentators were saying it 'drifted' forwards, but came out of the hands backwards.

A game changer for sure, but at least we put in a good performance and went down fighting.

Parramatta are certainties the only side they could lose it to is the Tigers but that seems unlikely.

Don't forget the dragons b-man. They are gunning hard for it

What's the BHQ consensus on the decision to take the kick for goal at the end to level the score? (sorry if it's been discussed already.....I haven't read the entire thread)

Personally I think it was the wrong call. Should have either taken a quick tap or kicked for touch and gone for the try.

It reeked of a defeatist type mentality.......would rather go down fighting than walk away with one point.

What say ye....?

What's the BHQ consensus on the decision to take the kick for goal at the end to level the score? (sorry if it's been discussed already.....I haven't read the entire thread)

Personally I think it was the wrong call. Should have either taken a quick tap or kicked for touch and gone for the try.

It reeked of a defeatist type mentality.......would rather go down fighting than walk away with one point.

What say ye....?

Firstly I don't think it was defeatist or an attempt to 'just take one point'. I believe it was a chance to level it up and then beat them in extra time.

For mine it's all hindsight. If we went for the try with only a minute odd left we would have maybe three or four attempts. The warriors defence had been strong and there is every chance they would have held us out. It was a frustrating loss and I'm tipping if they went for the try and lost people would be saying "why go for the try? Level it up and beat them in golden point! Parker could have kicked that, terrible decision" etc etc

Unread

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • john1420
  • Sproj
  • Mr Fourex
  • Hurrijo
  • kiwi2
  • HarryAllan7
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.