Round 16 - Warriors vs. Broncos - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
warriors have the bye this week as well though and thats usually long enough for them to forget how to play.

warriors have the bye this week as well though and thats usually long enough for them to forget how to play.
True they come off the Bye rounds very poorly traditionally.....the Warriors forum has a thread dedicated to that very topic it's called ' Gordon Tallis's comments about the bye or something along those lines....after Gordy pointed out what you have on one of the shows he's on.

True they come off the Bye rounds very poorly traditionally.....the Warriors forum has a thread dedicated to that very topic it's called ' Gordon Tallis's comments about the bye or something along those lines....after Gordy pointed out what you have on one of the shows he's on.
MS, welcome, it is nice to have some input from the opposing fans that isn't trolling.

While it's true that you never know which Warriors team will turn up as a general rule........I can assure you after attending every home game at Mt Smart since 1995 that the Warriors will show up for this one. They are a confidence team , when they are up mentally they are a different proposition. While I want the Warriors to win..playing the Warriors right now in this mood is the hardest game in the NRL just ask the Roosters and Manly

Mt Smart, firstly, welcome. It's always an interesting situation when rival team fans come to BHQ to discuss an upcoming fixture. Whilst you DO seem overly confident, you also come across as a good sport. Your trash-talking, I feel in this particular case then, is all in good jest.

Anyways, looking forward greatly to reading more of your postings.

The optimist in me says that the boys can win this one but the optimist in me also picked them to win by 10+ pts the last time these 2 teams met. In reality, if the Warriors hold their form, then they will be victors by 10+, maybe even 20+. I've seen enough sport in my life to know when my team is a turkey and being a lifelong Sask. Roughrider fan, I have endured many turkeys. This side will be lucky to avoid the bottom 4, we have a halfback who should be playing park footy, a coach who should be with him and a skipper who is as inspirational as melba toast or a current day Madonna in a G-string. But knowing the optimist in me, I may have a different opinion tomorrow.

The season is over if we don't win against the Warriors, it's that simple. We cannot make the eight should we lose. Every team above us from 7 through to 1 is in the eight almost certainly with the Raiders in eighth one game clear. I think there is only the final position available and the teams in 9th and 10th have a better for and against than us. We have to win and hope the Raiders,Knights and Panthers struggle. I can see the Panthers battling but the other two have looked better than us for a while now. The Knights in particular have lost their last four games by narrow margins and will continue to compete strongly.

it looks like do or die to me

Agreed .....they aren't likely to string together too many good games in a row. It's not their go.

Broncs in an upset here...

if the Broncos can't get up for this game there's no hope

Against a Warriors side (IMO more than most top teams in good form which they are) : slow play the balls and slow defensive line speed (no go-forward) = a loss by 40 points.

Give them a little space and time, and Johnson, Locke and Mateo will tear us to shreds.

Equally, frustrate them with rock solid defence and relentlessly good kick-chase, then, more than most teams in good form, they will lose discipline and fall apart, and we will win - just.

For mine, the Warriors greatest weakness is they are too easily frustrated and unlike the other top sides, they tend to lose it more

Last edited:
Side I expect to see named come Tuesday.

1. Corey Norman
2. Denan Kemp
3. Jack Reed
4. Josh Hoffman
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Scott Prince
7. Peter Wallace
8. Ben Hannant
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Sam Thaiday (c)
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Corey Parker

14. Ben Hunt
15. Josh McGuire
16. David Hala
17. Mitchell Dodds

Have the inkling Oates maybe selected at centre in place of Hoffman with Kemp being dropped. Kahu & Whitchurch may factor in too.

Given our rather precarious position, I honestly can't understand why Hodges should, or will be rested. I think it would be a totally DUMB move.

Equally, as much as I'd love Kempy to play, why break up the Reed-Hoffman combination? It's our most potent attacking weapon.

Not to go into such an important game without your strongest side is for me, well, dumb. We are on the cusp of finishing in the bottom 4, and Hodges doesn't have that much longer to go before he retires and next year, one year older, he loses progressively his effectiveness and resilience to injury and recovery.

For mine, not going into this game without our strongest possible team is effectively saying we give up on season 2013. This is one game we really have to win.

Oates? Isn't he a back rower? If Hodges doesn't play, I'd rather Glenn in the centres marking up against Hurrell, start with McGuire at prop, Thaiday back row and put Wallace on the bench

Last edited:
We don't have a choice with Hodges, such is the state of his body.

Who else is going to play in the centres? Neither Hodges or Kahu would be fit. Glenn was awful in the centres last year - I expect to see Oates blooded there if given the chance. He does play in the backrow position, but has spent a lot of time in the centres too.

Warriors 13+. Griffin will talk about renewed efforts in D but will feel we were unlucky to fall short (by 13+)

Warriors in NZ are difficult at the best of times, let alone coming off Origin and a side low on confidence and belief.

Easy cash to make this week, unfortunately.

I just hope the way the boys supported one another last week was signs that they're coming together as a team.

The scene they created when Reed & Hoffman tackled the Wests winger into the in-goal following a beautiful clearing kick from Wallace was truly promising. I just hope that's the type of attitude the boys show up with.

You're going to know if we're going to bother to play by our opening 10 minutes again. If we don't take the game to the Warriors and allow them to mow us down, it's going to be another cranky Sunday afternoon and could lead to a rebellion at Red Hill.

The scene they created when Reed & Hoffman tackled the Wests winger into the in-goal following a beautiful clearing kick from Wallace was truly promising. I just hope that's the type of attitude the boys show up with.

i remember seeing this at the time and thinking maybe there is something in this team afterall.

How many bad performances in a row would it take for Thaiday to get dropped to the bench? Probably infinite...he's so inconsistent though. He's had a couple of ripper games 6 or 7 rounds ago, but is back to being average now.

How many bad performances in a row would it take for Thaiday to get dropped to the bench? Probably infinite...he's so inconsistent though. He's had a couple of ripper games 6 or 7 rounds ago, but is back to being average now.

He is SH!T in the front row. When he was shifted wider against the Tigers he looked way better. I am 100% for Thaiday going to #12 and Gillett going to the bench. And I have Gillett in my fantasy teams - I'm that committed to the team workaround that I'd place my #1 league rankings in jeopardy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Galah
  • Painin the Haas
  • KateBroncos1812
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.