PRE-GAME Round 17 - Broncos vs Panthers

I am just waiting for everyone blame kennar for his poor defence/reads this week (as he will be partnering katoni on the right side)

Its frustrating seeing our wingers on that side (farnworth, arthurs, isaako) constantly blamed for poor reads even though they have had to respond that way due to katoni's reads (although i will admit coates' reads are rubbish on his own accord).

It seems a strange one though really. With Paps there, where does Hynes fit in unless he is happy to be a back up his whole career?

I'm not saying I want him but just trying to see where the benefit is for him?

One of the Storm's strength is the ability to recruit from the ISC, Hynes was at Mackay and Sunshine Coast, Storm see something where no one else had and he's playing NRL. Players feel a great loyalty towards that and it's hard to overcome. A player like Hynes that has played nearly 100 ISC games and Manly NYC and done the hard slog isn't going to leave Storm.

It's a great skill for them to be able to identify that 100k a year player they need and get something out of him. Not too many clubs do it.

One of the Storm's strength is the ability to recruit from the ISC, Hynes was at Mackay and Sunshine Coast, Storm see something where no one else had and he's playing NRL. Players feel a great loyalty towards that and it's hard to overcome. A player like Hynes that has played nearly 100 ISC games and Manly NYC and done the hard slog isn't going to leave Storm.

It's a great skill for them to be able to identify that 100k a year player they need and get something out of him. Not too many clubs do it.
It also shows that the storm scouts/recruitment team are not out there just looking for the next 16-18 year old prodigy or players that dominate in the junior grades (which appears to have been the broncos focus for the past several years).

They look at players who have demonstrated that they perform well against other men at a senior level.

Last edited:
It also shows that the storm scouts/recruitment team are not out there just looking for the next 16-18 year old prodigy or players that dominate in the junior grades (which appears to have been the broncos focus for the past several years).

They look at players who have demonstrated that they perform well against other men at a senior level.

As well as players who show character, the right attitude and a football brain rather than just being top notch athletes

It's extra frustrating when the Broncos have to now pay three times the amount to get guys they could have got when they played ISC for 100k but they didn't even look at them.

I am just waiting for everyone blame kennar for his poor defence/reads this week (as he will be partnering katoni on the right side)

Its frustrating seeing our wingers on that side (farnworth, arthurs, isaako) constantly blamed for poor reads even though they have had to respond that way due to katoni's reads (although i will admit coates' reads are rubbish on his own accord).

I think it is more than just Kotoni's poor reads. They are largely the result of poorly coached edge defensive structures, and poorly coached defence in general. Give our edge players to a coach like Robinson and they would be the best in the business.

Last edited:

I’ve been spouting off about this for a couple of years now, they get these star young players that are bigger growing up and dominate these smaller, slower kids then they get to first grade and realise they can’t just score or make line breaks at will to cover their deficiencies. The modern game you absolutely need to be competent either side of the ball, now I don’t know how much of this is coaching but the cracks were showing under Bennett as well.

Kahu missed selection due to having to go into isolation due to a COVID scare. he is waiting for his results before he can return to the bubble.

doesn't sound like it was from any breach ... he just had a sore thoat earlier in the week, so under the rules had to get tested

Kahu missed selection due to having to go into isolation due to a COVID scare. he is waiting for his results before he can return to the bubble.

doesn't sound like it was from any breach ... he just had a sore thoat earlier in the week, so under the rules had to get tested

That is a change from him being perennially injured.
I guess if it was going to happen to anyone it would be him.

Kahu being the first NRL player to test positive and get ruled out for Coronavirus would certainly be very Kahu indeed.

That is a change from him being perennially injured.
I guess if it was going to happen to anyone it would be him.
He always finds a way to be injured.

If it wasn't for bird, he'd easily be our most over paid player. 400k to play 1 game and he has the nerve to bag the club. **** Kahu, hope the dickhead is out the door end of the year.

It's extra frustrating when the Broncos have to now pay three times the amount to get guys they could have got when they played ISC for 100k but they didn't even look at them.
This is why we need bunn back or that computer program they got, have heard that's how they do it.

who putting some $ on this game?.....10$ ffs....worth dropping some change on

Koroisau expected to play.

Hmm where do they attack, up the middle, on the edges, out wide, through the air, via sustained pressure from repeat sets?

Find out tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Koroisau expected to play.

Hmm where do they attack, up the middle, on the edges, out wide, through the air, via sustained pressure from repeat sets?

Find out tomorrow night.

All of the above or none, they still put 80 on.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Bucking Beads
  • Rambstien
  • MrMoore
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Mr Fourex
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • Lostboy
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • The Strapper
  • Socnorb
  • bb_gun
  • heartly87
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • Johnny92
  • upthebroncs
  • Spooky1013
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.