vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although it's probably not a long term option, I'm pretty interested to see how Nikorima would go at left centre for 80 minutes.. If he could handle the workload defensively he might be a nice option, would certainly add some speed and x-factor to the left side to compliment Milf & Oates. Heck, if he turns into a starting caliber cente we can grab his brother back from the chooks to fill his bench utility role next year.

It seems incredibly unlikely that someone his size could defend at centre though, unfortunately.

I agree that in attack he'd be lethal running of Milf... but there'd be so many points scored down that edge against us as well. He's just too small.

The idea of Proctor running at Milford and Nikorima is more than a little bit scary.

Andrew McCullough ready to return for Broncos in crucial clash with Storm

BRONCOS hooker Andrew McCullough says the past two months have been the most frustrating of his NRL career, as he has watched the majority of football from the sidelines.

One of Brisbane’s most consistent players, McCullough has played just two of the past seven games after suffering a hamstring tear in Round 8 and breaking his thumb in his side’s Round 12 loss to the Tigers.

The Broncos have missed his direction greatly in that time, suffering two of their worst losses, and will welcome him back with open arms for Friday’s clash with the Storm.

But McCullough says no one is more ready for his return than him.

Before this year he had not missed a game since 2014 and he says it has been hard watching from the sidelines.

“I haven’t been able to deal with that before,” McCullough said.

“You want to do your best for the team but you’re also constricted to what you do and you’re probably a bit more of a hindrance sometimes if you are around the boys.

“That’s a learning curve for me to miss a month of footy. It’s given me a positive outlook to freshen up and make sure I have my body right and can contribute a lot to the team.

“I have tried to train hard and keep fit so when I was right to go I could help the team the best way I can.”

McCullough said he had not actually seen too much of Brisbane’s recent matches as he found it “hard to watch”.

But he is determined to help his side back into the winner’s circle.

He said he was confident he would be at his best for a showdown with the in-form Melbourne.

“Fitness will be no drama,” he said.

“Being a hand (injury), I’ve been able to run. I’ve done plenty of running over the last month and a bit and I know how to manage my game now to get through it.

“I just want to put a consistent back end of the year together now.”

McCullough is not the only inclusion for Friday’s match, with backrower Alex Glenn (shoulder) also named to return.

Jordan Kahu (pec) did not make the cut however, despite putting in a strong training session that included full contact work on Tuesday.

With fellow backs Jack Reed (shoulder), Tom Opacic (foot) and Greg Eden (torn PCL) all sidelined, utility Kodi Nikorima will play in the centres with Lachlan Maranta to come on to the wing.

Travis Waddell will be available to cover McCullough, after he was named on the bench.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
Yeah, I love Kodi but he is a midget and defending at centre is completely different to defending at hooker.

Hard to believe how shit our depth is this year, and when we debut someone they just get injured anyway.

When did Macca become our saviour? He's good and all but he's being spoken of as though he's Lockyer calibre.

Although it's probably not a long term option, I'm pretty interested to see how Nikorima would go at left centre for 80 minutes.. If he could handle the workload defensively he might be a nice option, would certainly add some speed and x-factor to the left side to compliment Milf & Oates. Heck, if he turns into a starting caliber cente we can grab his brother back from the chooks to fill his bench utility role next year.

It seems incredibly unlikely that someone his size could defend at centre though, unfortunately.

I'm with you mate. I don't think we had much choice and to be fair we are down to our 4th choice left centre. Maybe Wayne is buttering him up to get him to stay on. Doubt he can defend there for 80 either... I can see Oates coming off his wing to do his work for him.. Just had a feltd flash back

Yep im confused. Why not put Glenn in at centre? Especially if his shoulder is still recovering. We dont need him to injure it again. Kodi will give his all, no doubt, but not confident defensively either

Wasn't there a mention somewhere a month or so ago that Kodi may get offered a starting spot potentially in the centres to stay?

There was, but it wasnt received well then. If he proves majority wrong though, what a problem solved I suppose. I really hope we can keep him.

He is only 6cm shorter and 4kg lighter than Steve Renouf who handled himself okay in the centres. Mat Rogers was only 3 kg heavier than him. I know he played in a different position, but a position where forwards were directed at him, but Langer was 9cm shorter and 8kg lighter. I don't know that size would necessarily stop him. He would have to work on his defence but that would not be insurmountable.

It surprises me we are not looking at any other players, I still think we are a wing/centre and a good sized prop away from having our roster finalised. I am pleased that Greg Inglis is not coming.

Kodi has a tank outside of him so maybe Oates might defend one in and Kodi on the wing

I love what Kahu could offer in attack at centre because you know he is actually happy to pass the ball. Defense is an issue but his time at hooker has already helped him immensely there. He is a quality that guys like Roberts and Reed haven't shown for us much yet this year, the quality of being able to produce something from nothing. I still remember watching him in the under 20's whenever we got behind, him and his bro would just put the team on their shoulders and drag them back into the game.

3./4. KNik

17. JNik next year actually has me excited.

I love what Kahu could offer in attack at centre because you know he is actually happy to pass the ball. Defense is an issue but his time at hooker has already helped him immensely there. He is a quality that guys like Roberts and Reed haven't shown for us much yet this year, the quality of being able to produce something from nothing. I still remember watching him in the under 20's whenever we got behind, him and his bro would just put the team on their shoulders and drag them back into the game.

3./4. KNik

17. JNik next year actually has me excited.

I take it you meant to say nikorima not kahu ?

Workload wouldn't be the issue; it'd be the same as playing half one step to the centres' left or right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Pablo
  • mitch222
  • Midean
  • Fatboy
  • marw
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.