POST GAME Round 17 - Broncos vs Storm

If hunt can hardly hold his load for an nrl game how is he gonna handle origin?

My opinion, we were not up to the task. Our back line was disjointed and without direction. Our forwards were out enthused and out muscled.
The team really missed Boyds organisation, numerous times a defensive man short on the left side of the ruck is a strong indication of this.

Surely it would make more sense for the Origin audition to be against Maloney and Pearce?

He won't be playing against Smith, Cronk and Slater. He will be playing with them.

If we were playing roosters or sharks a week out from origin selection, yes...

If we were playing roosters or sharks a week out from origin selection, yes...

So not really sure why people would consider last night to be an Origin audtion.

If Hunt was playing with Smith, Cronk and Slater last night it would have been a much different performance from him instead of the mixed bag we got.

People don't need to worry anyway, he isn't playing in the halves. If he does play it will be to replace Morgan on the bench. It's quite clear he isn't a controlling half so take that responsibility away from him and just tell him to run, we will see a better performance from him.

So not really sure why people would consider last night to be an Origin audtion.

If Hunt was playing with Smith, Cronk and Slater last night it would have been a much different performance from him instead of the mixed bag we got.

People don't need to worry anyway, he isn't playing in the halves. If he does play it will be to replace Morgan on the bench. It's quite clear he isn't a controlling half so take that responsibility away from him and just tell him to run, we will see a better performance from him.

It was a chance for Hunt to put his foot in the door with a strong performance. If he got picked after that it would certainly be weird.

It wasn't an audition for origin , more like a contested training run for the big three and their Qld storm associates.

A convincing hit out for what is the core of the Qld team.

There were a few things that cost us that game. I think the tactics of shifting the point of attack were right, but the execution was terrible. Add to that Maguire leaving early and thaiday having a shocker, and then there was our defence out wide.
Changes can mean the occasional error, but I saw some diabolical attempts at tackling. One of them was from moga, the biggest centre out there was hand grabbing, marshal's defence was ordinary (but it always has been), and the defenders need to compensate for it. Add to that some pretty ordinary passing from our halves (admittedly always under pressure from no go forward, a reasonable excuse), and our goose was cooked.
What needs to change? For a start, our halves are not good under pressure, none of them. Set our backline a lot deeper. We have 3 genuine speedsters back there in Roberts, mead and Pearson. Second, encourage our younger forwards to use their skill. It was only our older players trying offloads, and they were getting picked off. Have the halves, glen, gillet, Roberts etc. give some support. Note: this might not have helped last night, but too many chances of 2nd phase play died because not a single bronco was anywhere near the player offloading. Some were intercepted and made matters worse, but you can't win against the storm playing safety first.
Finally make sure everyone (halves especially) know how to defend and make sure they train defensively in slide defence. Getting run over as a halve on the line, or giving away an offload is to be expected, but to not slide and rush in, or be caught with your player on the outside is terrible.
Above all, more composure would be nice, but even the best coach can't teach that, its either there or it isnt, and maturity and practice can go some way but not all.

I was always worried with Moga in this game defensively. I just don't think he is too bright up top. The Storm run set plays better than anyone and you could see Moga's eyes rolling around in his head wondering who to take.

Some really poor reads from both our sets of wingers and centres in this game.

G
Remind me again how it's Hunts fault we let all those tries down the opposite side of the field? He threw a shit pass at the end when we were already thoroughly beaten.
Got to blame somebody, as average as he was, BHQ love to rip into him. Roberts ad Moga were shithouse.

G

Got to blame somebody, as average as he was, BHQ love to rip into him. Roberts ad Moga were shithouse.

If only the last pass from Hunt was his only blemish.

There were plenty of other poor performances on the night, but for somebody who plays in such a vital position, Ben Hunt showed very little wherewithal and was guilty of making the exact same mistakes as he always does.

Hunt was in a position to regain control of the match and constantly let the team down with poor kicks, poor defence and poor passes.

If only the last pass from Hunt was his only blemish.

There were plenty of other poor performances on the night, but for somebody who plays in such a vital position, Ben Hunt showed very little wherewithal and was guilty of making the exact same mistakes as he always does.

Hunt was in a position to regain control of the match and constantly let the team down with poor kicks, poor defence and poor passes.
This hunt/knik bashing is getting a little repetitive. Has anyone noticed, unless we are playing a weaker team, atleast one if not both our halves look ordinary.
I have I did not agree with hunts dropping. Then with the decision made, I stated the preference to stick with knik. Now hunt is back, after one game the knives are out once more.
A half needs time to gel with his half partner, let alone the rest of the team. Never mind the whole team wasn't anywhere near parr.
They need time and self-confidence to back themselves. Chopping and changing will only lead to more of the kind of mistakes hunt made, whether its him, knik or marshal.
We need to look more holistically when looking at who plays halves. Lots of things go into whether they play "well" or badly, and there's a fair bit they don't have control over.

This hunt/knik bashing is getting a little repetitive. Has anyone noticed, unless we are playing a weaker team, atleast one if not both our halves look ordinary.
I have I did not agree with hunts dropping. Then with the decision made, I stated the preference to stick with knik. Now hunt is back, after one game the knives are out once more.
A half needs time to gel with his half partner, let alone the rest of the team. Never mind the whole team wasn't anywhere near parr.
They need time and self-confidence to back themselves. Chopping and changing will only lead to more of the kind of mistakes hunt made, whether its him, knik or marshal.
We need to look more holistically when looking at who plays halves. Lots of things go into whether they play "well" or badly, and there's a fair bit they don't have control over.

Sorry mate but this is the NRL and getting down to the business end of the season. We don't have time to be holistic about anything, what we need is people to be preforming. Their getting paid to preform this isn't under 10s, we ain't here to nurture were here to win premierships. Hunt gets brought up on here a lot because there are facets of his game that deserve criticism, he has also signed a 5 million contract which puts even more focus on his efforts. Knick is young and his experience limited so he is going to be in and out of games so there is nothing wrong with talking about him, and Benji is a seasoned half with a scratchy form record who I think is playing well, but he also was not his best the other night. The combo that worked is half injured, Milf and Knick, that was working. They may not be able to control everything but they can sure as heck influence and guide the team, Hunt is a terrible game manager and when we should of settled things down the other night we didn't. Our defense was shit and our attack ordinary. The errors cost us big at the end of the day and in my opinion Thaiday should be dropped, he should be dropped for his unacceptable weight, his unacceptable defense and his unacceptable ball security. Hunt can either ride pine, pull his finger out or go back to the jets.

Sorry mate but this is the NRL and getting down to the business end of the season. We don't have time to be holistic about anything, what we need is people to be preforming. Their getting paid to preform this isn't under 10s, we ain't here to nurture were here to win premierships. Hunt gets brought up on here a lot because there are facets of his game that deserve criticism, he has also signed a 5 million contract which puts even more focus on his efforts. Knick is young and his experience limited so he is going to be in and out of games so there is nothing wrong with talking about him, and Benji is a seasoned half with a scratchy form record who I think is playing well, but he also was not his best the other night. The combo that worked is half injured, Milf and Knick, that was working. They may not be able to control everything but they can sure as heck influence and guide the team, Hunt is a terrible game manager and when we should of settled things down the other night we didn't. Our defense was shit and our attack ordinary. The errors cost us big at the end of the day and in my opinion Thaiday should be dropped, he should be dropped for his unacceptable weight, his unacceptable defense and his unacceptable ball security. Hunt can either ride pine, pull his finger out or go back to the jets.
Marshal brought up his previous team, the dragons that gave him 19 half pairincss. Chopping and changing game to game won't win you a premiership, anymore than sticking with a broken model.
You drop hunt today. The timing on his passes and kicks is different to kniks. The players set themselves to accommodate. Next week he's back, with a new halves partner. They change their runs, accordingly. Come crunch time in games you need muscle memory to let u do things, and guess what you're too deep or you've overrun the pass, you're offside with the grubber. Changing a half week to week will doom a team to a pale imitation of what it could be. Look at the storm. Every player knows the place to be by heart. We're not into set plays, but our players are running half-hearted in every one of them. Just changing wingers stuffs up our defence, but that was unavoidable. This doesn't need to happen to our halves. One half needs to be picked from here to season end. I don't care who so much as they do it and stick with it, or they may as well get ready for next year.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • upthebroncs
  • Sproj
  • Swordfish
  • johnny plath
  • Redfern_1980
  • cento
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.