Round 17 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
...*shrug*.

I'd rather Milford.

Honestly don't feel envious of any club.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
...*shrug*.

I'd rather Milford.

Honestly don't feel envious of any club.

Well if we are talking hypotheticals I would rather locky, but we can't have Milford until next year so in the meantime I would rather see Port pull on the 6 than spudman

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I really rated Adam Reynolds a couple of years ago, he was insanely good in his rookie season.. just hasn't kicked on with it.. yet.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Well, more like he kicked on and nothing else.

True, if he had a better passing and running game he'd probably be first choice NSW halfback, he's still really young.. plenty of time to develop it.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
True, if he had a better passing and running game he'd probably be first choice NSW halfback, he's still really young.. plenty of time to develop it.
I don't think he has it in him... he is very good at the set stuff and organises his team well, but there isn't much creativity or vision in him. He's a younger version of Peter Wallace with better kicking accuracy.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I don't think he has it in him... he is very good at the set stuff and organises his team well, but there isn't much creativity or vision in him. He's a younger version of Peter Wallace with better kicking accuracy.

So in other words, a useful version!

I see Peter Wallace as the worst Reynolds can achieve and Brent Sherwin as the best he can achieve. He's a very limited player but what he does well has tremendous benefit. Would be keen to see what he and Keary can offer as Sutton is getting on and I don't know if Sutton is creative enough to work effectively with Reynolds to the point they can win a premiership.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I don't think that's fair on Wallace.
Just because he wasn't capable of delivering us the needed creativity under griffinball, doesn't make him a bad organising half. Reynolds wouldn't have fared any better imo!
And Pete's kicking game is pretty good, albeit not as good as Reynolds, but the latter's defense is not as good as the former either... I don't see much difference between them really.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
Good defence is not a halfback's job. He needs to not be a liability but honestly you don't get extra points for being above competent. All of Wallace, Reynolds and Sherwin are/were good organisers. Wallace doesn't really add anything beyond that though whereas Sherwin's pin point kicking game added a lot of points to the Dogs team. Reynolds has that potential too, but if he doesn't keep it up he'll only ever be a good organiser. Which is true of Wallace right now. I stand by sliding scale.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
I know it's not their "job", but it's added value when you don't have to worry any backrower or centre worth his grain will just trample your halfback (hello Sandow).

But my point was that albeit not as accurate, Wallace's kicking really isn't that bad, and if you have the right guys around him, he's a very good halfback to have. Wallace with the current Hunt + Barba or Milford at fullback would be excellent!

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I can definitely see the Sherwin comparison with Reynolds. Great short distance kicking games but not a whole lot else to offer.

I fail to see the comparison with Wallace other than the fact they're both destined to be fringe representative players who may have jagged a jersey here or there. Thinking on my feet, the only apt comparison I can think of for Wallace is Brett Finch. Both had their good days and bad days, both caught the ire of their respective fan-bases, both moved on and sort of redeemed themselves at different clubs.

I don't think it's so much Wallace's defence that made him an asset, just his ability to read a game and place himself in the right places at the right time. He's a competitive player and at times, Reynolds just seems to stick to his game like a robot.

In saying all that, I'm still glad we moved Wallace on when we did.

Last edited:
Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I know it's not their "job", but it's added value when you don't have to worry any backrower or centre worth his grain will just trample your halfback (hello Sandow).

But my point was that albeit not as accurate, Wallace's kicking really isn't that bad, and if you have the right guys around him, he's a very good halfback to have. Wallace with the current Hunt + Barba or Milford at fullback would be excellent!

Wallace would be handy to have around. My comment, whilst a slight dig at Wallace because I don't really like him, is also a commentary on Reynold's ability. Given the level he has, I don't think he'll end up being a worse halfback than Wallace. What Wallace offers I think Reynolds does too (sans defence). His kicking is much better than "really isn't that bad" and having him in our team with those guys around him would be more excellent!

However, my comparison was also meant to show that there's not a lot of room for improvement with Reynolds either, and that Sherwin is the best he can be.

Perhaps he should consider union. He's basically Jonny Wilkinson!

Last edited:
J

Je$ter

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Yeah ....pushed the point too far by adding Douglas.

Matulino and Moa should be added to that list.

Yeah probably did a bit haha.

Watching any origin game this year proves how far behind he is from the best - aka Scott.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Lozza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Jedhead
  • Manofoneway
  • Redux
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
  • I bleed Maroon
  • OzeMike
  • scobie
  • MrMoore
  • Harry Sack
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.