Round 17 - Storm vs. Broncos - Post Match Discussion

I find it hard to hate Maranta. Sure, he's been horrible on the wing. But he seems like he has heart, and his whole family being a big part of the Broncos just makes me want him to succeed. I think he still can, but he's clearly far from ready.
I think he could serve us much better at fullback.

I think he could serve us much better at fullback.

.... in Qld Cup, yes.

If he has it in him, which many believe, and I want to believe, he has had ample time to prove and show it. As someone rightly observed, he can't sniff a try if it had dog shit on it

I just watched the Storm game again, and in all honesty, we were the better team until the 62nd minute, when Hoffman had that unbelievable bounce of the ball go out and the Storm scored out of that repeat set. The fatigue of a second match in 5 days in the legs and this unfair punishment was enough, and the boys' spirits broke... And I frankly cannot blame them for that after the 140 minutes of footy they played, because we were the better team against the Warriors as well.

There is no denying the ladder and results, but we do make ourselves (me first) guilty of looking too much at the scoreboard when evaluating performances. This game is the perfect example.
Until the 24-0, the better team was Brisbane, and we played some fucking brilliant footy too, the combinations on the right that brought those chances for Maranta and Gillett, were absolutely fantastic pieces of play. We created chance after chance and the only thing we didn't do was put the ball on the grass (well, we did at least one time, but were denied by the ref.). We defended pretty well too until then, even if the first try is a disgrace and the second could have been avoided. Most missed tackles came in that last 20 minutes...

I know the whole idea is to put the ball on the grass, and the Storm's defence deserves credit for their scrambling, but I cannot believe how everything went their way, and I mean everything!

I really feel for the boys, that must have been absolutely gutting.

What you say is largely true, but there is no escaping the fact that our marker defence was appalling - Thaiday and Macca on their first try, and generally giving Smith too much room all game to set up plays, and of course, Maranta's 3 contributions to their score.

The Storm's first and last tries should never have scored: lazy marker defence - fatal with Smith at dummy half (there were 2 markers) on the 1st (after 2.5 minutes), and, incredibly poor reading of the play on the last: there was at least 5 metres between our defensive line which was flat footed, and Finch I think, who saw the yawning gap out wide with Maranta standing back - they had 4 on 2, threw the obvious pass that gave that 2 man advantage all the time in the world to score.

Both our marker defence and lack of creative play in and around the rucks seriously amplified the undoubted wear and tear on our boys.

Last edited:
Yeah absolutely mate, well said. It's all part of being a fan to feel like total **** after a loss and even worse after the season and a half the Broncos have delivered. If people can't vent their frustration in a fan forum then where do they do it?

Exactly. I'd rather see fans blow up than "awwwww, what a shame, you'll win next week boys, go da Bronx!" like pathetic little sycophants.

Of course we'll still be on the edge of our seats riding home a hopeful win next week, but it doesn't mean we're not fucking angry at the useless twats right now.

I just watched the Storm game again, and in all honesty, we were the better team until the 62nd minute, when Hoffman had that unbelievable bounce of the ball go out and the Storm scored out of that repeat set. The fatigue of a second match in 5 days in the legs and this unfair punishment was enough, and the boys' spirits broke... And I frankly cannot blame them for that after the 140 minutes of footy they played, because we were the better team against the Warriors as well.

There is no denying the ladder and results, but we do make ourselves (me first) guilty of looking too much at the scoreboard when evaluating performances. This game is the perfect example.
Until the 24-0, the better team was Brisbane, and we played some fucking brilliant footy too, the combinations on the right that brought those chances for Maranta and Gillett, were absolutely fantastic pieces of play. We created chance after chance and the only thing we didn't do was put the ball on the grass (well, we did at least one time, but were denied by the ref.). We defended pretty well too until then, even if the first try is a disgrace and the second could have been avoided. Most missed tackles came in that last 20 minutes...

I know the whole idea is to put the ball on the grass, and the Storm's defence deserves credit for their scrambling, but I cannot believe how everything went their way, and I mean everything!

I really feel for the boys, that must have been absolutely gutting.

I think our excellent completion rates, low error counts and discipline in not giving away stupid penalties often gives the impression that we seem to be the better team, especially until the score blows out. Some of our attack also looks the goods at times but i think that is because we have so many damn chances at the opposition, and the emergence of Hoffman on the wing :)

I agree that any bounce of the ball or good fortune went Storms way this game but i think psychologically when you are down like us those really stand out and stick in our mind. Kinda like how traffic always seems worse when you are running late kind of thing.

What you say is largely true, but there is no escaping the fact that our marker defence was appalling - Thaiday and Macca on their first try, and generally giving Smith too much room all game to set up plays, and of course, Maranta's 3 contributions to their score.

The Storm's first and last tries should never have scored: lazy marker defence - fatal with Smith at dummy half (there were 2 markers) on the 1st (after 2.5 minutes), and, incredibly poor reading of the play on the last: there was at least 5 metres between our defensive line which was flat footed, and Finch I think, who saw the yawning gap out wide with Maranta standing back - they had 4 on 2, threw the obvious pass that gave that 2 man advantage all the time in the world to score.

Both our marker defence and lack of creative play in and around the rucks seriously amplified the undoubted wear and tear on our boys.
No doubt the defence, especially the markers, were a disgrace on that first try, but we also have to give credit where it's due. There's reason Smith is the best player in the world (imo). He is a master at steering his team around and sniffing the other team's weaknesses.
As to Maranta... sigh

People want someone to blame, so they come out with the "our attack is crap bullshit", even though we created (yes I did say the word CREATED) enough chances to be up by 2 tries after 60 minutes.
We have scored more tries than Manly or our next opponent, who are respectively 4th and 5th on the ladder. Our attack is not even close to our biggest problem!

We've had a bad patch between the loss in Parramatta and the Warriors at home, where the discipline and commitment failed, but we've been nothing short of jinxed since... :glare:

I know I'm almost alone in this, but I think we're much closer to turning things around than people think.

Having said that, I'm well aware of our deficiencies, and I'm in no way saying we're going to suddenly become a premiership threat... :001_rolleyes:

We could complete 100% of our sets and still not score enough points. I don't care how good our completions are, our team lacks any attacking talent, structure, instinct or plan.

Agree, to an extent.

My point was that our completion and error rates can artificially keep us competitive, especially for the first 40-60 mins.

I dont fully share Porthoz opinion that we are close to turning the games around but i appreciate how he arrives at it.

Agree, to an extent.

My point was that our completion and error rates can artificially keep us competitive, especially for the first 40-60 mins.

I dont fully share Porthoz opinion that we are close to turning the games around but i appreciate how he arrives at it.
No one, including Cameron Smith (yesterday on the Sunday Footy Show), could believe how it was possible the Broncos didn't score not one, but several tries, and the score did not even closely reflect what happened on the field.

I have no excuses for quite a few of this team's performances, and I don't believe we are a premiership threat without adjustments, like a fullback to **** Norman off, a creative halve to replace Prince, any winger to replace Maranta, and a coach capable of getting the best out of the players, but I do believe we are much better than our ladder position indicates...

No one, including Cameron Smith (yesterday on the Sunday Footy Show), could believe how it was possible the Broncos didn't score not one, but several tries, and the score did not even closely reflect what happened on the field.

I have no excuses for quite a few of this team's performances, and I don't believe we are a premiership threat without adjustments, like a fullback to **** Norman off, a creative halve to replace Prince, any winger to replace Maranta, and a coach capable of getting the best out of the players, but I do believe we are much better than our ladder position indicates...

Maranta was completely devoid of confidence after the first missed effort.

It's like Fernando Torres when he first transferred to Chelsea a couple of seasons ago.

The problem for Maranta was evident in the Souths game as well and a couple of other times this season.

Wingers either do or don't know how to finish. See McManus' try yesterday afternoon? That's a finisher in form. 2 metres of sideline to work with, fullback has him covered on the inside, he still manages to get low, use his size and score inside the shoulder of Barba.

Folau was perfect at it as well.

SO IS DENAN FUCKING KEMP

100% agree on the changes you mention.

Ladder position not so much, start of the year along with the tipping comp we write down our 1-16 teams, i had Broncos in 12th spot, just didnt think we were a top 8 team, but lets agree to disagree. :thumbup1:

Re storm game, score probably should have been 32-22 but to me it doesnt change anything.

100% agree on the changes you mention.

Ladder position not so much, start of the year along with the tipping comp we write down our 1-16 teams, i had Broncos in 12th spot, just didnt think we were a top 8 team, but lets agree to disagree. :thumbup1:

Re storm game, score probably should have been 32-22 but to me it doesnt change anything.
After 61 minutes, score should've been 18-30 (if the tries Hoffman, Gillett and Maranta (x3) should have scored, were converted). After that, fatigue may have set in and the Storm might have taken the game, but I doubt it, as the boys mindset would've been totally different...

Last edited:
After 61 minutes, score should've been 18-30 (if the tries Hoffman, Gillett and Maranta (x3) should have scored, were converted). After that, fatigue may have set in and the Storm might have taken the game, but I doubt it, as the boys mindset would've been totally different...

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I'm sure Storm supporters could watch the game and see missed opportunities in the first 61mins as well.

Anyway, pointless arguing about what didnt happen. I could argue that if Broncos scored the first 2 try's the Storm could have lifted there intensity and we may have not got near the try line again. Too many vriables to account for, not as simple as saying the game would have run exactly the same way if we had have scored.

Shoulda, woulda, coulda. I'm sure Storm supporters could watch the game and see missed opportunities in the first 61mins as well.

Anyway, pointless arguing about what didnt happen. I could argue that if Broncos scored the first 2 try's the Storm could have lifted there intensity and we may have not got near the try line again. Too many vriables to account for, not as simple as saying the game would have run exactly the same way if we had have scored.
Of course, this is all hypothetical, as we can't say what would've really happened had Hoffman scored our first clear chance. The game could've finished 6-4 for all we know, but I was just countering your view about what the score SHOULD have been the way the game was played, especially until the 62nd minute.
I'm merely arguing the fact that we created absolute clear chances to score 30 pts against one of the benchmark teams in the competition, and I'm not even counting the 2 chances Norman butchered by going himself...

Of course, this is all hypothetical, as we can't say what would've really happened had Hoffman scored our first clear chance. The game could've finished 6-4 for all we know, but I was just countering your view about what the score SHOULD have been the way the game was played, especially until the 62nd minute.
I'm merely arguing the fact that we created absolute clear chances to score 30 pts against one of the benchmark teams in the competition, and I'm not even counting the 2 chances Norman butchered by going himself...

No probs, i shouldnt have said the score should have been 32-22. I was merely saying give us as many points as you want, it doesnt change MY view on the game.

Was it my eyes playing tricks or did anybody else see Hodges slot into a half or 5/8 on a couple of occasions on Friday night?

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • bb_gun
  • Skyblues87
  • winslow_wong
  • The Don
  • Battler
  • Fitzy
  • NSW stables
  • Old Mate
  • BruiserMk1
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Robboi_321
  • Mr Fourex
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.