[Round 18, 2021] Broncos vs Tigers

Flegler wasn't charged for his high shot

I just realised how unclear I was in the final part of my post 🤦‍♂️

I meant has there been a worse captain than either of them at any other club the last decade?
Both terrible really but even then Boyd at least had a claim to be a leader having done it all. Only thing Glenn has achieved is a one more set meme.

If I look at the game I can pin point a couple moment early in the second half that killed us:

- Riki high shot on 4th tackle to give Tigers field position for the first try

- Linebreak on tackle 2 of the very next set after the try. This has a few factors.
> First... poor tackle technique to allow Nofo to get a quick ptb on tackle 1 of a kick off set.
> Second.. an inability to realise a quick ptb was on offer and to shut it down by breaking up the play through conceding of a six again.
> Third ... Riki not realising he should tackle the dummy half after the quick ptb and concede a six again (instead of running backwards and conceding a linebreak)
> Fourth... inability to slow the ruck down to a crawl after the linebreak and concede a six again. Wouldnt suggest to do it on the tackle after the linebreak as that risks a professional foul; however on the tackle 1-2 after tigers ran a pretty meek play and Haas was in a dominant position and could've laid all over them to concede six again.
Following the tackle where Haas got off at lightning speed I checked over to the left and Herbie (I believe) was still getting back the 10m, so we had a disjointed defensive line and conceded a try off a simple block play.

In the above situation good defensive teams would recognize the quick ptb and concede a six again instantly instead of allowing the line break... because there is zero repercussions for giving away blatant penalties nowadays

This says to me that either our defensive coach is shit and hasn't adapted to the new modern style of defense OR the players are too stupid to recognise that they should've conceded a six again on 3 different occasions in the one set of six.

After the above occurred we went from leading by 8 to down by 2 within 10mins of the 2nd half... and suddenly we were dragged into a shootout.

If I look at the game I can pin point a couple moment early in the second half that killed us:

- Riki high shot on 4th tackle to give Tigers field position for the first try

- Linebreak on tackle 2 of the very next set after the try. This has a few factors.
> First... poor tackle technique to allow Nofo to get a quick ptb on tackle 1 of a kick off set.
> Second.. an inability to realise a quick ptb was on offer and to shut it down by breaking up the play through conceding of a six again.
> Third ... Riki not realising he should tackle the dummy half after the quick ptb and concede a six again (instead of running backwards and conceding a linebreak)
> Fourth... inability to slow the ruck down to a crawl after the linebreak and concede a six again. Wouldnt suggest to do it on the tackle after the linebreak as that risks a professional foul; however on the tackle 1-2 after tigers ran a pretty meek play and Haas was in a dominant position and could've laid all over them to concede six again.
Following the tackle where Haas got off at lightning speed I checked over to the left and Herbie (I believe) was still getting back the 10m, so we had a disjointed defensive line and conceded a try off a simple block play.

In the above situation good defensive teams would recognize the quick ptb and concede a six again instantly instead of allowing the line break... because there is zero repercussions for giving away blatant penalties nowadays

This says to me that either our defensive coach is shit and hasn't adapted to the new modern style of defense OR the players are too stupid to recognise that they should've conceded a six again on 3 different occasions in the one set of six.

After the above occurred we went from leading by 8 to down by 2 within 10mins of the 2nd half... and suddenly we were dragged into a shootout.
But but but but you didn't mention anywhere Croft letting in 5 tries !

Seriously though, I'm going to watch a replay and try and see where we went wrong. I know at the time I didn't think it was all Isaako and Croft's fault but I'll stay open minded. I'm certain they both could have done better( like several others)

I just watched all the tries from the first half of this game. I also saw Isaako's shit kick off. One poster claimed it led to the Tigers scoring. Nope. In fact, the Tigers didn't score again during the half and had five more possessions after it! It had no bearing whatsoever on the outcome of the match yet it's been magnified beyond belief! Now, on to the second half.

Wests first try of the second half, 100% on Farnworth. Zero blame for Croft and he didn't shoot out of the line. Only reason we were even in that position was a high shot by Riki. Those two are the blame for that try.

Second try 100% Farnworth ( again ) Failed to get back onside even though he had ample opportunity. Zero blame for Glenn, Croft or Oates.

Third try. Hetherington and Glenn not paying attention and covering the inside. Zero blame on Croft. Oates came in, no faith in Farnworth .

Fourth try. Glenn and Farnworth failed to move up. Croft put pressure on the kicker, failure was on Oates, Glenn, Farnworth and Nui, inability to cleanup. Croft did what every single player was instructed to do, put pressure on the kicker on the fifth.
Again, no blame for Croft.

Fifth try. Isaako failed to take the ball in an aerial contest. Maumalo's forward pass ignored. 100% Isaako.

Sixth and final try. Too big too strong for Turpin.

Zero blame for Croft in any of the second half tries.

Disagree? Provide video evidence.

Wests first try of the second half, 100% on Farnworth. Zero blame for Croft and he didn't shoot out of the line. Only reason we were even in that position was a high shot by Riki. Those two are the blame for that try.

Second try 100% Farnworth ( again ) Failed to get back onside even though he had ample opportunity. Zero blame for Glenn, Croft or Oates.

Third try. Hetherington and Glenn not paying attention and covering the inside. Zero blame on Croft. Oates came in, no faith in Farnworth .

Fourth try. Glenn and Farnworth failed to move up. Croft put pressure on the kicker, failure was on Oates, Glenn, Farnworth and Nui, inability to cleanup. Croft did what every single player was instructed to do, put pressure on the kicker on the fifth.
Again, no blame for Croft.

Fifth try. Isaako failed to take the ball in an aerial contest. Maumalo's forward pass ignored. 100% Isaako.

Sixth and final try. Too big too strong for Turpin.

Zero blame for Croft in any of the second half tries.

Disagree? Provide video evidence.
Huge in the first try of the second half he did shoot out of the line. The ref’s even called him out for being offside and he was not able to attempt a tackle because of this. I haven’t watched any further than this but this stuck out like dog’s balls to me.

Having watched further I can apportion some of the blame of on or two other tries too, not that he was solely to blame. Nothing worth getting into an argument over though.

Huge in the first try of the second half he did shoot out of the line. The ref’s even called him out for being offside and he was not able to attempt a tackle because of this. I haven’t watched any further than this but this stuck out like dog’s balls to me.

True,he was called offside HOWEVER he didn't need to make a tackle and the ball continued out towards the wing. Had the player run at Croft no doubt Croft would have made a regulation tackle and conceded 6 again. It was only second tackle. That was the ONE and only time he shot out and the rest of the defence line came up either side of him within a second or two. It was 100% on Farnworth. Old mate simply ran round him.

Having watched further I can apportion some of the blame of on or two other tries too, not that he was solely to blame. Nothing worth getting into an argument over though.
Not arguing but which other try? Also, it's pretty obvious that Croft did not 'let in five tries'. No one on here can prove it with video evidence. It's plain and classic bhq scapegoating. Farnworth should be docked his pay for July. He was terrible but doesn't get mentioned.

Not arguing but which other try? Also, it's pretty obvious that Croft did not 'let in five tries'. No one on here can prove it with video evidence. It's plain and classic bhq scapegoating. Farnworth should be docked his pay for July. He was terrible but doesn't get mentioned.
I thought the second try after halftime he left a bit too much room on his inside and when ball carrier jagged back in he got sucked back to the middle through necessity as he had shot out of the line again, meanwhile try is scored on the outside.

Can’t blame him for the one where he pressured the kicker but he does seem to shoot out of the line a bit. Perhaps it has become a telegraphed play and he needs to put it away for a while.

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Brocko
  • Manlyman
  • Morkel
  • Mick_Hancock
  • BroncoFan94
  • Santa
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • The Don
  • Johnny92
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gympie devil
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Lurker
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.