Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Surprisingly not being held isn't relevant. Once you ground, you can't make another effort to ground, unless your body is already moving forward. It's strictly about momentum.

Annesley explains exactly that here:

Hit the ground with out a hand on you .
Ball is still alive . You can get up and go again .

One weird rule - after you are tackled . If you touch the side line as you get to your feet it doesn`t matter because the ball is dead . Once the ball is heeled it is alive again .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Remembering that this one among many others has been given a try

Dearden stopped short and tackled, ball arm clearly grounded well short and a deliberate second movement of the arm to promote the ball to the ingoal... but that's all good apparently

Tackler pushed him over .

No dbl movement .

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
On this point and the Hosking call, I am not saying the no try wasn't harsh as others like it are sometimes given but this is the problem with the NRL in general, no consistency. The call for the Hosking no try IS the right one, he did a textbook double movement, intent does not matter. This should be the case no matter what happens once the ball hits the ground while you are held under the current rules. The issue is when the idiot video refs decide to see things no one else sees and bring in different interpretations. The rule should be an absolute no brainer to implement. You move the arm after it touches the ground in an extending motion, regardless of intent and it isn't because of momentum, you are done, no try.

How about promoting the ball by walking off the mark ?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I've just seen the Hosking one again and half his body ends up in the ingoal so he had momentum regardless of whether the ball touched the ground anyway... so any promotion of the ball doesn't come into it anyway

Annersley disagrees with you

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
That is true, that's the only exception though, if the ball would have ended up over the line even if they didn't move their arm, it'd be a try even if they did promote the ball.

I've never liked double movement as a rule, I think if you can reach out you should be allowed to reach out and score but I'm sure there's a good reason, or maybe it was a knee jerk rule change back in the day and somethings never change.
I've said exactly the same thing mate, if you can reach out and ground the ball, it's a try.
Takes away interpretation and ambiguity.

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
The flip side ?
Ball is in goal the player grounds the ball in a tackle behind the try line . Then reaches out to place it in the field of play .
No penalty . Line drop out . Still promoted the ball after it was dead , but no penalty ?

Now Ezra , there is a man who knows the rules .
1st game he played . Just 5 metres out . Gets tackled around the legs . Deliberately threw his body on to the opposite side to the ball carrying arm . Lands on the ground on his left side . Kept his right arm off the ground . Then threw a flick pass back to Billy who scored .

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
That is true, that's the only exception though, if the ball would have ended up over the line even if they didn't move their arm, it'd be a try even if they did promote the ball.

I've never liked double movement as a rule, I think if you can reach out you should be allowed to reach out and score but I'm sure there's a good reason, or maybe it was a knee jerk rule change back in the day and somethings never change.
It's definitely a shit rule, given that no one here can agree on it even having read the actual rules. It also doesn't feel right, and that's even more important.

Other shit rules:

Incorrect play the ball: just do it again. Shit happens.
Deliberate forward pass: no one ever means to pass forward. Just hand it over. It's not a penalty.
Two on one strip: give the ball back and get on with it.

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I think the blanket shoulder charge ban is a shit rule.

If you get them in the head, off and min 4 weeks suspended. Otherwise should be play on. What's wrong with rocking someone off balance with a massive shoulder?

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I think the blanket shoulder charge ban is a shit rule.

If you get them in the head, off and min 4 weeks suspended. Otherwise should be play on. What's wrong with rocking someone off balance with a massive shoulder?

Yep - the level of impact when you compare a normal shoulder charge, to one where someone has hit the attacker with their shoulder and made a token effort to 'wrap their arm around the ball-player' surely isn't that different.

Harry Sack

Harry Sack

International Rep
Forum Staff
Jun 12, 2013
It's definitely a shit rule, given that no one here can agree on it even having read the actual rules. It also doesn't feel right, and that's even more important.

Other shit rules:

Deliberate forward pass: no one ever means to pass forward. Just hand it over. It's not a penalty.
I've never actually understood why it's a penalty if you kick it out on the full from a kick off.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017

Other shit rules:

How about the supposed voluntary tackle rule that is never enforced?

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
How about the supposed voluntary tackle rule that is never enforced?

the thing with the voluntary tackle is that the vast majority of times, when a player makes a voluntary tackle (usually because they are trying to get out of the ingoal or stay away from the touch line) the defender puts a hand on them, thus completing a tackle.

what the defender should do is wait ... that way either the player is penalised for a voluntary tackle, or they get to their feet and are pushed into touch/in goal area

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
the thing with the voluntary tackle is that the vast majority of times, when a player makes a voluntary tackle (usually because they are trying to get out of the ingoal or stay away from the touch line) the defender puts a hand on them, thus completing a tackle.

what the defender should do is wait ... that way either the player is penalised for a voluntary tackle, or they get to their feet and are pushed into touch/in goal area
Most of those, the player is diving for the field of play so the opposition can't get under him and drive him back, and most times, they also get smashed in the process....not too worried about that one.

The one I hate is where they run around their team mate, therefor obstruction, then hit the deck because they have realised they made a mistake and basically get away with 2 penalties (obstruction and voluntary tackle). I've also seen defenders stand there without laying a hand on the player, looking at the ref and it's never called.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013

Good idea in theory, the only problem is that when that does happen, the ref always blows a penalty which they shouldn’t but do.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Most of those, the player is diving for the field of play so the opposition can't get under him and drive him back, and most times, they also get smashed in the process....not too worried about that one.

The one I hate is where they run around their team mate, therefor obstruction, then hit the deck because they have realised they made a mistake and basically get away with 2 penalties (obstruction and voluntary tackle). I've also seen defenders stand there without laying a hand on the player, looking at the ref and it's never called.
I actually really like that rule where the attacker realises there has been an obstruction and takes a knee. I like the fact it’s play on.

Active Now

• Galco
  • Morkel
  • Jedhead
  • BroncosMan
  • Rambstien
  • LittleDavey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Aldo
  • Brocko
  • bazza
  • Cavalo
  • Behind enemy lines
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • Manofoneway
  • Sproj
  • Jazza
  • Culhwch
  • winslow_wong
  • TwoLeftFeet
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.