Night
20:00

Panthers

Team Lists

leon.bott

leon.bott

NYC Player
Nov 16, 2017
I think it could be a byproduct from back in the mid-2000's when Wayne basically renounced wrestling in the game and didnt really want to be a part of it... we have wrestling coaches and whatnot now, but I doubt we are dedicating as much time to it as a team like the storm do... so I feel like we've been playing catch up on modern football, but then not really trying to catch up either.

The Reynolds stuff to me is about football intelligence across the squad... which I think we've lacked for so long now that I wouldnt even be able to point out a time when we had it... other than "Lockyer days"... did we have it during the Pwall days?? (not sure)... but 2015/16 was heads up footy through Bhunt and Milf, so we didnt have it then.

Seibold picked up a spoon because the squad didnt understand what he was talking about, Reynolds had to come in and teach them fundamentals and Kevvie in 2021 had to strip things all the way back to basics.

In terms of fundamentals we're uneducated as a team, but have been for a long time so this isnt a Kevvie thing... it seems we pick the biggest and the fastest... rather than the smartest.

The best teams in the comp are the ones that cheat the most on the field... there's no point having your head in the sand trying to be saints on the field when the officiating doesnt reward that style of play and havent for a loooong fucking time now.

Good teams know when they've lost the ruck and concede a blatant penalty to reset their line rather than concede a quick ptb... Broncos seem to double down by somehow conceding a six again whilst also conceding a quick ptb.

Teams know when their defence is shot on their goal line and shoot out offside to stop a try, because you may or may not be penalised by the ref so that's always better than conceding a try.
Agree across the board. Which is why I think when we put it together we can catch fire for parts of a game, but can just as quickly have momentum completely reverse more than just about any team. Even last year we’d get hot for 20 minutes in a game but never ride out the 80 (bar the storm finals game as an anomaly).

The fast tempo gameplan is great when it works and a great spectacle for neutral viewers, but a roller coaster ride for supporter bases. A boring, well drilled style of play just blunts whatever style of officiating is the flavour of the day so much more.

I’m really over our sliding defence that marches the opposition upfield and gives them so much time to work with as well. And the Hail Mary jamming in when defending goal line instead of backing our one on one match ups. Reeks of impatience.

Sorry for the negativity, I’m a supporter through thick and thin, but after so far surpassing my expectations last year I made the mistake of having false optimism in 2024. More fool me I fear

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Tinfoil Hat GIF by The Tick

What if I told you there were three teams on the park at all football matches?

Crazy talk. Next thing you'll tell me is that this "team" is there to tell the other teams what to do, and have the power and ability to influence games. Oh and part of the "team" includes a mystery string-puller in a secret off-site location, and they watch everything, secretly tipping off those on the field to make certain calls, through a covert communication system that the public is not allowed to hear. Spare us, something like that would never be allowed in an elite level professional sport.

H

Howie

Oct 4, 2023
Crazy talk. Next thing you'll tell me is that this "team" is there to tell the other teams what to do, and have the power and ability to influence games. Oh and part of the "team" includes a mystery string-puller in a secret off-site location, and they watch everything, secretly tipping off those on the field to make certain calls, through a covert communication system that the public is not allowed to hear. Spare us, something like that would never be allowed in an elite level professional sport.

Funny that. Watching some of these odes to various personalities of Yankee Chuckball ("A Football Life") on ch74, it appears that back in the '50s there was a chap (Paul Brown) who was doing exactly that with his outfit: observers from vantage points, passing info the head coach who communicated plays and other directions in real time over a dedicated radio channel to the playmaker ("quarterback") on the field who had a built-in receiver in his helmet.

It caused such a kerfuffle that the NFL banned it for well on 40 years, only lifting it in 1994.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012
*Sigh*

Maybe you're right. Maybe I'm talking crazy talk, but every week I go to NRL.com and look at the Team List tab of each match, and there, right at the bottom, is this third team listed. It's really weird.

J

Johnny92

NRL Player
Jul 3, 2021
I think it could be a byproduct from back in the mid-2000's when Wayne basically renounced wrestling in the game and didnt really want to be a part of it... we have wrestling coaches and whatnot now, but I doubt we are dedicating as much time to it as a team like the storm do... so I feel like we've been playing catch up on modern football, but then not really trying to catch up either.

The Reynolds stuff to me is about football intelligence across the squad... which I think we've lacked for so long now that I wouldnt even be able to point out a time when we had it... other than "Lockyer days"... did we have it during the Pwall days?? (not sure)... but 2015/16 was heads up footy through Bhunt and Milf, so we didnt have it then.

Seibold picked up a spoon because the squad didnt understand what he was talking about, Reynolds had to come in and teach them fundamentals and Kevvie in 2021 had to strip things all the way back to basics.

In terms of fundamentals we're uneducated as a team, but have been for a long time so this isnt a Kevvie thing... it seems we pick the biggest and the fastest... rather than the smartest.

The best teams in the comp are the ones that cheat the most on the field... there's no point having your head in the sand trying to be saints on the field when the officiating doesnt reward that style of play and havent for a loooong fucking time now.

Good teams know when they've lost the ruck and concede a blatant penalty to reset their line rather than concede a quick ptb... Broncos seem to double down by somehow conceding a six again whilst also conceding a quick ptb.

Teams know when their defence is shot on their goal line and shoot out offside to stop a try, because you may or may not be penalised by the ref so that's always better than conceding a try.
Too many athletes not enough footy players..
I know Walsh, Carrigan and Reynolds are full blown footy heads watching every game but I wonder who else is our squad is.

B

Brotherdu

NRL Player
Feb 20, 2017
Agree with Oates on the bench, but for Karapani to the wing. Keen to see Mariner show what he can bring at centre where he was so highly touted, combined with how woeful karapani’s defensive positioning was shown to be at centre.
Plus Karapani has been playing the nuggety, yardage role as a winger in Burleigh really well of late. I’d like to see him bring that to our first grade squad which we’ve lacked of late.
Can he catch the ball though? Defence on the left has been pretty terrible in general where he has played, he's only a few games into his career, can't really pin it on him. I'd be prepared to give him a few more. Having said that, I'm assuming Oates plays right wing, with Arthurs back, that is paired with Staggs, so Mariner switches sides as well? Or does Cobbo switch......i'm confused. Let me check the team line up again.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
Warriors game, my optimism didn't even make it 10 mins.
Even without Reynolds, Riki and Staggs that's still a top 8 team on paper.
Something's gotta click soon or the season is done.
At least we know with Oates we'll get some yardage.
I've said it before: hold the ball, line speed, kick chase, support play.
Hopefully the big crowd makes a positive impact and we get an even interpretation of the ruck and 10 m (OK, the last one may be asking too much).
The Panthers have hs beaten in the backs, forwards, Halves and bench. We are in for a long ass night.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
The Panthers have hs beaten in the backs, forwards, Halves and bench. We are in for a long ass night.
We haven't had one for a while but here's my comparison...

1. Edwards (Panthers)... Walsh is an unknown at the moment
2. Turuva (Panthers)
3. Tago (Panthers)
4. Cobbo (Broncos)
5. To'o (Panthers)
6. Ezra (Broncos)
7. Luai (Panthers)
8. JFH/Leota (Panthers)
9. Kenny (Panthers)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Sorrenson (Panthers)
12. Martin (Panthers)
13. Patty (Broncos)

14. Smoothy (Broncos)... can't see Laurie playing much unless there's an injury
15. Willison (Broncos)
16. Henry (Panthers)
17. Taupau (Broncos)

10-7 panthers, but Arthars vs Turuva could be debated and Walsh vs Edwards could be debated pending how Walsh turns up... in saying that Yeo vs Patty is also debatable.

I think the big issue is their backrowers are way way better than ours... Luai is also a more controlling half than anyone we have and is probably more composed than anyone we have in our spine.

I've also got 3 of our 7 sitting on the bench... but the middle is there for the taking if our forwards put their hands up.

Manofoneway

Manofoneway

NRL Player
May 22, 2022
We haven't had one for a while but here's my comparison...

1. Edwards (Panthers)... Walsh is an unknown at the moment
2. Turuva (Panthers)
3. Tago (Panthers)
4. Cobbo (Broncos)
5. To'o (Panthers)
6. Ezra (Broncos)
7. Luai (Panthers)
8. JFH/Leota (Panthers)
9. Kenny (Panthers)
10. Haas (Broncos)
11. Sorrenson (Panthers)
12. Martin (Panthers)
13. Patty (Broncos)

14. Smoothy (Broncos)... can't see Laurie playing much unless there's an injury
15. Willison (Broncos)
16. Henry (Panthers)
17. Taupau (Broncos)

10-7 panthers, but Arthars vs Turuva could be debated and Walsh vs Edwards could be debated pending how Walsh turns up... in saying that Yeo vs Patty is also debatable.

I think the big issue is their backrowers are way way better than ours... Luai is also a more controlling half than anyone we have and is probably more composed than anyone we have in our spine.

I've also got 3 of our 7 sitting on the bench... but the middle is there for the taking if our forwards put their hands up.
We won't win the middle. Their back 5 will get their sets started with 15 meter runs each and fish/leota will only need to touch the ball once every second set.

The game will be won through the middle and in the halves, they've got us covered easily.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I just want to see fucking effort.

If we lose, we lose. I can forgive a loss if they at least tried their guts out to win and the other side were just simply better. What I can't forgive is a complete lack of effort.

All 4 of our past games were very winnable if we put the effort in.

Fatboy

Fatboy

QCup Player
Mar 8, 2008

If we lose, we lose. I can forgive a loss if they at least tried their guts out to win and the other side were just simply better. What I can't forgive is a complete lack of effort.

Amen…

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

If we can put in 110% and get to within a point of every team from now on, our prize will be the wooden spoon.

**** how hard we tried, we need to win.

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Exploit, rather then cheat. If you get penalties for whatever the refs are known to be cracking down on, that's poor coaching.

A good captain uses the ref.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Brocko
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • broncsgoat
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.