PRE-GAME Round 18 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

I reckon clubs would line up to take Isaako, and I think it would be a great idea to ease our cap, can’t see a need for him any longer in this side.
he wouldn’t be in my 17 for next week either.

This time last year there were articles about Isaako taking over the fullback role, and him saying he's got his sights on it but he's happy to take his time for now. Fast forward a year, and not many even want him in the side at all.

I never wanted Isaako at fullback. Really the difference between him being in first grade or not, is not making stupid errors and learning to defend on the wing. It's up to him if he has a career in first grade. He really didn't do much wrong last night but he sure as shit was invisible.

Yeah we were all jizzing over Jamayne last year, who’s to say our new wingers won’t have a shit time next year and Isaako kills it? Just keep him for depth at the moment and see if he comes good.

These days it seems like there are a few key areas that wingers really need to be good at to be a success in the NRL. Kick returns, catching bombs and finishing try scoring opportunities are 3 that come to mind straight away for me.

If I were to score Jamayne out of 10 for each category I would give him a 4 for Kick returns - he gets manhandled a little bit too much for my liking, he never seems to make much ground.

I would also give him a 4 for defusing bombs (that's probably being generous) he doesn't fill me with confidence and I am always nervous when the opposition bombs to him.

I would give him an 8 for his ability to finish. He can definitely find the try line.

Overall I think he has been well below average this season. He just doesn't seem up to it at the moment.

If we win this game we are right back in contention for a top 8 spot. I am not giving up on these boys until the fat lady sings.

Second year blues.... and off field stresses... he'll bounce back hopefully

I really hope this is the case, I've said often on here that I'm a massive fan of the bloke and think (hopefully not just in vain!) that he has a lot more to offer than what we've seen of him even last year, let alone this year.

If we win this game we are right back in contention for a top 8 spot. I am not giving up on these boys until the fat lady sings.
I like your glass half-full thinking. On the other hand, we're only 2.5 wins above the team whose coach just got punted.

1. Anthony Milford
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Darius Boyd (c)
7. Jake Turpin
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Junior

14. James Segeyaro
15. David Fifita
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Thomas Flegler

That's what I'm expecting the side to be.

1. Anthony Milford
2. Corey Oates
3. Kotoni Staggs
4. Herbie Farnworth
5. Xavier Coates
6. Darius Boyd (c)
7. Jake Turpin
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Matt Gillett
13. Tevita Pangai Junior

14. James Segeyaro
15. David Fifita
16. Joe Ofahengaue
17. Thomas Flegler

That's what I'm expecting the side to be.
Isaako to center pushing Herbie to the wing and Coates back to cup. Coates's is a great prospect but put him back now after a win , needs some time in cup.

Boyd's Strong Defence Boosts Confidence
Joel GouldSun 14 Jul 2019, 05:00 PM
New Broncos five-eighth Darius Boyd concedes he may never play fullback again but after a superb defensive display in the 18-18 draw with the Warriorshe is confident his best football in his new position is yet to come.

Boyd told NRL.com last week he was ready to have a crack at making a success of the No.6 jersey with Anthony Milford switched back to fullback.

If any moment in the draw with the Warriors epitomised that determination it was a try saving one-on-one tackle that Boyd made on Isaiah Papali’i late in the first half which saved a certain try.

The Brisbane veteran made 32 tackles, with just one missed, in the front line. Coach Anthony Seibold said it was Boyd’s physicality in those tackles that was a feature, which the Brisbane captain conceded was a much-improved display from the one against Newcastle.

"I felt a lot more confident tonight and that will give me a lot of confidence having a better performance there," Boyd said.

"There are no excuses in the Newcastle game but I did get shifted around a bit. I wanted to get involved early, defend well and do my role for the team and I thought it worked well.

"I have always liked defence and backed my defensive ability. I know there has been a bit of criticism around that of me personally this year but not through lack of effort.

"I have looked over some tapes to why I made those misses or wrong reads. Defending is one of my strong suits I think so I think I can build on tonight’s performance."

Boyd also ran for 109 metres and scored a crucial try in the second half off a Milford grubber, pouncing on an Issac Luke fumble.

Milford’s performance was immense: he ran for 219 metres and put in 15 kicks which gained 580m for his side.

It was put to Boyd that not many players change positions after playing 300 games and his days in the No.1 jersey were over.

"I suppose, yeah. Seibs wants to keep this [positional switch] moving forward and I don’t look at it in a negative way," he said.

"It is a cool challenge for me, to be honest. I have played 300 games, mostly at fullback with a bit of wing and centre. I had never played five-eighth before [this year] in the NRL except in a trial game. I thought my game was good tonight and I think I can build on that.

"Milf has done some amazing things as a five-eighth but he has only played fullback twice this year and in both games he has been strong. We ask him to do a lot because he is returning kicks and putting kicks in general play in as well. He is only going to get better and has all the ability to play fullback at rep level too if Kevvie [Walters] and Mal [Meninga] think he is best for the job."

Boyd said he couldn’t recall playing in a draw but he said sharing the one competition point at the end of 10 minutes of extra time was the right way for such a game to be decided.

"It is a tough one, but I don’t mind it to be honest," he said.

"There were some moments where we could have been better definitely. When we were up by two we got the ball stripped and then we went for a strip and gave away a penalty. We had a couple of chances to ice it with a field goal."

Boyd said the Broncos, with five of their next eight games at home, still had a firm eye on making the finals.

"If we perform like that most weeks, and having those home games and the crowd behind us, we give ourselves every chance," he said.

Not sure what your point is but I'm not proposing we are going to the grand final and win the premiership. Rather, I'm simply showing the other side - ( 1/2 full ) instead of your 1/2 empty.

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Aldo
  • The True King
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Mr Fourex
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Fozz
  • Wolfie
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.