Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Wow. We beat the Bulldogs (who were in it for more than half the game) it's still the same bunch of blokes that can miss 50 tackles in a game. I wouldn't be getting too excited.

There's always one :(

Let me start by saying I love Turps at 9 but he does look a bit lost at 7.
Apart from a couple of decent kicks tonight his control of the play normally assigned to the 7 was pretty basic. His passing game is nothing special and he threw more than one forward pass tonight so was lucky to only get pulled up the once. Unfortunately it made our attack in the opposition 20 very clunky. It was the work on the right by TPJ Staggs and Isaako that made stuff happen. It doesn't help him that his 6 is not going to offer much in the way of guidance at playing in the halves....
To me he looks like a 7 who won't run into the line, he pauses which is what leads to the pass receivers getting in front of him.
I look forward to him back at hooker where he is excellent and having SOS or Deardon back running the show. As nice as it was to get the win last night a better opposition would have eaten us alive with that attack.
Was fantastic to see Isaako play his best game this season and I have always had a wrap on Staggs. Staggs and Isaako seemed to gel well on the right so maybe that is the answer we have been looking for since Jet sulked and left. Before that Isaako was getting nothing which killed his confidence and lead to his poor performances.
[automerge]1563514420[/automerge]
Oh, and as far as Pay whining about the refs - they were atrocious or at least the male ref was. Many of his calls were just plain wrong and as far as the home side getting the rub of the green on 50/50 calls that didn't happen.....

Last edited:
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?

Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.

Last edited:
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?
TPJ is coming second in offloads isn't he??
So maybe we have been

TL;DR Turps 3, Segy 4.5, Macca 7. Yeah, right

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos
I thought it a bit harsh on Turpin, but then the spine has copped it all season for their mistakes and I guess he had to have his share.
He did make mistakes but he is playing out of position and I thought he was a 6, with macca a 7.5, but perhaps I'm a little generous in my appraisal for those who involve themselves. Macca put pressure on the kickers all night and it really paid off.
I think Isaako was very good but a 9.5 seems a little generous, given they attacked his and staggs side a bit.
Still they all played pretty good, but will need to repeat that effort in the weeks to but with a little more to give themselves an outside shot. It may be asking too much but its just great to see everyone playing together with smiles after a pretty hard year. Just finishing the year with consistent strong efforts (even losing to the contenders) will be a good result from this point on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.
Don't worry. It's just because he's moving around a lot and trying to combine with a different team mate nearly every game. Remember the game where he tackled latrell Mitchell into submission? That kind of thing isn't a one off for him. He's an extremely strong tackler with excellent technique and always has been.

Kyle has been on the Turps. Turpin a 3? Not outstanding, but way better than a 3.
[automerge]1563490525[/automerge]
Really? Forward pass on the 2nd tackle in attacking position. Ball kicked dead. Missed tackle that lead to try. He was pretty ordinary last night.

He may have been ordinary, but he wasn't "3" terrible.
And he did a lot right too. I'd still rate him as good. He's not a big bloke but ****, he gives his all. There's plenty on here who cannot bring themselves to give credit where it's due but boy oh boy, are they ever happy to dole out fucktons of criticism.

He may have been ordinary, but he wasn't "3" terrible.

Perhaps not a 3 but don't recall anything he did that would have warranted more than a 4 or 5.

He had no try assists, wasn't threatening in attack, conceded a pretty soft try and apart from forcing a goal line dropout, his kicking was pretty ordinary.

Very happy with that outing. Keeps us in the fight and improves our for n against. Keep it up fellas.

TL;DR Turps 3, Segy 4.5, Macca 7. Yeah, right

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos
Player ratings: Haas dominates as Staggs stuns lowly Bulldogs
Kyle Pollard, The Courier-Mail
July 18, 2019 10:18pm

JAKE TURPIN – 3

Really....??

I didn't think he went too bad. I'd prefer him at no.9 and not have to watch McCullough at all....but as long as we still have to, Turps will do me at no.7

And he did a lot right too. I'd still rate him as good. He's not a big bloke but ****, he gives his all. There's plenty on here who cannot bring themselves to give credit where it's due but boy oh boy, are they ever happy to dole out fucktons of criticism.
I love Turpin, but unlike some people on this forum
I like to assess players objectively and not on pre-conceived notions on who they are as players. In a team that played well Turpin was our worst on field and although 3 might be harsh 4 or 5 is as high as you would go.

I guarantee if McCullough had the same performance everyone would be saying 3 is too high.

Active Now

• theshed
  • Jedhead
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Xzei
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.