POST GAME Round 18 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

Old Mate

NRL Player
My Sharks mate tells me that Birdy won't be here next year with a plan already in place to move on in the off season. He claims we'll pay a bit but not a lot as Bird is seen as quality and will attract a good offer if one hasn't already been made. He(my mate) has a lifetime connection with the shire and gets his info from someone with a close connection down south. Something about Dugan moving on or out or over to England for a payday.

I'm not claiming it's golden, it's just interesting.
Pls be true.

McHunt

NRL Player
Sunshine Coast
TL;DR Turps 3, Segy 4.5, Macca 7. Yeah, right

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos
Player ratings: Haas dominates as Staggs stuns lowly Bulldogs
Kyle Pollard, The Courier-Mail
July 18, 2019 10:18pm

Finals are back on the menu at the Broncos Leagues Club this week and they’re starting to look like better value than the chicken snitz with chips. Check out the player ratings here and a short disclaimer: we all have different opinions on who played well and who didn’t, so feel free to smash this article over at Maroons Home Ground. I will read every single comment, I promise. So without further ado, here are the completely spot on, impossible to debate player ratings.

ANTHONY MILFORD – 6.5
Off for an HIA with 15 minutes left in the first half after being smashed in the head by old mate Bulldog Juan Pablo (Montoya) . Showed a dangerous kicking game throughout the night and was a reliable hand at fullback after coming back onto the field. Provided the try assist to Staggs that buried any Bulldogs hopes.

Corey Oates celebrates his try after a slick Darius Boyd pass. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Corey Oates celebrates his try after a slick Darius Boyd pass. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

COREY OATES – 7.5
Probably a bit stiff that he copped bronx cheers in the first half from the crowd.
Muffed the kick that gave the Bulldogs the penalty that tied the game up early on, but then forced an error on a pass as the Dogs attacked just before half-time. Got on the end of a brilliant Darius Boyd pass to score his customary try 14 minutes into the second half before being taken out after a Boyd kick that led to a penalty try.

KOTONI STAGGS – 9.5
The best Staggs night on Caxton Street since I got booted from Leftys for a whiskey-apple induced incident in 2016. Opened up the scoring with the first try of the night and consistently looked dangerous with partner in crime Jamayne Isaako, including opening up a spectacular line break that almost got Isaako in. Scored again the second half after getting on the end of a Milford pass. Only big knock on his night was when he bombed a certain try after Tevita Pangai forced Nick Meaney to spill the ball. Also put on report for lifting a knee and his kicking game was uncharacteristically off.

DAVID FIFITA – 8.5
Named on the bench, then it was announced he’d be starting at centre, and then – lo and behold – he went to the back row and Alex Glenn moved to centre. Exactly where Pete Badel reported Glenn had been training during the week. Bad luck to anyone who had a late punt on Fifita for first tryscorer. Like the hours after a dodgy chicken tikka masala, had powerful runs all night and was difficult to stop.

Jamayne Isaako celebrates his try in the 38th minute. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

Jamayne Isaako celebrates his try in the 38th minute. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

JAMAYNE ISAAKO – 9.5
Huge in the first half, Isaako made the clever offload that completely blindsided the Bulldogs for Staggs’ opening try. Got on the end of a Darius Boyd pass to score a try after some brilliant work by Tevita Pangai and looked likely to break through the Bulldogs defence right throughout the first half. Quieter in the second half but we won’t hold that against him.

DARIUS BOYD – 8
“My fullback days are over!” the headlines screamed this week as Darius said his reign at No.1 was dead in the water. Then Milford had his head ripped off and Darius was back at fullback. It didn’t last long, and once Milford returned Boyd was back at five-eighth and put in a vintage performance. Made a spectacular catch-pass that put Corey Oates over for the try and was assured all night.

JAKE TURPIN – 3
Like the Dry July I’m currently in the middle of, I’m off the Turps. But I can guarantee I’ll be back on it next month. The young gun battled all night to make an impact and his first half was lowlighted by a forward pass that took the pressure off the Dogs as the Broncos attacked, before missing the tackle that let the Bulldogs in for their first try.

MATT LODGE – 8
Led the way early with Payne Haas as the forwards stomped the Dogs into submission.
Made the smart move of keeping his foot out the end of the field to take the kick-off dead in the first half and was a behemoth in defence all night.

ANDREW MCCULLOUGH – 7
Defensively outstanding throughout and led the way with the most Broncos tackles on the field. Made an early 40-20 and briefly moved to halfback when Milford was off. Looked solid wherever he played and was barely challenged.

Payne Haas rolls over the Bulldogs defence as he did all night. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

Payne Haas rolls over the Bulldogs defence as he did all night. Picture: Bradley Kanaris/Getty Images

PAYNE HAAS – 9.5
In the words of everyone’s favourite Irish-American rap group of the 90s, the Haas of Payne is in effect ya’ll. Ran for over 200m and brutally destroyed any chance the Bulldogs had of an upset. Like Lodge, was awesome in defence and attack and showed exactly what the future holds for this young Broncos forward pack.

ALEX GLENN – 6.5
A pawn in the aforementioned David Fifita positional shenanigans, Glenn started at centre and was solid without being spectacular. Almost 100m under his belt and 17 tackles, the veteran didn’t do anything that could be criticised.

Tevita Pangai pushes his way through the Bulldogs. Picture: AAP Image/Dave Hunt

TEVITA PANGAI – 8.5
Pangai could have had ten men and their dogs hanging off him and still would have got the offload away at Suncorp on Thursday. Was being brought down by two Bulldogs players when he got the hot pass off to Boyd, who put Isaako over for a try. Later forced Nick Meaney to spill the high ball. Meaney had a fear eye for the Pangai. Yeah, OK, I forced that one harder than a Bulldogs pass that wasn’t there to begin with.

THOMAS FLEGLER – 6
Another who just plugged away without making any mistakes. Almost went over for a try early on and made a couple of cameos after that. A bit player on the night but every big show needs its support acts.

JAMES SEGEYARO – 4.5
Came on for Milford and moved to hooker. Went the kick after an awesome Pangai offload to Staggs and it probably wasn’t the right choice as the Broncos looked likely to go in for the try. Didn’t do much on the night but probably didn’t need to.

JOE OFAHENGAUE – 7
The Origin young gun started the night on the bench and came onto the field as a strike weapon. Ran for 106m and was another Bronco who was huge in defence, bullying the Bulldogs out of the game.

PAT CARRIGAN – 7
Like his fellow big men, Carrigan was brutal in attack and solid in defence, running for 112m and recording 16 tackles. Did nothing to suggest he doesn’t belong in the big time.

RHYS KENNEDY – 4.5
Didn’t have a chance to really make an impact, running for just 50m as the heavy lifting was done elsewhere.

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium

Finals are back on the menu at the Broncos Leagues Club this week and they’re starting to look like better value than the chicken snitz with chips. Check out the player ratings here and a short disclaimer: we all have different opinions on who played well and who didn’t, so feel free to smash this article over at Maroons Home Ground. I will read every single comment, I promise. So without further ado, here are the completely spot on, impossible to debate player ratings.

ANTHONY MILFORD – 6.5
Off for an HIA with 15 minutes left in the first half after being smashed in the head by old mate Bulldog Juan Pablo (Montoya) . Showed a dangerous kicking game throughout the night and was a reliable hand at fullback after coming back onto the field. Provided the try assist to Staggs that buried any Bulldogs hopes.

COREY OATES – 7.5
Probably a bit stiff that he copped bronx cheers in the first half from the crowd.
Muffed the kick that gave the Bulldogs the penalty that tied the game up early on, but then forced an error on a pass as the Dogs attacked just before half-time. Got on the end of a brilliant Darius Boyd pass to score his customary try 14 minutes into the second half before being taken out after a Boyd kick that led to a penalty try.

KOTONI STAGGS – 9.5
The best Staggs night on Caxton Street since I got booted from Leftys for a whiskey-apple induced incident in 2016. Opened up the scoring with the first try of the night and consistently looked dangerous with partner in crime Jamayne Isaako, including opening up a spectacular line break that almost got Isaako in. Scored again the second half after getting on the end of a Milford pass. Only big knock on his night was when he bombed a certain try after Tevita Pangai forced Nick Meaney to spill the ball. Also put on report for lifting a knee and his kicking game was uncharacteristically off.

DAVID FIFITA – 8.5
Named on the bench, then it was announced he’d be starting at centre, and then – lo and behold – he went to the back row and Alex Glenn moved to centre. Exactly where Pete Badel reported Glenn had been training during the week. Bad luck to anyone who had a late punt on Fifita for first tryscorer. Like the hours after a dodgy chicken tikka masala, had powerful runs all night and was difficult to stop.

JAMAYNE ISAAKO – 9.5
Huge in the first half, Isaako made the clever offload that completely blindsided the Bulldogs for Staggs’ opening try. Got on the end of a Darius Boyd pass to score a try after some brilliant work by Tevita Pangai and looked likely to break through the Bulldogs defence right throughout the first half. Quieter in the second half but we won’t hold that against him.

DARIUS BOYD – 8
“My fullback days are over!” the headlines screamed this week as Darius said his reign at No.1 was dead in the water. Then Milford had his head ripped off and Darius was back at fullback. It didn’t last long, and once Milford returned Boyd was back at five-eighth and put in a vintage performance. Made a spectacular catch-pass that put Corey Oates over for the try and was assured all night.

JAKE TURPIN – 3
Like the Dry July I’m currently in the middle of, I’m off the Turps. But I can guarantee I’ll be back on it next month. The young gun battled all night to make an impact and his first half was lowlighted by a forward pass that took the pressure off the Dogs as the Broncos attacked, before missing the tackle that let the Bulldogs in for their first try.

MATT LODGE – 8
Led the way early with Payne Haas as the forwards stomped the Dogs into submission.
Made the smart move of keeping his foot out the end of the field to take the kick-off dead in the first half and was a behemoth in defence all night.

ANDREW MCCULLOUGH – 7
Defensively outstanding throughout and led the way with the most Broncos tackles on the field. Made an early 40-20 and briefly moved to halfback when Milford was off. Looked solid wherever he played and was barely challenged.

PAYNE HAAS – 9.5
In the words of everyone’s favourite Irish-American rap group of the 90s, the Haas of Payne is in effect ya’ll. Ran for over 200m and brutally destroyed any chance the Bulldogs had of an upset. Like Lodge, was awesome in defence and attack and showed exactly what the future holds for this young Broncos forward pack.

ALEX GLENN – 6.5
A pawn in the aforementioned David Fifita positional shenanigans, Glenn started at centre and was solid without being spectacular. Almost 100m under his belt and 17 tackles, the veteran didn’t do anything that could be criticised.

TEVITA PANGAI – 8.5
Pangai could have had ten men and their dogs hanging off him and still would have got the offload away at Suncorp on Thursday. Was being brought down by two Bulldogs players when he got the hot pass off to Boyd, who put Isaako over for a try. Later forced Nick Meaney to spill the high ball. Meaney had a fear eye for the Pangai. Yeah, OK, I forced that one harder than a Bulldogs pass that wasn’t there to begin with.

THOMAS FLEGLER – 6
Another who just plugged away without making any mistakes. Almost went over for a try early on and made a couple of cameos after that. A bit player on the night but every big show needs its support acts.

JAMES SEGEYARO – 4.5
Came on for Milford and moved to hooker. Went the kick after an awesome Pangai offload to Staggs and it probably wasn’t the right choice as the Broncos looked likely to go in for the try. Didn’t do much on the night but probably didn’t need to.

JOE OFAHENGAUE – 7
The Origin young gun started the night on the bench and came onto the field as a strike weapon. Ran for 106m and was another Bronco who was huge in defence, bullying the Bulldogs out of the game.

PAT CARRIGAN – 7
Like his fellow big men, Carrigan was brutal in attack and solid in defence, running for 112m and recording 16 tackles. Did nothing to suggest he doesn’t belong in the big time.

RHYS KENNEDY – 4.5
Didn’t have a chance to really make an impact, running for just 50m as the heavy lifting was done elsewhere.

Kyle has been on the Turps. Turpin a 3? Not outstanding, but way better than a 3.
- Merged

Did Fifita get slapped by a Bulldogs player at one point in the second half? No mention of it in the commentary but l swear it looked like he slapped him.
Yes

Last edited:

pagey

NRL Captain
With all those missed conversions tonight I wouldn’t mind giving Isaako another go at goal kicking. Staggs may be a gun in attack but unless it’s dead centre, he can’t kick for crap.
Maybe set them up either side of the goals , staggs left isaako right.

Bongo

NYC Player
Good return to form for Isaako, I thought that was Staggs best game in first grade (despite the shit kicking) an also Carrigan's best game in first grade (@Wolfie), he actually bent the line today and made a bunch of good runs.
Carrigan is working his way nicely into first grade. He has been better each week. Not Haas level of progression but that's a high bar.

KnToad

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Let me start by saying I love Turps at 9 but he does look a bit lost at 7.
Apart from a couple of decent kicks tonight his control of the play normally assigned to the 7 was pretty basic. His passing game is nothing special and he threw more than one forward pass tonight so was lucky to only get pulled up the once. Unfortunately it made our attack in the opposition 20 very clunky. It was the work on the right by TPJ Staggs and Isaako that made stuff happen. It doesn't help him that his 6 is not going to offer much in the way of guidance at playing in the halves....
To me he looks like a 7 who won't run into the line, he pauses which is what leads to the pass receivers getting in front of him.
I look forward to him back at hooker where he is excellent and having SOS or Deardon back running the show. As nice as it was to get the win last night a better opposition would have eaten us alive with that attack.
Was fantastic to see Isaako play his best game this season and I have always had a wrap on Staggs. Staggs and Isaako seemed to gel well on the right so maybe that is the answer we have been looking for since Jet sulked and left. Before that Isaako was getting nothing which killed his confidence and lead to his poor performances.
- Merged

Oh, and as far as Pay whining about the refs - they were atrocious or at least the male ref was. Many of his calls were just plain wrong and as far as the home side getting the rub of the green on 50/50 calls that didn't happen.....

Last edited:

NSW stables

QCup Player
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?

JAHHW

NRL Player
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?
TPJ is coming second in offloads isn't he??
So maybe we have been

Thelmus

NRL Player

ANTHONY MILFORD – 6.5

COREY OATES – 7.5

KOTONI STAGGS – 9.5

DAVID FIFITA – 8.5

JAMAYNE ISAAKO – 9.5

DARIUS BOYD – 8

JAKE TURPIN – 3

MATT LODGE – 8

ANDREW MCCULLOUGH – 7

PAYNE HAAS – 9.5

ALEX GLENN – 6.5

TEVITA PANGAI – 8.5

THOMAS FLEGLER – 6

JAMES SEGEYARO – 4.5

JOE OFAHENGAUE – 7

PAT CARRIGAN – 7

RHYS KENNEDY – 4.5

I thought it a bit harsh on Turpin, but then the spine has copped it all season for their mistakes and I guess he had to have his share.
He did make mistakes but he is playing out of position and I thought he was a 6, with macca a 7.5, but perhaps I'm a little generous in my appraisal for those who involve themselves. Macca put pressure on the kickers all night and it really paid off.
I think Isaako was very good but a 9.5 seems a little generous, given they attacked his and staggs side a bit.
Still they all played pretty good, but will need to repeat that effort in the weeks to but with a little more to give themselves an outside shot. It may be asking too much but its just great to see everyone playing together with smiles after a pretty hard year. Just finishing the year with consistent strong efforts (even losing to the contenders) will be a good result from this point on.

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.
Don't worry. It's just because he's moving around a lot and trying to combine with a different team mate nearly every game. Remember the game where he tackled latrell Mitchell into submission? That kind of thing isn't a one off for him. He's an extremely strong tackler with excellent technique and always has been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter