POST GAME Round 18 - Broncos vs Bulldogs

Old Mate

NRL Player
My Sharks mate tells me that Birdy won't be here next year with a plan already in place to move on in the off season. He claims we'll pay a bit but not a lot as Bird is seen as quality and will attract a good offer if one hasn't already been made. He(my mate) has a lifetime connection with the shire and gets his info from someone with a close connection down south. Something about Dugan moving on or out or over to England for a payday.

I'm not claiming it's golden, it's just interesting.
Pls be true.

ivanhungryjak

NRL Captain
Suncorp Stadium
Last edited by a moderator:

pagey

NRL Captain
With all those missed conversions tonight I wouldn’t mind giving Isaako another go at goal kicking. Staggs may be a gun in attack but unless it’s dead centre, he can’t kick for crap.
Maybe set them up either side of the goals , staggs left isaako right.

Bongo

QCup Player
Good return to form for Isaako, I thought that was Staggs best game in first grade (despite the shit kicking) an also Carrigan's best game in first grade (@Wolfie), he actually bent the line today and made a bunch of good runs.
Carrigan is working his way nicely into first grade. He has been better each week. Not Haas level of progression but that's a high bar.

KnToad

QCup Player
Sunshine Coast
Let me start by saying I love Turps at 9 but he does look a bit lost at 7.
Apart from a couple of decent kicks tonight his control of the play normally assigned to the 7 was pretty basic. His passing game is nothing special and he threw more than one forward pass tonight so was lucky to only get pulled up the once. Unfortunately it made our attack in the opposition 20 very clunky. It was the work on the right by TPJ Staggs and Isaako that made stuff happen. It doesn't help him that his 6 is not going to offer much in the way of guidance at playing in the halves....
To me he looks like a 7 who won't run into the line, he pauses which is what leads to the pass receivers getting in front of him.
I look forward to him back at hooker where he is excellent and having SOS or Deardon back running the show. As nice as it was to get the win last night a better opposition would have eaten us alive with that attack.
Was fantastic to see Isaako play his best game this season and I have always had a wrap on Staggs. Staggs and Isaako seemed to gel well on the right so maybe that is the answer we have been looking for since Jet sulked and left. Before that Isaako was getting nothing which killed his confidence and lead to his poor performances.
- Merged

Oh, and as far as Pay whining about the refs - they were atrocious or at least the male ref was. Many of his calls were just plain wrong and as far as the home side getting the rub of the green on 50/50 calls that didn't happen.....

Last edited:

NSW stables

QCup Player
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?

JAHHW

NRL Player
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.

Last edited:

BroncsFan

NRL Player
Nrl.com says 10 offloads (i thought there were more more but i wasnt counting). 3 of our tries were from offloads.

Our completion rate was still over 80% with the offloads. Does this not indicate perhaps this should be a strategy we take into more games?
TPJ is coming second in offloads isn't he??
So maybe we have been

Thelmus

NRL Player
TL;DR Turps 3, Segy 4.5, Macca 7. Yeah, right

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos
I thought it a bit harsh on Turpin, but then the spine has copped it all season for their mistakes and I guess he had to have his share.
He did make mistakes but he is playing out of position and I thought he was a 6, with macca a 7.5, but perhaps I'm a little generous in my appraisal for those who involve themselves. Macca put pressure on the kickers all night and it really paid off.
I think Isaako was very good but a 9.5 seems a little generous, given they attacked his and staggs side a bit.
Still they all played pretty good, but will need to repeat that effort in the weeks to but with a little more to give themselves an outside shot. It may be asking too much but its just great to see everyone playing together with smiles after a pretty hard year. Just finishing the year with consistent strong efforts (even losing to the contenders) will be a good result from this point on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pub Steak

QCup Player
Not much to say that hasn’t already been said, except one really concerning aspect that needs to be noted.

Staggs was super strong in attack, rampaging almost. But he has A LOT of work to do on his defence.

4 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 3 ineffective tackles. Against a pretty poor Bulldogs left edge too.

I seriously doubt James Moloney would be that bad.

Otherwise, some really strong performances without any poor performers, which is probably the most satisfying. Good effort from everyone whilst ever they had their chance.
Don't worry. It's just because he's moving around a lot and trying to combine with a different team mate nearly every game. Remember the game where he tackled latrell Mitchell into submission? That kind of thing isn't a one off for him. He's an extremely strong tackler with excellent technique and always has been.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter