Round 18 Discussion

The only explanation I've seen given is that it causes players to switch off.

Since the field goal is typically reserved as a last resort, going for one early sends a message that you're looking for the full-time siren. If you're a coach, I assume you want your players to search for the most amount of points possible and that's where a lot of your resources would be focused during the pre-season and during the week.

Plus field goals are very risky in the modern game. If you miss and it's the 58th minute, you've just handed the opposition a big invite back into your half.

Yep I've heard all those reasons and they have some merit. Personally I'd be taking the point if I was in a position. There wouldn't be as much pressure as at the end of a game and to me being 2 tries in front is a bad lead. It's just enough to make you feel comfortable but not enough to make you safe. Plus being 13 in front forces the hand of the other side IMO.

I have to give a big wrap to Corey Norman tonight and this season really. He is learning patience this year. Maybe being without Foran for so many games has helped him to step up another level.

A lot of people blowing up about the call at the end of the game.

But IIRC, I've heard refs say that if you go in for a try, you have taken advantage. Which meant Eels get the ball because the Roosters play knocked it on and didn't ground it in goal.

There was an incident against the Tigers in 2012 or 2013 when Tigers were fouled by the Broncos, but because they went for the try, it was deemed they had taken their advantage and weren't awarded a penalty when the try was overturned.

Last edited:
In that situation they usually don't give the players any leeway. because as soon as a defender puts his hand on a player who is on the ground, the tackle in deemed complete ... thus continuing to force him back is a penalty.

to be legally able to force the player back, what the Roosters player needed to do is stand over the Eels player that was on the ground, without putting a hand on him ... if the Eels player does not attempt to get up, it would then be a voluntary tackle. if the Eels player does get up to avoid being pinged for a voluntary tackle, then the Roosters defender can legally force him back into the ingoal.

in this case it was simply a wrong call against the Eels

Yeah he could have easily been pinched but I was happy enough for it to be let go. when a player drops like that and doesn't contest the tackle in any way you get what you get IMO.
Consistency in rulings, well that's another thing.

Personally I'd be taking the point if I was in a position. There wouldn't be as much pressure as at the end of a game and to me being 2 tries in front is a bad lead. It's just enough to make you feel comfortable but not enough to make you safe. Plus being 13 in front forces the hand of the other side IMO.

It depends on the type of team.

If you've got a side like Melbourne who are consistent across the 80 and can defend then I think it would be worthwhile.

However, if you're Penrith and you're in that situation, I'd rather keep the other team pinned down that end of the field with a 12 point lead, than give them an opportunity to get a short kick-off and hit back.

While we're talking defensive plays, one that confuses me is turnovers on the opponents goal line. Usually when teams are trying to take time off the clock, you'll usually see them just take the tackle in the corner. It's an effective play, but I think they can go one better. Instead of just rucking it up, I think it would be better to dab the ball forward, force the opponent to play at it, and tackle them right there and then. There's tackle one and you've got the opposition right on their goal-line scrambling trying to organise themselves.

Unless your team gives away a bonehead penalty, you've essentially got yourself a more effective goal-line drop out.

Around The Grounds

NSW Cup
Warriors 12 defeated Illawarra Cutters 8
Penrith Panthers 34 defeated North Sydney Bears 22
The Mounties 33 defeated Newcastle Knights 22
Wentworthville Magpies 34 defeated Manly Sea Eagles 26
Wyong Roos 16 defeated Newtown Jets 12

The big news coming out of this round was the demotion of Tyrone Peachey. Peachey was dropped from first grade for disciplinary reasons and played five-eighth in the Panthers 34 to 22 victory over North Sydney. It's worth noting that Junior Kangaroo didn't play in that game, which indicates he'll debut for the Panthers on Sunday.

While we're on the Panthers/Bears clash, George Burgess who had been sidelined since the Round 11 win against St George Illawarra with a groin injury made his return off the bench. You would have to think he'll come into calculations when the Rabbitohs take on the Broncos next weekend.

As far as the NSW Cup itself, Round 18 tossed up some very important clashes. The Mounties regained top spot on the ladder after their 33 points to 22 win over a gallant Newcastle outfit. Of course that came off the back of the earlier contest that saw the Warriors grind out a hard fought win over the Illawarra Cutters over there in New Zealand. Speaking of close contests, Wyong defeated Newtown which enables them to keep their spot in the 8 and even make moves up the ladder while Newtown go through a rough patch of form.

In the Queensland Cup:

Redcliffe Dolphins 28 defeated Sunshine Coast Falcons 8

Which is a good result for the Pride, Magpies and Jets as they duke it out for a place in the Top 6.

Good start from the Tigers so far to score early and keep the dogs out so far.

Morris is out in touch in goal, great work to keep him out.

Can't keep them out this time though, well done to Eastwood for that quality pass to Morris to allow him to make the break and send Moses Mbye in to score. 6-4 to the Tigers about 15 minutes in.

Last edited:
LOL that has to be one of the worst quick taps I have seen.

Not sure if taking the two here is the best thing for the Tigers to only make it 8-4.

WHAT A TRY FROM JOSH ADDO-CARR. Plenty of speed in this youngster and looking a quality pickup for the storm. 14-4.

Good hit back with Morris going into score from a failed intercept from the Tigers. 14-10.

Last edited:
And this game has changed quick with the dogs just cutting them to shreds up the middle from the kickoff going to be 16-14 now.

Another attempt at goal from the Tigers near halftime, this is 39 metres out and not in front.

No but if there is a way lets do it just to piss NSW off.

Now that is a great team try from the Tigers early in the second half.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Manlyman
  • Mr Fourex
  • FACTHUNT
  • Manofoneway
  • Bish
  • Bucking Beads
  • Pablo
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • Maroon4life
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Midean
  • Sproj
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.