[Round 19, 2021] Panthers vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Again, stats can be very misleading. No one doubts his ability to run and support play, it is excellent but his non-efforts in defense on multiple occasions were really, really bad.
What kind of bad we thinking here bud? Darius level bad or Glenn level bad ?

Actually don't mind this team.. its definitely not the worst we've put out this year. Captain should go to who turns up to captains run first
It really summed up how useless Glenn is as a captain when he couldn’t even be bothered to go and question why the try was disallowed so Turpin was left there debating with the ref. Then all of a sudden, Glenn wakes from his 3 year siesta and wanders over looking all stunned and bewildered.

Not at the disallowed try, just wondering where the **** he was.

It really summed up how useless Glenn is as a captain when he couldn’t even be bothered to go and question why the try was disallowed so Turpin was left there debating with the ref. Then all of a sudden, Glenn wakes from his 3 year siesta and wanders over looking all stunned and bewildered.

Another was when the penalty goal was taken.. they looked completely clueless on what to do the captain should of made the call straight up but they were all looking around for someone to take ownership on a decision

I would still be inclined to give Niu fullback because he has the skillset, keep Herbie at Centre with Walters or Kelly at half next to him, and bring back Meady.

Cobbo to stay in ISC at fullback for failsafe on Niu.

Bully should be starting on Glenns spot as far as I'm concerned, surely Kevvie has a grudge against him at this point no sense is being made.

I would still be inclined to give Niu fullback because he has the skillset, keep Herbie at Centre with Walters or Kelly at half next to him, and bring back Meady.

Cobbo to stay in ISC at fullback for failsafe on Niu.

Bully should be starting on Glenns spot as far as I'm concerned, surely Kevvie has a grudge against him at this point no sense is being made.

Walters doesn't play for us ... he plays for the Tigpies

He was just checking himself out on the big screen bro.

Another was when the penalty goal was taken.. they looked completely clueless on what to do the captain should of made the call straight up but they were all looking around for someone to take ownership on a decision
I think they were all looking to the sideline / coach's box for the decision.

They may not have been able to see what the call was (glare during a day game??) and waiting on the assistant/ runner to let them know

He was just checking himself out on the big screen bro.

Kelly has been heaps better than Croft . Croft has always been shocking in defence and not that good in attack.
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Clearly you have never watched a game. Croft's greatest asset has been his defence, far superior to any other half we've had for years.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Clearly you have never watched a game. Croft's greatest asset has been his defence, far superior to any other half we've had for years.

He’s had a few bad defensive moments this year but that was horrendous. That edge lost us a very winnable game.

I have a theory that could possibly absolve Croft of some of the blame but I hesitate to share it because me having an anti-Walters agenda has become a meme.

To me it looked like Croft was trying to replicate a recent trend for covering poor defensive edges. Coaching the halves to shoot out of the line with the intention of limiting angles for attacking teams trying to go wide and forcing the attack to remain in the middle third where the middle defence is compressed. Wayne has used this many times this year and I think someone did a breakdown of it earlier in the season.

Though I haven’t rewatched the game so maybe Croft just all of a sudden decided to take it upon himself to leave the line constantly and continue to do so even when it obviously wasn’t working.

Im sure one of the good analysers on BHQ such as @Big Pete can easily dismiss this theory though and I’ll cross it off of my Kev shit list.

He’s had a few bad defensive moments this year but that was horrendous. That edge lost us a very winnable game.

I have a theory that could possibly absolve Croft of some of the blame but I hesitate to share it because me having an anti-Walters agenda has become a meme.

To me it looked like Croft was trying to replicate a recent trend for covering poor defensive edges. Coaching the halves to shoot out of the line with the intention of limiting angles for attacking teams trying to go wide and forcing the attack to remain in the middle third where the middle defence is compressed. Wayne has used this many times this year and I think someone did a breakdown of it earlier in the season.

Though I haven’t rewatched the game so maybe Croft just all of a sudden decided to take it upon himself to leave the line constantly and continue to do so even when it obviously wasn’t working.

Im sure one of the good analysers on BHQ such as @Big Pete can easily dismiss this theory though and I’ll cross it off of my Kev shit list.
I believe it's a method the storm and/or roosters use and I believe the analysis you are referring to was either Matt Elliott or Seibold.

They were calling it like a disruptor or something... where one member of the defensive line, usually the half, shoots out to disrupt a backline movement, but then falls back into the defensive line.

I was at the game and haven't watched a replay, but I'd say on at least a few occasions Croft was having to shoot up because we were outnumbered and/or a quick ptb was on. No point staying in your defensive line if they're scattered from the quick ptb or outnumbered, as a simple block play will catch you out. You have to force the attack to at least make the play harder by cutting their decision time and having to make the harder pass (cut out, tap on, etc.)

From my perspective our edge defence turns to shit from Glenn who always takes the decoy.

Glenn had a similarly horrendous defensive display against the dragons earlier this year taking the decoy every single time and leaving acres of space outside him (I believe it was Gamble who was the half that copped BHQ's wrath after that game).

It turns a simple sliding defence into disarray when an inside man just takes a nothing decoy (especially when the inside defence is there covering it anyway).

I believe it's a method the storm and/or roosters use and I believe the analysis you are referring to was either Matt Elliott or Seibold.

They were calling it like a disruptor or something... where one member of the defensive line, usually the half, shoots out to disrupt a backline movement, but then falls back into the defensive line.

I was at the game and haven't watched a replay, but I'd say on at least a few occasions Croft was having to shoot up because we were outnumbered and/or a quick ptb was on. No point staying in your defensive line if they're scattered from the quick ptb or outnumbered, as a simple block play will catch you out. You have to force the attack to at least make the play harder by cutting their decision time and having to make the harder pass (cut out, tap on, etc.)

From my perspective our edge defence turns to shit from Glenn who always takes the decoy.

Glenn had a similarly horrendous defensive display against the dragons earlier this year taking the decoy every single time and leaving acres of space outside him (I believe it was Gamble who was the half that copped BHQ's wrath after that game).

It turns a simple sliding defence into disarray when an inside man just takes a nothing decoy (especially when the inside defence is there covering it anyway).

This is extremely common in touch football played at a high level, where defensive 'shooters' will sprint out of the line to shut down any play from developing, and then falling back into the defensive line if they fail to do so.

It requires elite fitness to have players ready to regularly sprint out of the line of defensive sets, as well as excellent communication between defensive players to ensure that each 'shooting' player has a player on either side of him hanging back in the defensive line and aware of his absence, ready to cover to their inside shoulder... 2 players next to each other never shoot up together, it would create too big of a hole. It also requires great dedication and scramble from the players who don't shoot to scramble should the shooters fail to shut down the play.

It's the equivalent of running a 'blitz' in American football - it shuts down the play effectively when it works, but can create liabilities should the attacking team have the composure and skill to take advantage of it. Therefore, it is best used sometimes, rather than as a permanent defensive strategy. Mainly, it should be used to cut off ball movement to outside backs - QLD could have employed it effectively in this year's origin to limit the mismatches out wide and prevent NSW from spreading the ball with ease - it effectively narrows the field and forces the game into the middle.

It is especially effective against inexperienced halves who lack the time and composure to identify the pressure and execute a play to capitalise, but it is also less effective against instinctual, seat-of-their pants type improvising players, who when pressured can take off running and create opportunities in broken field play.

I have absolutely no doubt that as we see the game become more and more akin to touch football, that the good teams at the front of the curve will start utilising this type of defence more and more, it will suit these well-drilled elite teams down to the ground and will be absolutely devastating for the bottom-tier teams - just another factor which will contribute to the constant blowouts and disparity between the have and the have-nots we already see in the NRL.

The Broncos are not in a position where we have the players, skills, discipline or structures to employ this sort of tactic effectively.

I'm so jaded with Bronco speak, I can't tell whether this is happening or not:

The Broncos are not in a position where we have the players, skills, discipline or structures to employ this sort of tactic effectively.

**** no....they can't even get the most basic of RL principles right, let alone anything that might take a bit of nous.

I'm so jaded with Bronco speak, I can't tell whether this is happening or not:

the Broncos never said Coates wouldn't be picked again... that came from Dobbo.

in fact, IIRC, Kevvie said Coates would be back in the side before too long

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • Dash
  • BroncsNBundy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.