Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Post Match Discussion

I still think the playing group needs to learn how to close out a game properly. There were numerous occasions in the last 10 minutes where we gave the Warriors easy field position, which could have lead to a try. Instead of chipping and chasing or running from dummy half on the 5th tackle, Ben Hunt needs to take control and kick to the corners.

Well Guys, I think we have found our new 5/8th and fullback

Well, a few of us - only a few, have been suggesting that as our best option for a while now. Tonight was all the proof that was needed. Barba will only get better if he is given the chance to play what I feel is his best position, and Hoffman does what he does, and can only do, pretty well. His tackle on Tomkins I think was brilliant.

As for Copley, that should be the end of Reed, much as I have suppprted him. However compared to Copley, who played like a great centre should (reminded me a little of Reg Gasnier or Renouf ... a little I said...) made Reed look ordinary, and Copley should be permanently in that position.

However, as a team, still too many stupid mistakes

Last edited:
Another terrible start to the game but they showed some real character to stay in the contest after getting monstered early, last year they would have rolled over.

When Hoffman knocked on with 5 to go it could have been another loss at the death but to their credit they held on for a brave win.

Defense is still a concern after conceding some pretty ordinary tries.

Reed may have trouble getting back into the side with Copley again showing he has a lot more to offer in the centres than he does on the wing, Maranta also showed he is the much safer option under the high ball.

I thought Barba showed a few subtle signs of his former self.

Hunt was good again and is starting to evolve into a mature playmaker.

A As for Copley, that should be the end of Reed, much as I have suppprted him. However compared to Copley, who played like a great centre should (reminded me a little of Reg Gasnier or Renouf ... a little I said...) made Reed look ordinary, and Copley should be permanently in that position.

Very hard to argue with this. Admittedly, I'm far from Reeds biggest fan, but I can't fault his effort. However, he is absolutely incapable of tearing through defence like Dale did tonight. No speed, no step, no fend. No brainer!

Just a thought but supposed Barba sees out the remainder of the season playing primarily 5/8th could that be an audition period for him to remain there in 2015?

As for Reed I think tonight opened my eyes more, Reed is decent but Copley showed tonight his capable of much more then that in the centres and he belongs there, Maranta deserves a spot in the side too so he should stay as well. What do do with Reed, unless we were to use him off the bench as a backrower (and quite frankly I think there are better options for that role) it's not looking like a solid argument to keep him in the side.

Last edited:
That's our backline for the rest of the year as far as I'm concerned

I have been a big supporter of reed, but I'm sorry mate your gone. Copley needs to play centre and he is so much better than reed.

Was really impressed with maranta too.

Marty Kennedy made a statement I thought.

Can someone tell me why it looks like we aren't re-signing hannant?

Ben hunt. What else is there to say, just gets better and better

Just a thought but supposed Barba sees out the remainder of the season playing primarily 5/8th could that be an audition period for him to remain there in 2015?

I would hope so. Milford can slot into 6 but seems very comfortable at 1. Should Barba warm to playing in the halves, you'd hope they let them both continue to play on.

As I said in the pregame thread ... If Barba plays well on the 5/8 role for the remainder of the year ... He stays there in 2015 with Milf starting in the 1

Well done Broncos....admittedly I was a doubter but they surprised me. I did 200 on the game but still was pleased with the result..... Maranta was great, super safe and I'm stunned they kept bombing him, never looked like dropping one and already had a reputation as safe from bombing. Hannant was great, super effort. Didn't think much of Thaiday while Kennedy didn't let anyone down although not spectacular. Some soft defence and poor execution but overall not too bloody bad....

Definitely good to see Hoggman away from 5/8 and Barba having a better influence. Hooks season still hanging but just a little further away from the precipice.....

If Copley & Hunt aren't re-signed on long term deals before this season finishes, someone needs to lose their job, those 2 are the future of this club, and maybe even Queensland.

Well done Broncos....admittedly I was a doubter but they surprised me. I did 200 on the game but still was pleased with the result..... Maranta was great, super safe and I'm stunned they kept bombing him, never looked like dropping one and already had a reputation as safe from bombing. Hannant was great, super effort. Didn't think much of Thaiday while Kennedy didn't let anyone down although not spectacular. Some soft defence and poor execution but overall not too bloody bad....

Definitely good to see Hoggman away from 5/8 and Barba having a better influence. Hooks season still hanging but just a little further away from the precipice.....

You bet $200 on a League game?? Rich man!

having barba at 5/8th immediately takes pressure off hunt. teams are in two minds as they know what barba is capable of even if he doesnt produce the magic plays just his presence in the halves takes pressure off hunt

After the first 2 Warriors tries I thought we were in for a flogging. To the boys credit they fought back and got the win. That tackle by Hunt on the Beast was brilliant. Copley was great and Parker lead the pack well. Reed will find it hard to get back his old spot IMO. Very good win in the end.

I love Copley, Maranta, Hunt and Parker.

Thaiday nearly fucking lost it for us.

as pleased as i am with the win....our defense was fucking atrocious...i dont care if hoffman is 5/8 or fullback, reed is in or out or kennedy had a good game or not, our defense was softer than a midget trannies rectum.

3 things were very clear tonight and hopefully not forgotten.
1) hannant is a starting prop who has been terribly wasted coming off the bench. He set the platform early on with his solid charges up the middle and is a good foil with moose in the starting pack. He needs to be starting each week.
2) copley was finally returned to his favourite and rightful position in the centres. If griffin is serious he cant move him again to accommodate ginger meggs. There is really no comparison between the 2. One is fast and the other is slow. Copleys left foot step then blinding acceleration was great to see.
3) hoffman played his best game at the back tonight. He was finally playing in his preferred position as well. Although he made an error late in the game his positional play in attack and ball return was great, but the most pleasing was his try line defense. Again, I hope griffin sticks with him there. I see a bad 2015 for barba, as I think hoff will stay in the 1 and milford to 6. Barba can go with marty kennedy to timbuctoo.....

as pleased as i am with the win....our defense was fucking atrocious...i dont care if hoffman is 5/8 or fullback, reed is in or out or kennedy had a good game or not, our defense was softer than a midget trannies rectum.
Maybe but that defensive effort in the last ten or so was outstanding.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Wolfie
  • barker
  • Browny
  • Battler
  • Bucking Beads
  • Jazza
  • BroncosAlways
  • Shane Tronc
  • Fozz
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • lakers133334
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Strop
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • blacknwhite
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.