Round 19 - Broncos vs Warriors - Post Match Discussion

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
as pleased as i am with the win....our defense was ****ing atrocious...i dont care if hoffman is 5/8 or fullback, reed is in or out or kennedy had a good game or not, our defense was softer than a midget trannies rectum.

Gee zappa, you are a hard marker. Lets not forget that the warriors are a big strong mobile pack and most sides find it hard to contain them. I agree there was some defensive errors but as a genuine footy fan you must have enjoyed the game as a whole tonight. Watching copley square his opposite then cut him to shreds off the left foot and blow past like lightning was sensational.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
3 things were very clear tonight and hopefully not forgotten.

hoffman played his best game at the back tonight. He was finally playing in his preferred position as well. Although he made an error late in the game his positional play in attack and ball return was great, but the most pleasing was his try line defense. Again, I hope griffin sticks with him there. I see a bad 2015 for barba, as I think hoff will stay in the 1 and milford to 6. Barba can go with marty kennedy to timbuctoo.....

T

talanoa

NRL Player
Jan 16, 2014
Inside running is that hannant will go where ever wayne ends up so he may still end up staying at the club. And kennedy needed a half decent game to try and persuade another club to pick him up as he is on gumtree for sale.

zappa

zappa

U18 Player
Jun 18, 2014
Gee zappa, you are a hard marker. Lets not forget that the warriors are a big strong mobile pack and most sides find it hard to contain them. I agree there was some defensive errors but as a genuine footy fan you must have enjoyed the game as a whole tonight. Watching copley square his opposite then cut him to shreds off the left foot and blow past like lightning was sensational.

i enjoyed the game, no question! but, our defense has been lacking the last few weeks...the warriors definatly didnt play their best, neither did we, if the game was say, 16-10, i wouldnt have been as harsh, i just think the scoreline(and last weeks for that matter) clearly shows a underlying problem that needs to be sorted out this time of the season

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
3 things were very clear tonight and hopefully not forgotten.
1) hannant is a starting prop who has been terribly wasted coming off the bench. He set the platform early on with his solid charges up the middle and is a good foil with moose in the starting pack. He needs to be starting each week.
2) copley was finally returned to his favourite and rightful position in the centres. If griffin is serious he cant move him again to accommodate ginger meggs. There is really no comparison between the 2. One is fast and the other is slow. Copleys left foot step then blinding acceleration was great to see.
3) hoffman played his best game at the back tonight. He was finally playing in his preferred position as well. Although he made an error late in the game his positional play in attack and ball return was great, but the most pleasing was his try line defense. Again, I hope griffin sticks with him there. I see a bad 2015 for barba, as I think hoff will stay in the 1 and milford to 6. Barba can go with marty kennedy to timbuctoo.....

Hoffman instead of Milford? You're joking? Hoffman is a solid FB but he is unable to contribute to any play making and has shown that for 2 years at least. He is the last thing we need at the back with Milford arriving, and for mine, Barba starting to show his class.

Barba is for mine the half we need. He's had 1 game there and did some good things - in attack and defence. I can only see him improve with the pressure of FB off his shoulders when clearly he is not ready for it.

As for Kennedy, I thought he did quite well tonight. He was part of a very strong forward showing, despite the mistakes a number of our forwards made.

Nevertheless, next week, I expect to see the same old tired side with Hoffman back at 5/8 and Reed in the centres.

How sad.

morethanjack

morethanjack

NYC Player
Contributor
Aug 12, 2013
It was pleasant to watch a Broncos game where I didn't cringe every time the opposition put a bomb up. Really hope Copley stays left center with Maranta at right wing.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
Really gritty win.

God we started bad. To right the ship and haul the game back into our hands like that took a huge effort.

I wouldn't change that backline except for replacing Kahu with Vidot.

Give Oates back his bench spot.

Reed can GAGF..... Hodgo & Copley are now our centres.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Far from convincing but definitely a determined win.

They did well to fight back where they were from. The Warriors absolutely dominated them earlier and the difference between the sides appeared to be night and day. I feared for the worst when the Broncos couldn't even complete a simple one out play but off the back of some big plays, they were able to fight their way back into the game.

That run from Hannant was inspired. That was 19 weeks of pent up frustration and the Polar Bear made the most of it storming through and then over the Warriors to score.

Then on the other side of the field, Tomkins appears to score a try for all money until Hoffman comes up with one of the best try-saving tackles a Bronco has come up with this season. Of course, it'd prove to be one of many for the boys tonight.

Broncos were fairly rewarded with two trademark tries heading into half-time. Ben Hunt probably has the best show and go in the game, he's just great at putting the defence in two minds and that's an area the Broncos had been lacking in for so long. While the Kahu try was affirmation of the fans patience in him. What a strong effort near the line, it would have done him the world of good and aside from his effort on Henry in the second half, I thought he enjoyed a promising game otherwise.

Second half was loose but desperate. Certain plays had all the intensity of a finals game, others seemed straight out of a NYC game, thankfully in this situation, the Broncos managed to finish on top. My biggest complaint with the Broncos is that they seemingly play a really slap-dashed style with no set plan but I thought they showed good direction by basing their plays on giving Copley good ball. Copley was fantastic against the Warriors last start and he was even better here, again, this is why those who watched him in the NYC were so determined he'd be a good pick up.

In the end, I thought the game was a just reward for the Broncos. I think the fans have been by far the harshest critics of a side no one really rated heading into 2014 and they've made a contest of every game they have been involved in this season. They still have plenty of improvement left in them but I like the path they're on and will be very interested to see where they're at in 2015.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
At the game it was uh oh after ten minutes but they dug deep, it may not have been perfect but it was wholehearted and that is all I ask.
Bring on the Storm I believe we can beat them provided a similar team is named

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
You bet $200 on a League game?? Rich man!

Ha ha.....what do I know, I thought the Warriors were specials even before three players were stood down ! 200 is like 2 1/2 hours pay so no, definitely not rich. 200 was a tip for Kerry Packer , now that was a rich man !

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Im fucking hammered. but, is it me, but Copley and Maranta need to stay in the same psotion every week ecause tey where off the chain!

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
That's the safest our back three have looked all season. Given the back three have pretty much cost us the last 2 games it was refreshing to see not 1 dropped bomb.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Barba showed enough in defence last night to suggest he can make a permanent switch to the 6 IMO. I've given Maranta a lot of stick in the past but gee he has improved this year. Much better all round from him. Kahu was pretty bloody good in his first game this year as well. Good to have Kennedy back. Gives us a bit more size off the bench. It really is a shame we paid overs for him because he goes ok when he wants to.

Last edited:
austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Was so good to see Copley break the line and have the pace to go all the way. So often our backline breaks the line and get run down for lack of pace.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
This game, against perhaps the equal best attacking side in the comp, showed me some critical things about the Broncos in terms of the positions we should play, most of which have been discussed and it seems, agreed upon, like our best centre pairing where we at last have strike power on both sides of the park, and a safe and relatively secure FB.

However, I want to single out Maranta for his performance. He showed great courage and commitment in all facets of a winger's game, but better still, he showed skill and instinct under the high ball. He watched, waited and then moved forward at the exact right moment to leap and catch the ball under pressure which was for mine, is precisely what makes a good winger just that, and a good winger is just as important in that role particularly as any other position in the side.

I felt his work under the high ball was just as effective as any try saving tackle made.

Then, there was his pace when he chased and brought down Tomkins from memory.

He should be a permanent fixture in the side

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I still can't get over that tackle by Ben Hunt on Vatuvei

uptheguts

uptheguts

QCup Player
Oct 24, 2013
Great hard fought win against a very good side , who threw a lot at us. How refreshing to see a few genuine line breaks produced by a genuine attacking centre. Great job by all the fowards especially Hannant , Parker and Thaiday. Though I think Corey may be doing too many hit ups. IMO he should let the bigger boys (Hannant Kennedy? Oates Hala) do more of that , otherwise I can see him getting hurt or just worn out very soon. Of course Hunt was again the star , just needs to tidy up his kicking game a bit.

Did anyone else think that the refs let the warriors get away with too much in slowing down the play the ball? Plenty of times I thought they walked over tackled players as they tried to get to their feet to play the ball. I thought we were short changed about three penalties.

Barba must stay at 5/8 and Hoffman to fullback , though I still prefer him on the wing. Could Maranta be another fullback option? Copley surely must stay in the centres.

Unread

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • HarryAllan7
  • marw
  • Cavalo
  • Jedhead
  • Strop
  • Bongo
  • mitch222
  • phoenix
  • Bucking Beads
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • azza.79
  • BooKhaki
  • Manofoneway
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.