Support Play
/ Set Completion /
Penalties (Conceded)
Set Restarts
Errors

Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Staggs biggest weakness is he lacks attention to detail. He can fend off three players to score but doesn't dive on a loose ball or doesn't make a vital tackle.

That attention to detail is vital at fullback.

Fullback on average is about 7760m per game, I would be worried you would blunt his attack by making him do that work. His attacking strength is early ball and using his strength and running out line to fend be hard to do that against four guys ready to smash you off kick returns.

Broncos lack the halves to get him in games too, be hard to inject yourself and then get a hospital pass or no pass.

Yeah he tends to be a bit lazy which will work against him at fullback as teams will keep exploiting that.

I wouldn't be against giving him a crack, but I think Staggs is always going to be a centre and nothing more. We should just keep him there.

Which for me raises the question, why the **** was he ever re-signed in 'Oct '17 on a 4 year contract and on that amount of money. One year, maybe but 4?

It was a ridiculous commitment. The club wanted to make a nice gesture to their captain and it blew up in their face. They should never have offered him that deal, it should have always been a two year tops and you review it after every season. In fairness to the club, I'd imagine the terms and agreements were all agreed upon months before Boyd tore his hamstring and they were just waiting for certain TPAs to be cleared by the NRL.

In your opinion. I'd say, what do the stats indicate? If they indicate he's last in just about every area measured I'll agree with you. All you have to do is cut and paste, it shouldn't be difficult to prove he's the worst fullback, afterall, the evidence will surely support you.
Conveniently you’ve avoided answering my incredibly simple question.

I don’t have the time, nor the energy to trawl through stats in an attempt to try and prove something that is as clear as day to anyone who watches regular NRL. If you want to use them to argue against my point, feel free to go look them up.

But as I know you get off on stats (so long as they support your argument of course), here is a couple for you. Lockyer averaged around 14 try assists per season (204 in 349 games at the time this article was posted https://www.nrl.com/news/2011/08/11/stats-insider-darren-lockyers-brilliant-career/). Tim Smith set a record that still stands today; 40 in his 2005 debut season. Obviously, stats don’t even go close to painting the entire picture.

Reality is, Boyd would struggle to make any other team in the NRL. You’re welcome to disagree, but if you do, be sure to name which other fullbacks he would oust.

Last edited:
True, Boyd has played some half-decent games this season. But to suggest he’s somehow a yardstick for how a finals bound team performs is laughable.

To say otherwise suggests I’m not the one with the narrative.

Put simply, if he has been good this season, in what other team would he displace their first choice fullback?

None in the NRL, that’s for sure.
This is the heart of the problem. Yes he has been better this year but how often has he outplayed his opposite fullback? Is there a team in the league who would swap us for him? A few years ago he was playing for Australia and doing us proud but his performances dropped off a cliff along with his involvement in games. How involved was Gutherson this week compared to Boyd and yet some people are happy to give Boyd a pass mark. To win we need to be better across the park and Boyd has gone from one of the top half dozen fullbacks to the worst in the league.

I struggle to think of any Broncos player that is even top 5 in their position. The only ones who arguably would be there are Carrigan, Staggs and Haas. Even then, that is only because there are jack all good centres around and Haas just on potential.

Prop: JWH, Bromwich, SST, Paulo, Paps, Saifiti all arguably ahead at least.
Lock: Murray, JT2, Jurbo, Radley, Arrow all ahead of Carrigan, likely more.
Centre: Morris, Manu, Jennings, Staggs?

On the positive, anyone else enjoy just how shit Moses is? It's clear he's been riding on the back of Brown's work, and even against an abysmal Broncos defence, he pulled out some massive fucking clangers. He's a highlight-reel player that only wants to do the flashy shit but doesn't want to earn the right to do it. Multiple kicks dead, a massive howler of a pass in to the stands. I've never seen anyone so fucking excited to throw a no-look 3-man cut-out pass that has a maybe 10% chance of creating anything and a 90% chance of causing an error or an intercept.

I struggle to think of any Broncos player that is even top 5 in their position. The only ones who arguably would be there are Carrigan, Staggs and Haas. Even then, that is only because there are jack all good centres around and Haas just on potential.

Prop: JWH, Bromwich, SST, Paulo, Paps, Saifiti all arguably ahead at least.
Lock: Murray, JT2, Jurbo, Radley, Arrow all ahead of Carrigan, likely more.
Centre: Morris, Manu, Jennings, Staggs?

Maybe now, but when we turn things around we have players that have, and can, be up there again. Whether they will is another story. Milford beside an older Dearden and a settled pack has a good shot at regaining his '15 and early '16 form. If Oates can get over the dropsies and regain confidence in defence he can get back to being one of best, but arguably the most complete, winger in the game. Haas, TPJ (big if) can be right up there. A more polished Staggs. There is plenty to be hopeful for.

Conveniently you’ve avoided answering my incredibly simple question.

I don’t have the time, nor the energy to trawl through stats in an attempt to try and prove something that is as clear as day to anyone who watches regular NRL. If you want to use them to argue against my point, feel free to go look them up.

But as I know you get off on stats (so long as they support your argument of course), here is a couple for you. Lockyer averaged around 14 try assists per season (204 in 349 games at the time this article was posted https://www.nrl.com/news/2011/08/11/stats-insider-darren-lockyers-brilliant-career/). Tim Smith set a record that still stands today; 40 in his 2005 debut season. Obviously, stats don’t even go close to painting the entire picture.

Reality is, Boyd would struggle to make any other team in the NRL. You’re welcome to disagree, but if you do, be sure to name which other fullbacks he would oust.
Mmm, quick search of 2020 stats. Best Bronco, line break assists, Darius Boyd. Best Bronco, try assists, Darius Boyd. Must just be because the rest of the team is shit. Mind you those stats are top 20 of 2020. Weird huh?

What a second, if he's the best of the Broncos in those stats does that mean my contention that if his team mates were better, the team would have been better? It's such a puzzle.

It's almost like DB played pretty well in 2020 but hey, THAT CANNOT BE TRUE, RIGHT?

Maybe now, but when we turn things around we have players that have, and can, be up there again. Whether they will is another story. Milford beside an older Dearden and a settled pack has a good shot at regaining his '15 and early '16 form. If Oates can get over the dropsies and regain confidence in defence he can get back to being one of best, but arguably the most complete, winger in the game. Haas, TPJ (big if) can be right up there. A more polished Staggs. There is plenty to be hopeful for.

Sure but nothing but hope with a side that looks like it has stagnated, rather than improving. We are supposed to be the glamour club, the big kids on campus and MAYBE 1 CURRENT top 5 player, goodness me that is tragic.

Look at the Roosters and Storm, top 5 in almost every position, I couldn't care less about 'creative accounting', playing by the rules has got our side where? The incentives to cheat if you can in this sad excuse for a competition are those so blatantly obvious.

You can cheat to get an entire side of superstars and unless you have a disgruntled former employee, you are not going to get found out. You can have your ex-employee serve as salary cap chief and no one even hints at conflict of interest. You can use performance enhancing drugs AND be over the cap and get a backdated holiday. The whole system is corrupt, why try and do everything above board when no one else who is successful does?

Anyway, I quite digressed there didn't I.

Mmm, quick search of 2020 stats. Best Bronco, line break assists, Darius Boyd. Best Bronco, try assists, Darius Boyd. Must just be because the rest of the team is shit. Mind you those stats are top 20 of 2020. Weird huh?

What a second, if he's the best of the Broncos in those stats does that mean my contention that if his team mates were better, the team would have been better? It's such a puzzle.

It's almost like DB played pretty well in 2020 but hey, THAT CANNOT BE TRUE, RIGHT?

Who cares anymore.

Darius Boyd has 1 game to go before he retires - The only Broncos 2020 stat relevant here

Who cares anymore.

Darius Boyd has 1 game to go before he retires - The only Broncos 2020 stat relevant here

Well that and the fact we will forever have a piece of wooden kitchen wear forever more, regardless of getting rid of it on Gumtree eventually.

Well that and the fact we will forever have a piece of wooden kitchen wear forever more, regardless of getting rid of it on Gumtree eventually.

Nah, can't see it happening. No one would buy it

Nah, can't see it happening. No one would buy it
I'd totally buy it. It will be the symbol that started the next decade of dominance. [emoji28][emoji25][emoji22][emoji29][emoji24]

Well, my dear old mum called her wooden spoon an attitude adjuster. She was right, too.
My mum also had such a device but she used one of those novelty salad ones with the Tiki carvings on them. We learned to behave pretty quick.

On the positive, anyone else enjoy just how shit Moses is? It's clear he's been riding on the back of Brown's work, and even against an abysmal Broncos defence, he pulled out some massive fucking clangers. He's a highlight-reel player that only wants to do the flashy shit but doesn't want to earn the right to do it. Multiple kicks dead, a massive howler of a pass in to the stands. I've never seen anyone so fucking excited to throw a no-look 3-man cut-out pass that has a maybe 10% chance of creating anything and a 90% chance of causing an error or an intercept.
Spot on mate👍
How about his cross field runs with the ball in his right palm like hes a drinks waiter.....waiting for the day someone smashes the spud.....this clown thought he was worth more than tedesco!!!
Wasnt there a rumour last year we were looking at him??? If so thats about the only positive from the club not to pursue this fuckin over rated show pony.....another darling of the nswrl journo wankfest

Unread

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Xzei
  • bert_lifts
  • Culhwch
  • Morkel
  • Manifesto
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Johnny92
  • Dee
  • The True King
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.