PRE-GAME Round 19 - Knights vs Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Probably the most excited I've been all year for a game, with a few nerves as well because it's never ideal making a host of changes.

Really keen to see how arrow goes at lock, it's been said lock is his best position and many people have said they'rd prefer him over McGuire there so this is his chance. If he hasn't yet signed with the titans I'd imagine a big performance here could see the broncos offer him a nice new upsized contract.

I've seen numerous variations of what the final line up will look like from news outlets and jorunalsists but for what it's worth the broncos updated team has thaiday staring and both marshal and kodi on the bench and sua 18th man...

Great post, pretty much said everything I'm thinking. I do not think this is a coincidence with Arrow. We all know he has talent and we have had no one cement the other starting prop position, so if Arrow plays to his potential tomorrow, he may very well end up there the week after.

Great post, pretty much said everything I'm thinking. I do not think this is a coincidence with Arrow. We all know he has talent and we have had no one cement the other starting prop position, so if Arrow plays to his potential tomorrow, he may very well end up there the week after.
I agree, he has talent but he will be surrendering the Lock position back to Moose next week. You are reading way too much into it.

It's a question of using the players on their best positions. Isaako has the energy Kahu has been lacking, and is used to the position. It's a bit of a gamble though, as the risk of screwing up at FB is higher than as winger, but hopefully he comes through with flying colours.
Not sure I completely agree with that. As someone mentioned earlier wing is an extremely important position nowadays and having a rookie out there with no wing experience could spell danger on the cross field bombs, potentially giving away repeat sets or trys. Knik playing wing against storm comes to mind when you have a guy not suited granted he's a foot shorter and was up against a giant, but still shows what can happen when a winger is off their game.

In saying that it is the knights who haven't exactly been peppering the wingers with bombs

Not sure I completely agree with that. As someone mentioned earlier wing is an extremely important position nowadays and having a rookie out there with no wing experience could spell danger on the cross field bombs, potentially giving away repeat sets or trys. Knik playing wing against storm comes to mind when you have a guy not suited granted he's a foot shorter and was up against a giant, but still shows what can happen when a winger is off their game.

In saying that it is the knights who haven't exactly been peppering the wingers with bombs
Yes, wing is an underrated position, especially defensively. But a Fullback, particularly in the Broncos system, is one of the most important players in defense, not only positioning wise, but also in terms of directing the team around and spotting potential holes and weaknesses in our defensive line.

I just had a bit of a play on the ladder predictor. Assuming we win every game except the Cows in Townsville in R26, and other results fall in our favor, we can finish as high as 3rd. 4th in a slightly less favorable outcome, but the point is the top 4 is very open to us

I just had a bit of a play on the ladder predictor. Assuming we win every game except the Cows in Townsville in R26, and other results fall in our favor, we can finish as high as 3rd. 4th in a slightly less favorable outcome, but the point is the top 4 is very open to us
Well I had a play on the ladder predictor and we could finish as high as 1st if we only just a few results fall our way:superhappythumbsup:

I would have thought that a 7-1 finish would have the Broncos higher than third. A 17-7 record will definitely snare a top 2 spot.

Wayne Bennett says there’s no risk in Anthony Milford’s early return from a shoulder injury

WAYNE Bennett insists the Broncos are not placing Anthony Milford’s long-term future in jeopardy after the star pivot was cleared to return for Saturday’s clash against the Knights.

Milford will play through the pain barrier in Newcastle when he launches his comeback against the last-placed Knights nursing a damaged shoulder that eventually requires surgery.

Maroons Origin duo Matt Gillett and Josh McGuire have been rested for the clash, but Bennett is hoping Milford can get a slice of luck and stay fit to propel the Broncos to the finals.

Johnathan Thurston ultimately failed in his brave bid to see out the season, undergoing shoulder surgery last week, but Bennett insists Milford’s injury is not as serious as that which struck the Cowboys champion.

“He’s not as bad as Johnathan Thurston,” Bennett said.

“Thurston had to have an operation, but our doctor believes Milford can get through with a bit of luck and we are chasing that luck.

“Anthony is back (for the Newcastle game), so we hope it all goes well.

“He has done everything right in rehab and he’s as fit as we can get him to go now, so it’s just a matter of getting him out there playing.

“It’s not a risk, it’s a 50-50 chance.

“The doctors say he needs an operation at the end of the season anyway. Hopefully we can get him through and if not, we’ve lost nothing.”

The grind of State of Origin has finally caught up with Gillett and McGuire, who missed Brisbane’s captain’s run yesterday after starring in Queensland’s 22-6 win in the Suncorp decider.

The Queensland pair refused to sit out Brisbane’s 30-20 defeat Canberra after Origin II, but this time they backed Bennett’s call.

“Physically and emotionally they are pretty drained,” he said.

“We have to play again next Thursday night (against the Bulldogs) so I thought it was pretty unfair to give them three games in seven days.

“You always know with the players. They didn’t even argue on this one, the first two games (after Origin I and II) they were adamant they’d play but there was no argument for this one.”

Milford will start in the halves alongside Maroons debutant Ben Hunt in a scrumbase reshuffle that will see veteran playmaker Benji Marshall oust Kodi Nikorima on the bench.

Alex Glenn and Sam Thaiday will replace Gillett and McGuire in the starting pack, while Bennett is backing dynamic Jamayne Isaako to handle his NRL debut at fullback.

“Jamayne plays fullback at Souths Logan and he is playing extremely well there,” he said. “He is young and enthusiastic and has a lot of ability. He has improved a hell of a lot since he has been here and he is starting to turn into a good young professional.

“People will enjoy watching him play. He has great speed, great energy and a high skill level so he will do well.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...y/news-story/ca397e1afbf9685d6eb9966a44538989

"It’s not a risk, it’s a 50-50 chance."

What does that mean?

What does that mean?
I'd say it's not like we're bringing him back early and risking further injury. They know he needs surgery and if he can't handle the pain barrier then it will be sooner rather than later i.e. chance rather than risk

I would have thought that a 7-1 finish would have the Broncos higher than third. A 17-7 record will definitely snare a top 2 spot.
Tend to agree.

Manly, Easts and Cronulla have really tough draws going in.....

Yes, wing is an underrated position, especially defensively. But a Fullback, particularly in the Broncos system, is one of the most important players in defense, not only positioning wise, but also in terms of directing the team around and spotting potential holes and weaknesses in our defensive line.

This is what worries me the most, especially with Gillett and McGuire out.

I certainly hope that somebody has been given the role to ensure the defence is organised on the line in particular.

Be nice to bring Milford on at 30 mins and ease him in to get confidence back and avoid early targeting. Let Bunji play early and maybe do some lock/dummy half from 30-50mins. Be nice for milf to come on and lay on some points against more tired defence.

What does that mean?
The type of injury he has can't get worse, it'll just be really painful. His rehab has got to the point where the shoulder is as good as it's going to get until he gets surgery done on it. They're playing him to see if he can handle it.

Yeah I kinda didn't get that bit at first l either. I guess he needs to play to see if he even can, because he can't injure it anymore and then it's a question of pain tolerance/management along with his related performance

I think this game will really say quiet a bit about not just our deapth but our overall attitude. Too many times through the origin period when we have stars out we just seem to go into the game satisfied with not being at our best simply because we have guys out.

This year already we've seen the storm, cowboys, sharks and roosters all put in impressive performances with key players out where in similar situations we've copped floggings. We need all 17 players whether they are simply filling in for injury or regular first graders to take responsibility for there job and compete for the whole game. None of this bullshit "we're missing this player and that player" everyone has to stand up and be counted.

Our weakened team is still superior to the knights however if we dont show up like previous occasions with big names out we could be very embarressed tonight.

I think this game will really say quiet a bit about not just our deapth but our overall attitude. Too many times through the origin period when we have stars out we just seem to go into the game satisfied with not being at our best simply because we have guys out.

This year already we've seen the storm, cowboys, sharks and roosters all put in impressive performances with key players out where in similar situations we've copped floggings. We need all 17 players whether they are simply filling in for injury or regular first graders to take responsibility for there job and compete for the whole game. None of this bullshit "we're missing this player and that player" everyone has to stand up and be counted.

Our weakened team is still superior to the knights however if we dont show up like previous occasions with big names out we could be very embarressed tonight.

Yep. We have to win and win convincingly. Every other contender has and will flog the knights. We need to do so too.

FINAL BRONCOS TEAM
2. Jamayne Isaako
1. Jordan Kahu
3. James Roberts
4. Tautau Moga
5. Jonus Pearson
21. Anthony Milford
7. Ben Hunt
8. Korbin Sims
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Adam Blair ©
11. Sam Thaiday
14. Alex Glenn
19. Jai Arrow
Interchange:
6. Benji Marshall
15. Tevita Pangai
16. Joe Ofahengaue
20. Jaydn Su’A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Stix
  • broncsgoat
  • Santa
  • john1420
  • bb_gun
  • Xzei
  • kman
  • johnny plath
  • Big Del
  • Mr Fourex
  • Culhwch
  • Payneinthehaas
  • Financeguy
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Dexter
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.