Suncorp Stadium

Thursday
Night
19:00

Rabbitohs

Team Lists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arthurs has been consistently our best winger for quite a while now. You cant ask much more than what he is giving. It will be interesting who wins between him and mariner if a centre spot opens up. Id put him ahead.

Far out man, what has Willison done wrong?
Is Kevvie just keeping him out of the spotlight??

Let the hype train die down so the media arent coming in expecting the world from him??

Even if he was put into the team, he's not coming in to play 40mins... he's getting the 17 jersey Taupau 20min role.

We've got a tough opening 5 rounds or so and he's a young guy ... you throw him in with big media pressure on him and have seasoned vets on the opposition targeting him... it could end up bad.

Our forward pack is basically the most seasoned guys in our squad... Baker is pretty inexperienced, but he's still got near 50 games under his belt.

Willison has less than that across NRL and Qcup combined (41 total).

Arthurs has been consistently our best winger for quite a while now. You cant ask much more than what he is giving. It will be interesting who wins between him and mariner if a centre spot opens up. Id put him ahead.
I'd keep Jesse on the wing, one thing I was glad Cobbo was moved into the centres because he was so prone to errors when tested under the highball, Jesse showed last season to be the complete opposite and that bomb defusal and metre gain against the Roosters last round was sublime. IMO it's upto Mariner to maintain his spot or Oates to give Kevin a reason to promote him.

I agree Arthars is our best winger but I don’t think he should play centre if it was to open up. That goes to Mariner.

The Dolphins would be stupid to not be sniffing around Oates. Bostock might end up great but he's too green. Oates would be fantastic for them.
Put him on Herbie's wing for added lols.

I hope the big goat gets back in - its not the same without him

This slow creep of Arthars turning out to be an absolute gun is interesting to watch. From being lent out to the Warriors, to coming back and filling in for injuries, to being arguably our second best player in a grand final. Are we going to see him become a genuine elite player and we'll all be like "oh, that happened"? There's been zero hype, barely even an acknowledgement by the media, probably because Walsh, Mam etc get all the love.

That would be interesting to see @Morkel.
Arthars is just a guy who goes about his business, gets the job done. Love Oatsey, there just isn’t a spot for him atm

In focusing in on that TPJ argument. I was originally against him coming back but he has done and said everything right in demonstrating he could come back. I think as a culture we are strong enough that their really isn't anything TPJ could do to deteriorate it that much. He will be dealt short term contracts and if anything doesn't work out he just gets the flick. My biggest concern with signing him again is that it will be so hard to get rid of him cause Payne would have a shit fit if he left.

In terms of going back to cup, not taking match payments etc etc. He is doing all the right things to make you think he might turn a corner. I think Taupau was a very problematic character before coming here and now he is a leader, he loves life, plays some chill, convential and handy minutes, he has become the ultimate squad member in the things that he brings. Bring Tevita in and set a certain expectation of him beyond just the football he plays and if he hasn't met that standard and some then bye, bye Tevita.

I am unfazed either way now.
Taupau has never been a problematic character. He’s a top bloke and is the big brother to all the islander boys in every team he played in. He may not be the best player but he sets a good example

This slow creep of Arthars turning out to be an absolute gun is interesting to watch. From being lent out to the Warriors, to coming back and filling in for injuries, to being arguably our second best player in a grand final. Are we going to see him become a genuine elite player and we'll all be like "oh, that happened"? There's been zero hype, barely even an acknowledgement by the media, probably because Walsh, Mam etc get all the love.
He’s good but still a long way to go before considering him as a gun. He’s solid and safe. The progression is happening though

a) He didn't exactly scream 'pick me' with his performance on the weekend (at least his stats didn't)

b) Unfortunately, he doesn't offer us something we don't have in the team right now. I.e. Taupau is probably the only player in our team that has a bit of aggression in him. he certainly shouldn't be starting, but he can offer us a Flegler type role off the bench ... Baker offers us the ability to play in the backrow, which we need right now, so we never have to move Patty from the middle again
If Baker provided that second row option then he would’ve played that last week.. Willison’s played backrow before. He reminds me of a young Tino who used to come off the bench for the storm and play on an edge and score tries

As much as I want Willison in the team now, asking a young middle forward with a history of injury to play 27 rounds plus finals is a huge ask. I think our premiership chances improve if he starts in Q-cup and joins the top 17 mid-year around origin. Or used in and out of first grade to start with. If that’s Kevvie’s logic too, I’m all for it.

Having said that, we need to win as well to bank points. So Marty only gets so many chances.
He’ll end up playing 50+ mins in Q cup against big boys anyway instead of the 20 mins Kevvie will give him. He shits on every player on our current bench tbh. Just look at his all stars performance as a starting prop. He was their best player

I think its time to start talking about Staggs. A centre on 700k a year who provides absolutely nothing in attack anymore. How do we get the best out of him? He looks the least dangerous of all our backs running

He’s good but still a long way to go before considering him as a gun. He’s solid and safe. The progression is happening though

Agree, he's not even close to elite, but he's now good enough that most of us understand why Oates isn't being picked, even though he's a fan favourite and everyone wants him in first grade.

Compared to the expectations and hype surrounding players like Kahu, Beale, etc, there has been none of that with Arthars, which is probably why he's been able to stay under the radar.

And talking hype, skill etc, last year we had Cobbo scoring crazy tries, in my mind he's backflipping over opponents and everyone is going apeshit. Whereas on the left, Arthars is going about his business, looking like he stepped on the field straight from his librarian internship, zero ego or fuss, makes his line breaks, scores his tries, and high fives his teammates with the subdued exuberance of someone who just got an answer correct at trivia night, but knows it's only question 4 of 20 so there's still a long way to go. Then trots back to his wing ready to go for Question 5.

And I mean all of that in the most positive way. There's no way he's achieving this without massive effort and dedication. It's refreshing in comparison to all the arrogant flogs who often dominate the headlines.

He’ll end up playing 50+ mins in Q cup against big boys anyway instead of the 20 mins Kevvie will give him. He shits on every player on our current bench tbh. Just look at his all stars performance as a starting prop. He was their best player

He never gets that much time in Cup- one 20–25-minute stint and one 20 stint are it.

I think its time to start talking about Staggs. A centre on 700k a year who provides absolutely nothing in attack anymore. How do we get the best out of him? He looks the least dangerous of all our backs running
Agreed. Of the current backs he’s the first one I’d move on, especially on current wage. He’d need to expect a $200k+ pay cut if he wants to stay, especially if Cobbo can improve at centre. I can see Cobbo and Mariner as our centres, with Arthars and perhaps an Israel Leota on wing.

Honestly, I do not like Baker in 17 especially, at the expense of Willison.
Also, I’m starting to wonder the role of Kobe. Doesn’t play more minutes and not much of an impact when he’s on. Either gets injured/ pushed back by opposing teams when ball in hand, runs sideways. Wish he had bigger body.

The thing that I notice between Baker & Kobe is - one has body while the other have ‘some’ footy smarts. Wish they both have everything a bench rotation should have with mongrel. Speaking of mongrel, with Flegler gone, I reckon most of our guys are “gentlemen” type.

Reckon this have been opined by wider forum members that is — compared to last year, I’m skeptical about our bench this year. I’m aware that we’re just done with R1 but apart from Willison, I do not know if there are options. I hope we find 1 or 2 from our affiliates from Q-cup.
Baker had a late start to pre season after surgery .
I guess Kevvie knows what he can do and is willing to let him grow into his job this season .
Willison fan here . Must be somethin Kevvie and his assistants want Willison to show them before they unleash him or an undisclosed injury ?

I am really disappointed that Hunt isn't on the bench. Kevie basically admitted that putting Patty out on the edge was a mistake and that they would look at it. With Flegler gone, there isn't enough power in the middle to take up the slack if Patty isn't there. Unless Kevie now plans to move Baker to an edge if we have another injury there but why didn't he do that in the first place and he doesn't look mobile enough laterally to play on an edge.

I trust Kev to make the correct call when it comes to unleashing Wilison into the team. Patience is a virtue and Kev has a really good track record of bring players in when they are ready and not when us supporters deem they are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• BroncosMan
  • Old Mate
  • Broncorob
  • Mr Fourex
  • barker
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Lostboy
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Broncos Maestro
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • mystico
  • Bucking Beads
  • Wendall Taylor
... and 28 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.