Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Post Match Discussion

I didn't see anything at all in his facial expression that indicated displeasure nor in his general demeanour . I am however sick of seeing that stupid number ten on his back, bloody waste of a talent when we have plenty of others to do the donkey work. Great effort last night, absolutely made my weekend for me and although I want someone else to do the 5/8 job Hoffman saved the match in the dying seconds, well done son !

Some people in this world just don't deserve to live. Thurston gave a young boy his head gear at full time in the Broncos game, and a woman snatched it off him and took off. Good thing they managed to cheer him up by giving him free tickets to the Broncos game this week and a signed jersey by Hoffman who is his favourite player.

Josh Hoffman Puts Smile Back On Shattered Fan's Face - River 949

Some people in this world just don't deserve to live. Thurston gave a young boy his head gear at full time in the Broncos game, and a woman snatched it off him and took off. Good thing they managed to cheer him up by giving him free tickets to the Broncos game this week and a signed jersey by Hoffman who is his favourite player.

Josh Hoffman Puts Smile Back On Shattered Fan's Face - River 949

Heard that on the radio this morning. The Cowboys would do well to track this chick down & give her a lifetime ban. JT doesn't need to be as generous as he is, people like this just shit on that generosity. The whole 'stuffing it up her shirt' just smells of a lifetime of selfishness & contempt for other people.

Top bloke he is. He could just be one of those celebrities that couldn't give a rats ass. It's a good thing he cares enough to do something about it.

Hope they name and shame the skank.

Watching the replay as we speak...

Liked our start to the game. Boys made good metres through the middle and whenever Hunt would go wide, I thought he threw some great passes to give Gillett, Copley & Reed room. Try was well constructed, if not a little soft. That effort from Hall was pretty poor, he needed to cover Taumalolo who was in the process of sliding but he was too slow on the uptake. In saying that, that's the reason why us fans considered Barba such a neat pick-up because of the doubt he puts in the opposition & Gillett is a great hole runner when given direction. 6-0 Broncos.

Naturally as a Broncos fan, I'm pretty miffed with the JT try. I'm fine with the Tamou pass, difficult to judge on the angle we had but looked flat from the coverage. What annoyed me was the timely tackle five penalty. The referees had two obvious opportunities to award Brisbane a penalty (holding down on Macca, holding back and then hand on the ball on Hunt) but they ignored that and awarded what was really a soft penalty. As for the try itself, in hindsight, Gillett got himself into no-mans land and really should have covered Tamou. 6 all.

The rest of the half was a tussel with the Cowboys spending a fair portion inside the Broncos half but being unable to find the right play. I'm willing to accept that on a couple of occasions, the Cowboys showed why they have yet to really stamp themselves as a premiership force because they made a couple of silly mistakes before JT could weave his magic, but on other occasions, I thought our defence did a wonderful job on Thursto and I thought both Reed + Maranta came up with some very important plays to get us out of trouble. Maranta's work under the high ball & Reed's quick reflexes in particular deserve special mention.

Eventually the Broncos were able to regain the lead 36 minutes in through a a well placed grubber from Hoffman to Vidot who scored his second in as many weeks. I thought Macca was the star of this set, firstly to get the set rolling from a quick tap then to back up, take a difficult offload from Kennedy and find Hoffman who summed the situation up nicely. 10-6 and that was the score that would take us into half-time.

Couple of notes on the first half...

- McGuire actually tackled a kicker twice in this game. In the first half, he covered up Parker's miss on Lui but the tackle was absolutely copy-book.

- Noticed a bit of gamesmanship from Winterstein. Maranta got to one of Hunt's kicks, batted it back to Gillett and for his trouble, copped a cheap shoulder in the back from Winterstein. Don't think it was a shoulder charge but wasn't nice. Also milked the hell out of a supposed push from Maranta. From the clip shown, there didn't appear to be too much in it but the refs fell for it hook line and sinker.

- The reason why Parker came back so early from his stint on the sideline is because Thaiday had to come off. If you watch the game back, you'll notice Thaiday hits the ground pretty hard head first after a pretty poor play from McCullough.

Watching the replay as we speak...

Liked our start to the game. Boys made good metres through the middle and whenever Hunt would go wide, I thought he threw some great passes to give Gillett, Copley & Reed room. Try was well constructed, if not a little soft. That effort from Hall was pretty poor, he needed to cover Taumalolo who was in the process of sliding but he was too slow on the uptake. In saying that, that's the reason why us fans considered Barba such a neat pick-up because of the doubt he puts in the opposition & Gillett is a great hole runner when given direction. 6-0 Broncos.

Naturally as a Broncos fan, I'm pretty miffed with the JT try. I'm fine with the Tamou pass, difficult to judge on the angle we had but looked flat from the coverage. What annoyed me was the timely tackle five penalty. The referees had two obvious opportunities to award Brisbane a penalty (holding down on Macca, holding back and then hand on the ball on Hunt) but they ignored that and awarded what was really a soft penalty. As for the try itself, in hindsight, Gillett got himself into no-mans land and really should have covered Tamou. 6 all.

The rest of the half was a tussel with the Cowboys spending a fair portion inside the Broncos half but being unable to find the right play. I'm willing to accept that on a couple of occasions, the Cowboys showed why they have yet to really stamp themselves as a premiership force because they made a couple of silly mistakes before JT could weave his magic, but on other occasions, I thought our defence did a wonderful job on Thursto and I thought both Reed + Maranta came up with some very important plays to get us out of trouble. Maranta's work under the high ball & Reed's quick reflexes in particular deserve special mention.

Eventually the Broncos were able to regain the lead 36 minutes in through a a well placed grubber from Hoffman to Vidot who scored his second in as many weeks. I thought Macca was the star of this set, firstly to get the set rolling from a quick tap then to back up, take a difficult offload from Kennedy and find Hoffman who summed the situation up nicely. 10-6 and that was the score that would take us into half-time.

Couple of notes on the first half...

- McGuire actually tackled a kicker twice in this game. In the first half, he covered up Parker's miss on Lui but the tackle was absolutely copy-book.

- Noticed a bit of gamesmanship from Winterstein. Maranta got to one of Hunt's kicks, batted it back to Gillett and for his trouble, copped a cheap shoulder in the back from Winterstein. Don't think it was a shoulder charge but wasn't nice. Also milked the hell out of a supposed push from Maranta. From the clip shown, there didn't appear to be too much in it but the refs fell for it hook line and sinker.

- The reason why Parker came back so early from his stint on the sideline is because Thaiday had to come off. If you watch the game back, you'll notice Thaiday hits the ground pretty hard head first after a pretty poor play from McCullough.

I agree the thurston penalty was a refs error. Also on impeding the chasers of the kick, happened constantly on this game. Nothing irks me more than a defender changing his position to impede the chasers. No eyes for the ball. Should be penalised.

Second half was a pretty disappointing half from a Broncos perspective. Cowboys came out the blocks with renewed vigor and ate threw the metres extremely easily. Meanwhile, it seemed like the Broncos were on the back foot for the first 14 or so. What really disappointed me here was Macca's effort. First he put through a silly chip kick, compounded it with a dumb penalty and then missed a tackle on Tariq Sims. It was a bad mark on an otherwise good evening from him.

Fortunately the Cowboys started making some silly errors, throwing passes that didn't need to be made, unforced errors deep inside their own half and just some poor options when the game was for the taking.

It shouldn't have been so difficult for the Broncos to score but they just couldn't get a roll on and the play was very predictible. When JT blocked Barba's grubber, the Cows should have run away with it, but in a bizarre move, JT ignored the easy over-lap out-wide and decided to kick it back towards the post where it was easily gathered by Barba. Bit of a brain fart and that may have been the difference.

To make matters worse, the Cowboys compounded the error a set later when Lui was rushed and Morgan was forced to put through a hurried kick which bought the Broncos precious field possession. From that field position, Corey Parker takes it upon himself to find his key playmaker who tips it onto Thaiday who surges down the fringe. The rest as they say is history, well worked, good vision frm the half, good line from the centre and good support from the hooker.

Overall, not a pretty second half but to their credit the boys hung in there and certain players were really able to stand up and take charge when the team really needed them. Hopefully it means something come the business end of the season.

Okay then? Thanks for sharing that.

Look, I'm not trying to be condescending with the post, just raising a few interesting points that may have been forgotten in the wash-up of the game.

Okay then? Thanks for sharing that.

Look, I'm not trying to be condescending with the post, just raising a few interesting points that may have been forgotten in the wash-up of the game.

I appreciate the write up Pete. Even though I have watched the game a few times you pointed out things that I had missed, a great read as always.

Probably helpful for people to remember that some people might appreciate things you don't, if you don't like reading something someone has written, just don't fucking read it

l actually found it quite a balanced analysis BP, I enjoyed the read. I actually thought reading the heavy criticism of Hunt by others after the game whether I was watching the same game. He wasn't great overall, but I thought there was a marked improvement in both his and Hoffman's game over the Dogs game.

l actually found it quite a balanced analysis BP, I enjoyed the read. I actually thought reading the heavy criticism of Hunt by others after the game whether I was watching the same game. He wasn't great overall, but I thought there was a marked improvement in both his and Hoffman's game over the Dogs game.

Cheers mate.

Admittedly I was one of them until I caught the replay. I actually thought he played well in the first half, competed well off the ball, couple of good passes which gave his strike weapons move to operate and even a few good kicks. Sans the miss kick for Barba, it was a perfectly acceptable half of footy from a first grader.

Second half obviously wasn't as good but he didn't receive a lot of support and when the game was there to be won, he did something JT couldn't do and read the situation perfectly. That should say it all right there.

Hopefully next time I won't be such a slowpoke.

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.