Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Post Match Discussion

Another scrappy win but I will take scrappy every day of the week if it means two points. There are some good signs though especially defensively. I don't see anyone bagging Steve Kearney such is the fickleness of this forum. Add a halfback, coach and a couple decent props and we have a contender. At the moment, it is just a team who might scrape into the playoffs but only if Barba's dodgy ankle holds up.

I shouted to Kearney to teach them to tackle around the legs, does that help? I love the way we wrapped up the ball last night over the Bulldogs game but they keep being able to pump their legs.

Few points only because this place has dead set turned into negativeville.

Hunt didn't have a great kicking game, granted. But his defence was excellent. He stopped Tamololololololol every time and helped stop a try one on one on our line against Linnett I think it was. He read the play beautifully, slid behind his team mates and made the crucial tackle. His involvement in the match winning try was also nothing to forget. He saw Thurston had made the previous tackle and was slow to get back in the line, drew his man and threw a nice cut out ball to put Copley on the outside of Thurston which lead to the Macca try. He came through with the game on the line when we needed a big play. Last year he went missing. Last night he was the one coming up with the big play to win us the game. I'm happy to have him around all season. I've said it before. I would give him the whole season to prove himself.

You were a Wallace apologist....right?

Yes it was a very nice pass to put us in front to win the game ......unfortunately the other 78 mins were pretty ordinary from Hunt

....again.

Overall a pretty impressive performance from the boys. Our forwards were great, except for a couple brain snaps from Lowrie and Gillet making a bad read on Jt for his try.

Thaiday was inspiring. Ben Hannant seem to bend the line with every hit up....Parker was his usual high quality self. Glenn was very good I thought.

Is Barba injured?......he certainly played like it in the 2nd half. Too quiet for mine.

Very impressed with Vidot so far. Maranta must be having a laugh at all his haters now. I thought Hoffman went OK...or at least better this week than last.

Hunt was again disappointing.

His and McCullough's passing games have to be amongst the most inconsistent in the NRL.

Roosters next week........I can't see any reason why we couldn't beat them.

Did anyone else see Parker when he came off? He looked mega pissed.

He looked like he wanted to go into that coaches box and rip Griffin's throat out, or the throat of someone else. I'll upload a video of it.

Last edited:
Agreed....Hoffman pulled off a couple of very good defensive saves.

and then there was that kick he put through.....

At the very least, Hoffman was an improvement from his efforts last week and that's all we can ask of a Centre/Winger playing 5/8. If he continues to improve then who knows, maybe we are a genuine top 8 side which I would be stoked with this season, as bad as that sounds.

You were a Wallace apologist....right?

Yes it was a very nice pass to put us in front to win the game ......unfortunately the other 78 mins were pretty ordinary from Hunt

....again.

No, I wasn't. And I, and the rest of this forum, can appreciate your utter hatred for Peter Wallace, believe me. For the record, I thought Wallace was an ordinary Halfback and should've been given the boot after Hunt came into first grade so he could learn the craft beside Lockyer.

As I said, Hunt had a poor kicking game, but the other aspects of his game were acceptable, IMO, and, he stepped up when it counted. That to me, means a great deal.

I'm surprised this hasn't garnered more praise to be honest.

It was a sensational piece of defending.

If they were anything like me live, they were too busy collecting their breaths. :laugh:

I swear the two points flashed before my eyes when JT gathered that ball, it would have been the perfect finish for them but thankfully it wasn't to be.

But yeah, caught it on replay and definitely gave credit. Huge play.

As for Hunt, kicking wasn't his only problem. His long passing game is fairly inaccurate too. Been twice now he's thrown it behind Hoffman who's looking to run onto it and I believe another went behind Copley and co.

He's got a lot to work on. However, he's shown some good signs and he's got a tough job, those points should be acknowledged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone else see Parker when he came off? He looked mega pissed.

He looked like he wanted to go into that coaches box and rip Griffin's throat out, or the throat of someone else. I'll upload a video of it.

Please do!

Might have just been my perception, but I thought we made several interchanges quite late in the first half. Seemed like a waste to me, but probably a side effect of having less actual reserves in rotation?

No, I wasn't. And I, and the rest of this forum, can appreciate your utter hatred for Peter Wallace, believe me. For the record, I thought Wallace was an ordinary Halfback and should've been given the boot after Hunt came into first grade so he could learn the craft beside Lockyer.

As I said, Hunt had a poor kicking game, but the other aspects of his game were acceptable, IMO, and, he stepped up when it counted. That to me, means a great deal.

Apologies for lumping you in with the Wallace fanbots......I can tell now that I was hitting below the belt.

Yes Hunt did have another extremely poor kicking game. To add to that, his general passing game was shit as well (although McC is directly responsible for some of it)

His organising skills are non existent, as are his 5th tackle play options. (it's almost as if his hiding on the 5th tackle so he doesn't have to get involved)

Generally he needs to step up.......with the ball in his hand, defensively he's fine but do we really need another Peter Wallace? We are badly still lacking direction in attack.

Meh, nothing to write home about in that Parker clip. He wasn't carrying on like Webby was that one time or Farah against the Sea Eagles in R3 of 2013.

Meh, nothing to write home about in that Parker clip. He wasn't carrying on like Webby was that one time or Farah against the Sea Eagles in R3 of 2013.
Agree. Pretty sure it would have been a scheduled interchange. He was back on four or five minutes later for Thaiday.

Active Now

• bb_gun
  • Jazza
  • ChewThePhatt
  • MrRobot
  • Browny
  • Stix
  • Xzei
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Broncorob
  • Harry Sack
  • ivanhungryjak
  • LGH
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Fozz
  • upthehorse
  • Adammacca
  • Galah
  • Griffo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Jedhead
... and 25 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.