Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Round 2 Team...

People are actually naming Maranta in their sides now!!! How has BHQ not exploded? :P
:laugh: He was actually awesome. He dived for a try!!! :shocked:

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Jake Granville
10. Ben Hannant
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Alex Glenn
13. Corey Parker

14. Martin Kennedy
15. Matt Gillett
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. Kodi Nikorima

McCullogh suspended, or just dropped outright ?

:laugh: He was actually awesome. He dived for a try!!! :shocked:

No doubt it was his best game, in both defence and attack.. I just love seeing when players BHQ hated turn it up. Fingers crossed he can keep that confidence.

McCullogh suspended, or just dropped outright ?

McCullough suspended.

Lowrie out through concussion.

Nikorima in there because I have a feeling we will be chasing points and to get him some experience.

I don't like the idea of benching Gillett. While I thought Glenn played really well, I thought Gillett contributed more, and a fresh Glenn would make a better interchange.

At the same time, except for any suspensions, I doubt we will see any changes, and unless Hoffman radically changes, I feel a sense of dread about next week. His lack of vision at FB has carried over to five eighth.

I also want to see more aggression in defence more consistently. Last night, I thought in the 2nd half we let the Dogs forwards run too much and offload way too much. Our defence is still too slow to move up and HIT in the middle third.

I would want Barba at 6

Come to think of it, I reckon Copley, on last night's performance would make an excellent FB

Last edited:

I just don't understand Hoffman's problem, how hard can it be to just pass? He seems so hesitant to pass, I just don't get it.

Barba to Five Eighth, Hoffman to fullback.

I know I know, but with the way Barba played tonight while attacking in the Dogs half, he seems primed to jump into the 6. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Strasser given a run either.

I have a bad feeling that confirmation bias will take over though and Griffin will leave Hoffman there because "we won, so it must've worked."

I think people need to get over the Hoffman at FB debate. He's shown that he's pretty hopeless there, it's only him and his manager that seem to believe people saying he's an excellent FB.

While Barba could work in 5/8, it was so absolutely refreshing last night watching the Broncos play with a real FB. His positioning, his kicking, his kick returns, just everything scream talent. We need him up the back IMO.

Hoffman is very quickly, in my mind, running out of places to play. I honestly don't know where I would play him. I mean, I'd be happy to give him Reed's jersey until Reed remembers how to play football properly. But Even our wings are fine at the moment.

Of course, this is all based on one game.

I think the Broncos need to stop bending over for players. It was a terrible decision to put Hoffman at 5/8, and if we take away the best FB we've had in who knows how long, it's just another terrible decision to appease the whinging of a player who thinks he's more than he is.

I think people need to get over the Hoffman at FB debate. He's shown that he's pretty hopeless there, it's only him and his manager that seem to believe people saying he's an excellent FB.

While Barba could work in 5/8, it was so absolutely refreshing last night watching the Broncos play with a real FB. His positioning, his kicking, his kick returns, just everything scream talent. We need him up the back IMO.

Hoffman is very quickly, in my mind, running out of places to play. I honestly don't know where I would play him. I mean, I'd be happy to give him Reed's jersey until Reed remembers how to play football properly. But Even our wings are fine at the moment.

Of course, this is all based on one game.

I think the Broncos need to stop bending over for players. It was a terrible decision to put Hoffman at 5/8, and if we take away the best FB we've had in who knows how long, it's just another terrible decision to appease the whinging of a player who thinks he's more than he is.

I was staunchly against moving Barba until last night. Now, I think he is our only option for 5/8. I cannot see Nikorima cutting it at this level on what I have seen of him although I guess I wouldn't complain too much if he gets a run, given Barba IS so good from the back.

Hoffman is a good ball runner, and I don't think we would lose that much with him at FB, with Barba calling the shots in the middle.

I also am warming to the idea of Copley as a very good FB

Was Reed really that bad last night? I didn't think so - thought he did ok

In any case, I suppose it's all academic but fun to speculate because going on Hook's history, Hoffman will be wearing the 6 for a while longer, until we are toast for this season which won't take too long on the way we FAIL to control the middle. Our halves pairing last night was by and large, so ordinary

Credit where it's due, we won that game on defence last night, and had we used a smaller 6 there is no way we would have held our line as well as we did. Yes, Williams barrelled through Hoffman for that try, but it was more a case of the team allowing him to get 1 on 1 than anything else. I'm willing to experiment with Hoffman defending at 6 and Barba attacking there. Most of Barba's attack last night was at second receiver and he did far batter than Hunt or anyone last year really. Really had the defenders in two minds.

Team must stay the same. I thought round one was something to build on , not something to dismantle.

Team must stay the same. I thought round one was something to build on , not something to dismantle.

Inclined to agree. Still think Hoffman is not the answer in the halves but we're skinny on options right now. Also make sure our bench spots are utilised.

Inclined to agree. Still think Hoffman is not the answer in the halves but we're skinny on options right now. Also make sure our bench spots are utilised.

In my book, Hoffman has one more shot at 5/8.

We need a play maker in the middle, not a running outside back/FB who still shows no creativity or vision.

Don't people remember how good it was when Lockyer was at 5/8?

How well has the team gone since he retired?

Last edited:

1 barba
2 vidot
3 reed
4 copes
5 maranta
6 hoffman
7 hunt
8 mcguire
9 mcc
10 kennedy
11 glenn
12 thaiday
13 parker

14 hannant
15 gillett
16 lowrie if fine

not bothering to name a 17 since griffin wont use him.

we need bigger men to start the game. against tamou and scott we NEED kennedy out there to start up the middle.

why he only played 19 minutes last night is beyond me.

other than that i wouldnt change the side. hoffman at 6 is no good but no other options. taumololo and tariq sims are going to cause havoc on our edges. defense is going to matter so you cant just throw a rookie kid in there.

No doubt it was his best game, in both defence and attack.. I just love seeing when players BHQ hated turn it up. Fingers crossed he can keep that confidence.

He will be back to being Mr Gumby next week.

Assuming Macca cops a week from the judiciary (hoping he doesn't though): Are we comfortable with Granville @ 9 for the full 80 (or the greater part)? I like Jake as an impact player later in games, but not sure if he's the right fit.

Assuming Macca cops a week from the judiciary (hoping he doesn't though): Are we comfortable with Granville @ 9 for the full 80 (or the greater part)? I like Jake as an impact player later in games, but not sure if he's the right fit.

I'm going to laugh at your name every time you post. Best username ever. I agree that Granville won't last 80.

As for the bench, to be honest we could get away with a 2 man bench. The 3 main props could easily handle the rotation between them, they can all do big minutes. The other bench spot goes to one if the 4 main backrowers. That leaves one spot for a workhorse utility to cover for injury or fatigue, and one prop purely for impact should it be required.

mcc wont get suspended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Astro
  • bb_gun
  • Behold
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • MrRobot
  • Scorchie
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.