Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I feel there should be some changes to the team for next week. I feel Hannant should start with McGuire as Parker moves back to Lock. I feel perhaps Hook went with the round one team to slowly introduce the bigger guys in to the season, while starting with the more mobile, fitter guys.

One major change is in the halves. At this stage Hunt needs help as he himself is a rookie and is relatively inexperienced calling the shots. Not many rookie halves at other clubs are given the burden of running the team by themselves in their first full season as a half.

Strasser would fill that role perfectly. He won't overplay his hand, but will pass to Barba whenever Barba want's it, he can create an opportunity for his outside men, or even for himself if he spots an opportunity. He's a composed player and can carry out a simple gameplan, he just needs to be given a shot.

Nikorima isn't ready and although he is that x factor type player, he can seriously go missing throughout the 80 mins, something Hunt doesn't need.

Reed did nothing, whereas Hoffman in running the ball and in defense did some good things. Getting him closer to the action did look good and hence should play at left centre. He'd form a lethal attacking combo on that side with Vidot, and having Barba and Hunt feeding him the ball can only be a positive.

I'd also put Hala on for Wallace, as Hala's 10-15 mins would be more effective than Wallace's zero minutes.

My team would be:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Hoffman
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (C)

14. Lowrie/Granville
15. Gillett
16. Kennedy
17. Hala

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Round 2 Team...

Barba to Five Eighth, Hoffman to fullback.

I know I know, but with the way Barba played tonight while attacking in the Dogs half, he seems primed to jump into the 6. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Strasser given a run either.

I have a bad feeling that confirmation bias will take over though and Griffin will leave Hoffman there because "we won, so it must've worked."

Barba to Five Eighth, Hoffman to fullback.

I know I know, but with the way Barba played tonight while attacking in the Dogs half, he seems primed to jump into the 6. Having said that, I wouldn't mind seeing Strasser given a run either.

I have a bad feeling that confirmation bias will take over though and Griffin will leave Hoffman there because "we won, so it must've worked."

Problem with Barba in the halves and Hoffman at fullback is that the creativity isn't really going to change much, with the only differences being Barba kicking a bit more, doing more work in defence and not returning the ball at all. Hoffman will still blow attacking plays in a key position.

Problem with Barba in the halves and Hoffman at fullback is that the creativity isn't really going to change much, with the only differences being Barba kicking a bit more, doing more work in defence and not returning the ball at all. Hoffman will still blow attacking plays in a key position.

I can see what you're saying, but we have a bit of a crisis of choices when it comes to our wingers now, after Maranta and Vidot put in solid performances. We have them, Hoffman, Oates and Yow Yeh all vying for Wing spots. Granted, Maranta only had one good game, but if he keeps up this form, we're going to have to make tough decisions.

I can see what you're saying, but we have a bit of a crisis of choices when it comes to our wingers now, after Maranta and Vidot put in solid performances. We have them, Hoffman, Oates and Yow Yeh all vying for Wing spots. Granted, Maranta only had one good game, but if he keeps up this form, we're going to have to make tough decisions.

First decision - Lowrie out, Oates in (as a 2nd rower)
However, by the time Oates is back from injury, Lowrie may have already been replaced, so this first decision might be a moot point anyway

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley

5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker
14. Granville/Cullen - a three forward/one utility bench is better than a three forward/no utility bench.
15. Gillett
16. Kennedy
17. Hala

Granville or Cullen on the basis that with our currently available players there is little to no value in having a fourth bench forward, but god damn we need to sign some depth at hooker. If McCullough goes down we are screwed, and I don't even rate McCullough that highly.

My Rd 2 team:

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba (no one I can see who can organize and control the middle, and remain as deadly as he can be at the back)
7. Hunt - if he doesn't lift soon we are toast
8. Hannant
9. Macca
10. McGuire
11. Gillett
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (I now agree lock is his best position)

Glenn
Kennedy
Wallace
Lowrie

Last edited:

Can see Macca getting cited for his high shot. Hopefully, he'll be able to play with a guilty plea.

Can see Macca getting cited for his high shot. Hopefully, he'll be able to play with a guilty plea.

It shouldn't be a problem. Macca has a pretty good record.

The Bulldogs player was falling into it. Surely the judiciary could see that there wasn't much Macca could do. Even the ref thought that.

It'll be an unchanged side barring injury I would expect. I don't see Hook changing where Parker plays even though he should.

It'll be an unchanged side barring injury I would expect. I don't see Hook changing where Parker plays even though he should.

I thought it worked out. Gillett was brilliant last night at lock. He made plenty of metres and I thought his defense was superb compared to his efforts last year. I can't see him changing it.

I thought it worked out. Gillett was brilliant last night at lock. He made plenty of metres and I thought his defense was superb compared to his efforts last year. I can't see him changing it.

I am not sure brilliant is entirely accurate. It is just wrong that we paid good cash for Kennedy only to play him for 19 minutes.

Another thing I find idiotic is that Parker is our goal kicker and he isn't going to be an 80 min player.

I am not sure brilliant is entirely accurate. It is just wrong that we paid good cash for Kennedy only to play him for 19 minutes.

Another thing I find idiotic is that Parker is our goal kicker and he isn't going to be an 80 min player.
Just reminds me of Hala all over again, getting 7 minutes with fitness as an excuse. Kennedy has proven he can play a solid 60 minutes a game and is fit as they come for a prop yet he gets 19 minutes. Our supposedly highest paid forward who didn't even get 20 minutes.

I'd hate to bang on about my thoughts on Hook but his bench use has always pissed me off, he just doesn't get the best out of the bench players he has. If Lowrie is only coming on for 9 fucking minutes, then lets use Hala in that role instead, Lowrie is a workhorse, not a 10 minute impact player.

Last edited:

Just reminds me of Hala all over again, getting 7 minutes with fitness as an excuse. Kennedy has proven he can play a solid 60 minutes a game and is fit as they come for a prop yet he gets 19 minutes. Our supposedly highest paid forward who didn't even get 20 minutes.

I'd hate to bang on about my thoughts on Hook but his bench use has always ****ed me off, he just doesn't get the best out of the bench players he has. If Lowrie is only coming on for 9 ****ing minutes, then lets use Hala in that role instead, Lowrie is a workhorse, not a 10 minute impact player.

Lowrie got knocked out.

Lowrie got knocked out.
That's true, and I actually hope that's the only reason he didn't come back on and not because Hook only wanted him for 10-15 anyway. Our entire bench played 70 minutes between them, and that's with Kennedy and Hannant both being big minute players.

I think the solution is benching one of Gillett or Glenn, tough decision on who but I think Gillett is a better bench player than Glenn so maybe that has to happen.

1. Ben Barba
2. Daniel Vidot
3. Jack Reed
4. Dale Copley
5. Lachlan Maranta
6. Josh Hoffman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Josh McGuire
9. Jake Granville
10. Ben Hannant
11. Sam Thaiday
12. Alex Glenn
13. Corey Parker

14. Martin Kennedy
15. Matt Gillett
16. Jarrod Wallace
17. Kodi Nikorima

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Spoon
  • marw
  • broncsgoat
  • Locky's Left Boot
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.