Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt Macca will be suspended. i just saw it again and the Bulldogs player is low to the ground or falling. at worst grade 1 careless. which means with his good record he will be free to play with and early guilty plea

Last edited:
Re: Round 2 Team...

I just don't understand Hoffman's problem, how hard can it be to just pass? He seems so hesitant to pass, I just don't get it.

Tunnel vision... only works if you're a winger looking for the tryline.

I feel there should be some changes to the team for next week. I feel Hannant should start with McGuire as Parker moves back to Lock. I feel perhaps Hook went with the round one team to slowly introduce the bigger guys in to the season, while starting with the more mobile, fitter guys.

One major change is in the halves. At this stage Hunt needs help as he himself is a rookie and is relatively inexperienced calling the shots. Not many rookie halves at other clubs are given the burden of running the team by themselves in their first full season as a half.

Strasser would fill that role perfectly. He won't overplay his hand, but will pass to Barba whenever Barba want's it, he can create an opportunity for his outside men, or even for himself if he spots an opportunity. He's a composed player and can carry out a simple gameplan, he just needs to be given a shot.

Nikorima isn't ready and although he is that x factor type player, he can seriously go missing throughout the 80 mins, something Hunt doesn't need.

Reed did nothing, whereas Hoffman in running the ball and in defense did some good things. Getting him closer to the action did look good and hence should play at left centre. He'd form a lethal attacking combo on that side with Vidot, and having Barba and Hunt feeding him the ball can only be a positive.

I'd also put Hala on for Wallace, as Hala's 10-15 mins would be more effective than Wallace's zero minutes.

My team would be:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Hoffman
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Strasser
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Hannant
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker (C)

14. Lowrie/Granville
15. Gillett
16. Kennedy
17. Hala

I don't understand how you fix a rookie 7 by partnering him with a rookie 6?

1. Barba
6. McCullough
7. Nikorima
9. Hunt

Let's go crazy.

Team must stay the same. I thought round one was something to build on , not something to dismantle.

Just be prepared to change your tune after watching what the Cowboys will do to the Raiders tonight..

Implying that partnering him with a guy who's never made a good pass or done a decent kick in his life is going to help him either.

I'd say Hoffman is more of a rookie 5/8 then either Strasser or Niko, seriously I can't think of any one who could be a worse 5/8. You can't have a 5/8 who doesn't know how to pass, even Hodges more or less said his ball playing is awful.

Look guys, I don't think we're going to see any drastic changes, at least until Hodges & Kahu are back from injury.

1. Hoffman
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Barba
7. Hunt
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Parker (c)
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. Hannant
15. Kennedy
16. Hala
17. J.Wallace

This is the team I'm expecting to be named, Lowrie out due to concussion, if McCullough gets suspended, replace him with Granville.

And if they did more than likely you'd be contributing to 10000 pages of Nikorima is rubbish thread today saying how you never wanted him and how he is rubbish and should never get picked again.

Well you never know until you try.

I am of the belief that Hunt and Hoffman can work, they may have just had a bad game (although they definitely need to improve their kicking game) and I am willing to the combination a few more weeks to prosper and hopefully show you negative nancies you were wrong.

Well at least you could expect him to pass, like once.

I think your missing the point... By all means Strasser is a rookie in his own right, but out all of the the contenders for a halves spot, Strasser has the most experience in terms of directing the team around the field. His time in the QLD Cup would greatly benefit the team, and Hunt in particular as its the closest thing to the actual NRL.

In a way Strasser has more experience of directing a team around the park as a half, than even Hunt himself. Hunt didn't get the benefit of time in QCup, and instead his development was hampered with appearances as a makeshift hooker. Strasser played the most part of the season in the halves for Redcliffe and did a solid job.

Strasser's style of play is what we need which would greatly relieve some of the pressure off Hunt. He can play to the structure and just pass it to his outside man and put in attacking kicks. Hoffman didn't pass to his outside backs, but Strasser could create opportunities for them. He would really compliment Hunt, Barba and McCullough.

Nikorima at this stage is not quite ready and
I feel will just go missing over the 80 mins. Despite being a bit of an x factor type player, he needs to develop more in the NYC/Q Cup.

I think Hoffman could work at five-eighth given more time, however, just not at this stage when Hunt is only finding his feet in the NRL. Hoffman would be a great ball runner at five-eighth if we had an NRL hardened halfback with plenty of experience.

At this stage though, we need our halves to create space, and Hunt needs help. We seem to forget he has only been given a shot in his favoured halfback position in first grade after about 5 years, and like any rookie, they can't run the team on their own to begin with. All rookie halves have a more experienced half partner taking the pressure off of them, but unfortunately Hunt doesn't have that luxury.

Hunt has good instinct, but needs time to play consistently. But to do that, he needs someone to support him in the play making responsibilities. Hunt will improve, but he shouldn't be the only play making half at this stage of his career.

I'd move Hunt back to the left side, where he developed a good combination and Strasser on the right. I'd still want them to rove around, rather than be stationed on their individual sides of the field.

Last edited:
Well said bazza, those are my thoughts as well.

Just be prepared to change your tune after watching what the Cowboys will do to the Raiders tonight..
My tune will change when we have some new musicians to choose for the band.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Midean
  • marw
  • Maroon4life
  • broncos4life
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Browny
  • GCBRONCO
  • Jedhead
  • Manifesto
  • Swordfish
  • Fozz
  • lynx000
  • Cavalo
  • broncoscope
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.