Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brett

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Jul 27, 2013
Hunt should have been brought straight into Halfback 4 years ago and partnered with Lockyer for 2 years. 2 years under Lockyer in his preferred position and he's a completely different player and this conversation is about needing a 5/8 to partner the experienced Ben Hunt. But, I digress...

I don't think we need to throw all of the toys out of the cot just yet. There were enough positive signs the other night to build on. Barba shouldn't be #6. For the simple reason that it puts him in the front defensive line where he's a total liability and he's about 3 inches in height and 10kgs down on Hoffman. You leave Hoffman there for his size and his defence and you let Barba play as a 5/8 in attack, unencumbered by the defensive workload of the front line.

My team:

1. Barba
2. Vidot
3. Reed
4. Copley
5. Maranta
6. Hoffman
7. Hunt

8. McGuire
9. Macca
10. Kennedy
11. Thaiday
12. Glenn
13. Parker

14. Gillett
15. Hannant
16. Hala
17. Nikorima

Seeing as though we don't want to use a 17th man for fear of being exposed in defence, well, what's a better defence than a strong attack? Throw Nikorima in there at say the 30 minute mark and tell him to play his natural game - take the line on and have a go. Then again around the 65 minute mark depending on the situation of the game.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
If only we had Wallace.

mj-laughing1.gif

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
The man that has broken our hearts more than any other for the cowboys is no longer with them, Mango. We have always seemed to do a reasonable job on JT and I suspect Taumolo is the man most likely to break our hearts this time

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Why is Hoffman the best option? He has no passing game, and even if Strasser needed work on his kicking, it simply cannot be worse than Hoffy's!
He's the best option because he has experience at this level albeit not in this position and is less likely to be a deer in the headlights.

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012
He's the best option because he has experience at this level albeit not in this position and is less likely to be a deer in the headlights.

Well, I don't see Hoffman as someone who has the maturity to help calm the ship, much less steer it around.....no matter where he is playing.

IMO he has little insight to what is going on in the game and tbh he plays purely for himself.

He can do that from the wing.

I was very critical of Ben Hunt Friday night ....scathing some may say. I too questioned the value of rookie halves actually being able to help Hunt. I don't know a lot about Strasser ......from what some say and from what I have seen, he seems to have a good halves instinct and for his age is very level headed. I like the way he will go to the line with the ball in his hand. He's not flashy.....he could provide the calming influence needed around the ruck to enable Ben Hunt to wake up and see what's going on in a game.

We're in a shit position this year with halves ........we've got to try something new. Hoffman was and will continue to be dog shit. I don't want to move Barba. It seems to me we have little choice other than to give an unknown a go.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Well, I don't see Hoffman as someone who has the maturity to help calm the ship, much less steer it around.....no matter where he is playing.

IMO he has little insight to what is going on in the game and tbh he plays purely for himself.

He can do that from the wing.

I was very critical of Ben Hunt Friday night ....scathing some may say. I too questioned the value of rookie halves actually being able to help Hunt. I don't know a lot about Strasser ......from what some say and from what I have seen, he seems to have a good halves instinct and for his age is very level headed. I like the way he will go to the line with the ball in his hand. He's not flashy.....he could provide the calming influence needed around the ruck to enable Ben Hunt to wake up and see what's going on in a game.

We're in a **** position this year with halves ........we've got to try something new. Hoffman was and will continue to be dog ****. I don't want to move Barba. It seems to me we have little choice other than to give an unknown a go.

​why. When no one is knocking down the door. You'd be changing one set of problems for another. Not necessarily better ,probably worse.

Rally Towel

Rally Towel

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2014
We're in a shit position this year with halves ........we've got to try something new. Hoffman was and will continue to be dog shit. I don't want to move Barba. It seems to me we have little choice other than to give an unknown a go.

I don't disagree on our predicament, but if Plan A is still Kahu, then I'm not sure if it's worth a stop gap solution at this point. Think he's back around round 6?

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Why is Hoffman the best option? He has no passing game, and even if Strasser needed work on his kicking, it simply cannot be worse than Hoffy's!

Hoffman has the most NRL experience, he defends very well and did on Friday night. His passing and kicking are not great but he can still do a job for the team. The argument Hoffman is a fullback and not a half is moot when you're calling for Strasser who was a fullback too 18 games ago.

Strasser hasn't shown enough at ISC level yet to demand a NRL spot. Which is what he has to do, he's shown promise to get a contract.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
And for those that don't know, he won't have the opportunity this weekend either as the Dolphins have the bye.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Is Kodi Nikorima playing under 20's??

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I thought they might get Kodi playing QCup but obviously not.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Yeah, it was touched on when the NYC team was named on Tuesday.

It's one of the downsides of not having your own QCup team but it would have been a tough sell to anyone of our affiliates to cater and use this kid how the Broncos want him to be used.

A lot of these NYC teams are a work in progress and QCup coaches aren't going to tolerate their inexperience when they get little out of it.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
That is a good point but for mine we've got to work something out because the development of our halves has been extremely poor.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Hoffman has the most NRL experience, he defends very well and did on Friday night. His passing and kicking are not great but he can still do a job for the team. The argument Hoffman is a fullback and not a half is moot when you're calling for Strasser who was a fullback too 18 games ago.

Strasser hasn't shown enough at ISC level yet to demand a NRL spot. Which is what he has to do, he's shown promise to get a contract.
I know he's not breaking the door down, but Hoffman has shown absolutely nothing in terms of playmaking skills, be it from Fullback or 5/8. Strasser is so far ahead of him in those stakes, his lesser defense (and he's pretty solid for a half) and running game would still be worth the punt.
We have second rowers and even props capable of doing a better 5/8 job than Hoffman, whose position is the 3/4 line!

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
footy show giving it to thaiday about how bad the broncs kicking game was. thaiday to his credit was happy to admit that it just wasnt good enough but is sure the boys will be working on it pretty hard this week to get it right.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Yeah, it was touched on when the NYC team was named on Tuesday.

It's one of the downsides of not having your own QCup team but it would have been a tough sell to anyone of our affiliates to cater and use this kid how the Broncos want him to be used.

A lot of these NYC teams are a work in progress and QCup coaches aren't going to tolerate their inexperience when they get little out of it.

20's guys nearly always go to Colts, few exceptions like Molo last week played ISC but it nearly never happens.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I think we were better off when we had the one QLD Cup team to send our excess players too. and i think we should go back to that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

• Scorchie
  • Canga
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncorob
  • Griffo
  • Alec
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.