Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys - Pre Match Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Gillett was to play at 5/8, I just hope it's not a repeat of the last time he played there. He was terrible. Although, it was his first year in the game so I'll cut him some slack.

In hindsight, I agree with Pete, moving Barba to Five-Eighth for 2 games wouldn't help anyone in the long term (Unless he was genuinely considered a long term option at Five-Eighth for next season and beyond)

Kahu is not going to be back for about 8 weeks according to the Broncos. Considering Broncos need to be in a good position going into the Origin period, should Broncos really keep Hoffman there?

If he can show something against the Cowboys that warrants keeping him there, I would be happy with keeping him there.

Let's face it, our draw after the Origin period is a bloody tough one. I believe the Broncos have to be in a good position going into the Origin period and I don't believe Hoffman can help us provide that. I believe Barba or someone else there can, someone that has ball playing skills and can help take the pressure off Hunt.

I would love to be wrong and I hope I am. I hope Hoffman shows me this week that he can be a good option there until Kahu gets back.

If Kahu really is going to be back in a couple of weeks then I can live with Hoffman being there. I heard 8 weeks, though.

Last edited:
I think Hoffman is a massive fail in the 6 but we may as well run with it now. See what happens over the next few games. Hopefully one of the other options we have is carving up in the 20's or Q Cup so Hook might give them a crack.

I think Hoffman is a massive fail in the 6 but we may as well run with it now. See what happens over the next few games. Hopefully one of the other options we have is carving up in the 20's or Q Cup so Hook might give them a crack.

No more massive fail than what Kahu will be. He can't kick at all, therefore don't ask him to. Gus or Joey put it well, that they always asked their young halves that had poor or developing kicking games to just use an grubber rather than a bomb.

The best kick of the past 2 seasons was Barba to Copley.

The best attacking pass of the past 2 seasons was Barba to Glenn at the line (which a confident Alex Glenn of 2011 would have found the line). Dam that was shades of Barba at his best.

The best kick return of the past 2 seasons was Barba's first touch of the ball. The second, third, fourth and fifth were Vidot's kick returns BTW.

I KHunted in my pants having flashbacks of a when we had a competent fullback. Barba will be the man we want to throw that final pass or kick that final kick - but from fullback. No need to dull him in the front line.

The 6 in this team just needs to tackle and pass the ball to Barba.

Hoffman is getting there.

Kahu is not going to be back for about 8 weeks according to the Broncos. Considering Broncos need to be in a good position going into the Origin period, should Broncos really keep Hoffman there?

If he can show something against the Cowboys that warrants keeping him there, I would be happy with keeping him there.

Let's face it, our draw after the Origin period is a bloody tough one. I believe the Broncos have to be in a good position going into the Origin period and I don't believe Hoffman can help us provide that. I believe Barba or someone else there can, someone that has ball playing skills and can help take the pressure off Hunt.

I would love to be wrong and I hope I am. I hope Hoffman shows me this week that he can be a good option there until Kahu gets back.

If Kahu really is going to be back in a couple of weeks then I can live with Hoffman being there. I heard 8 weeks, though.

Kahu... Really, Kahu? He's played a handful of adequate performances on the wing and all of a sudden he's the five eight messiah.. The pressure growing on that jersey is palpable - even Milford would have struggled with the new combinations on Friday night.

There was an article a while back, saying that Kahu had come from a union backround and could kick well off both feet.

And Hoffman came from a junior rugby league playing background as a five eigth.

Kahu... Really, Kahu? He's played a handful of adequate performances on the wing and all of a sudden he's the five eight messiah.. The pressure growing on that jersey is palpable - even Milford would have struggled with the new combinations on Friday night.

He played all of his career up until NRL in either the halves or fullback. He is from a union background and as such can kick with both feet. If your going to condemn someone why not do 10 seconds of research first.

And Hoffman came from a junior rugby league playing background as a five eigth.

He would have been one of those kids who hogged the ball no doubt. Because he can't pass for shit. David Taylor played in the halves as well.

Kahu is just another stop-gap option, but he's a better stop-gap than Hoffman and has a superior kicking/passing game.

In saying that, he didn't spend a lot of time in the halves or as a playmaker in the NYC. The bulk of his performances were on the wing or as a centre.

I am going to say that Kahu can kick better than Hoffman without seeing him kick. I am certain i could of kicked better than him

Ahhh the big test, can't wait. Friday's game was nice, we needed the win to increase confidence after that disappointing trial match but the win was far from convincing. Sure there were some good signs and fitness looked improved but there are some real concerns as well, halves and defence especially. Our wrestling technique is also total rubbish and has been since last year, we allowed far too many quick play the balls and our markers are always struggling to get back square, did anyone else notice this?

The Cows will be a really good indicator of where we sit this season, IMO they are a genuine top 4 side so if we can beat them or come close then there's certainly hope for this year. I'll back Hunt to improve his game this round but he definitely needs a better partner than Hoffman, hopefully Kahu is that person when he returns but it's all a bit uncertain isn't it? Sorry to keep going on about it but if even I can know that every single time Hoffman gets the ball he's going to run it himself then surely the opposition knows this too, if only he could master how to draw and pass then he actually could be a very damaging running 5/8, even without a kicking game.

So with Barba showing early promise of getting back to his 2012 form and with Macca, Vidot and Copley also playing well I genuinely have hope for this game. I expect Hook will take the conservative approach and select the same starting 13 as last round but I'm ok with that, no use changing the formula after 1 game.

I thought our defence with the new rules got a pass mark but the Dogs did not throw much at us. Most games were a lot quicker and it wasnt just us not containing the runners.
I think if we keep up the commitment we showed last week and improve the kicking game it will be a great game of footy against the Cowboys. Shit kicking game again this week and we are dead

Looking forward to this game. I love it when we play the cowboys. One aspect I'll be watching closely is our kicking game. I think Ben Hunt is under too much pressure as Hoffman is not a recognised kicker (which makes Hunt easy pickings for the defense). I think Granville needs a spot on the bench and McCullough to kick from dummy half just to give us a more variety in attack.

I think Ben Hunt might just have had a bad night, for kicking and kick choice, I am willing to give him a chance to turn it around.

Granville picked up man of the match for wynnum yesterday, he always looks busy, I'd like to see him get more NRL time.

But saying that I thought Macca had a pretty good game against the dogs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncosarethebest
  • johnyE
  • Griffo
  • Socnorb
  • lynx000
  • Galah
  • Redux
  • Strop
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Financeguy
  • Thelmus
  • Justwin
  • Ondi
  • johnny plath
  • theshed
  • kman
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.