PRE-GAME Round 2 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

Each to thier own I guess haha, as long as it isn't a finger for each point we lose by, otherwise she might be calling her friends to come over...

PS sorry Dash

Hopefully the Broncos don't make a fist of it :clown:

Really? You've determined that after one game? He'll need to have a hell of a season to snag a 400% payrise.
I haven't determined anything, it's all speculation of course as I can't read the future. But I doubt he will hang around if he's being offered much bettter money elsewhere, which would suggest that the broncos will have to pay him some real money to keep him.

It's criminal if Thaiday is on anymore than 200k
he probably is but i think he gets a long serving discount so it wouldn't all be from the cap.

It's criminal if Thaiday is on anymore than 200k

When he signed his last deal he was playing consistent good footy ... besides whatever he is on will be reduced due to the veterans allowance

52620 39 1

'Personal jab' driving Korbin Sims in 100th NRL game

March 14, 2018

As Korbin Sims prepares for his 100th NRL game against the North Queensland Cowboys, he said the wounds of "a personal jab" would be driving each and every Brisbane Broncos forward.

The pack's performance in the dismal 34-12 loss to St George Illawarra has been panned by pundits with NRL.com columnist Steve Renouf labelling the forwards "soft" and former Broncos hooker Michael Ennis telling Fox Sports that Brisbane lacked a fear factor up front.

Sims admitted the performance was simply not up to scratch and said the forwards knew they had to lift against the Cowboys on Friday night.

"I think each forward took it as a personal jab that we didn't play as well as we wanted to," Sims told NRL.com.

"Across the board, everyone knows they need to be and want to be better. There is no better test than coming up against the Cowboys."

Former Brisbane captain Gorden Tallis said recently that the Broncos lacked size and a dominant forward up front like a Shane Webcke, Glenn Lazarus or Petero Civoniceva, but Sims said that was not the club's issue.

"That was just a very, very un-Bronco-like performance [against the Dragons] and very disappointing to put a performance in like that in the colours that we wear," he said.

"We'll be right. I got to play in this [Queensland] derby last year and it was very up tempo, very fast and physical.

"The boys will be up for this one and it is not a hard game to get pumped for in front of a packed house.

"We all want to play our best football each week but this one will have a bit more punch and a bit more zing in it."

Sims, a former Gerringong junior on the NSW South Coast, started his career at the Broncos and left to go to the Knights where he played 76 games in tough circumstances.

He jumped at the chance to be coached at Brisbane by his old Knights mentor Wayne Bennett in 2017 and said he had no regrets.

"When I was young, the Broncos picked me up first and I went through the junior and elite player program here and played a couple of games in the 20s, so I always wanted to come back," he said.

"I tried my best at the Knights and I love Newcastle as well. There is a proud and rich history at that club, like the Broncos.

"But I always wanted to play for the Broncos and I get my chance to play my 100th NRL game up here in a local derby in front of a packed house. What's better?"

Sims said the broken arm that kept him out of last year's Telstra Premiership finals was well and truly healed and he was ready to fire.

"Coming off the injury I had last year, I feel as though I am in a position to play my best footy this year."

Source: NRL.com

why? ...

there is a good chance to will be prepared to stay for a few years to repay the club for what they have done for him ... then again he could just be a greedy mercenary

If they want that 1.6 mill paid back then he will need to get the highest offer on the table to begin with.

Finished the round.

Taggers: 42 minutes and nine tackle breaks.
Flegler: 32 minutes and 11 tackles with nine runs.
Scarlett- 388 kicking meters.
Fai- 22 tackles- 3 missed.
Haas- 48 minutes, 26 tackles and 0 missed. 14 runs and 155m, nine tackle breaks.
Turpin- 49 minutes, 20 tackles and 0 missed.

I don't think Lodge will stay. Very much sounds like he wants to be back in Sydney, with his family.
But hopefully he stays and doesn't just use the club and leave next year, but I fear he may..

I think Oates will head to Melbourne. Maybe this might free up a bit of $ to make a decent play at a halfback, or maybe Napa.
I hope we keep Isaako, Fai, TPJ, Su'a and Allan at least..

If we start to loose any of the bigger names or juniors I think that spells trouble for Wayne..

Who's even on the market half back wise that we could go at for next season?

Preview pics broncos v cowboys 20180313 1

Broncos v Cowboys: McCullough starts, Morgan out again

March 13, 2018

The Broncos were never seriously in the hunt in the season-opening loss to the Dragons, and perhaps the most troubling aspect of their performance for coach Wayne Bennett was the uncharacteristically poor attention to defensive detail.

Brisbane fans will no doubt expect a far more committed effort against the Cowboys, with fullback Lachlan Coote (hamstring) is an outside chance of returning. The Broncos won't see prized off-season signing Jack Bird (shoulder) in action until round four.

The selections

Wayne Bennett has not hit the panic button despite his team's heavy 34-12 defeat last Thursday night at Jubilee Oval. Andrew McCullough has been named to start at hooker for the Broncos, with Sam Thaiday shifted to prop. Tom Opacic replaces the suspended Jayd'n Su'A.

Te Maire Martin again starts at five-eighth for the Cowboys, with Michael Morgan (abdominal strain) not to be risked by Paul Green. Corey Jensen joins John Asiata, Coen Hess and Scott Bolton on an imposing four-man interchange bench.

The key match-up: Te Maire Martin v Anthony Milford. With Michael Morgan unlikely to play, it will be a battle between the five-eighths and whoever of Martin and Milford can rise to the top could decide the game.

For the Broncos to win: Easy. Limit Johnathan Thurston. Whether it's by stopping the Cowboys' forwards or pressuring him relentlessly, the Broncos must stop Thurston.

For the Cowboys to win: Execute well. It doesn't have to be perfect, but the Cowboys need to convert more try-scoring opportunities into tries scored.

Broncos Stat Attack: They must improve their simple game against the Cowboys. They had 14 errors and 35 missed tackles against the Dragons. Their job won't get any easier against the Cowboys' massive pack, so the Broncos will need to improve.

Cowboys Stat Attack: The Cowboys only completed at 66 per cent against the Sharks; they'll need to do better to beat the Broncos on home turf.

And another thing: Michael Morgan's fitness could be the difference, his presence on the field could split the game wide open, or be the difference in extra point, given the history of the last few years between these sides it's impossible to tell.

Prediction: Cowboys by 6.

Broncos: 1 Darius Boyd (c), 2 Corey Oates, 3 James Roberts, 4 Jordan Kahu, 5 Jamayne Isaako, 6 Anthony Milford, 7 Kodi Nikorima, 8 Matthew Lodge, 9 Andrew McCullough, 10 Tevita Pangai Jnr, 11 Alex Glenn, 12 Matt Gillett, 13 Josh McGuire

Interchange: 14 Sam Thaiday, 15 Joe Ofahengaue, 16 Korbin Sims, 17 Tom Opacic

Reserves: 18 Todd Murphy, 19 Sam Tagataese, 20 Jonus Pearson, 21 George Fai

Cowboys: 1 Ben Hampton, 2 Kyle Feldt, 3 Justin O'Neill, 4 Javid Bowen, 5 Antonio Winterstein, 14 Te Maire Martin, 7 Johnathan Thurston (c), 8 Matthew Scott (c), 9 Jake Granville, 10 Jordan McLean, 11 Gavin Cooper, 12 Ethan Lowe, 13 Jason Taumalolo

Interchange: 14 John Asiata, 15 Coen Hess, 16 Scott Bolton, 18 Corey Jensen

Reserves: 18 Kyle Laybutt, 19 Michael Morgan, 20 Francis Molo, 21 Enari Tuala

Friday March 16, 7.05pm AEST (8.05pm AEDT), Suncorp Stadium

Head-to-head:
48 games, Broncos 31 wins, Cowboys 15 wins, 2 draws

Matches at the venue: 14 games, Broncos 9 wins, Cowboys 5 wins

Last five games: Cowboys 3 wins, Broncos 2 wins

2017 matches: Cowboys won 21-20 in round 2; Broncos won 20-10 in round 26

2017 points per game: Broncos 24.9; Cowboys 19.5

2017 points conceded per game: Broncos 18; Cowboys 18.5

Televised: Nine, Fox League, NRL Live Pass

Source: NRL.com

If they want that 1.6 mill paid back then he will need to get the highest offer on the table to begin with.

they won't be getting their 1.6 million since it appears that their lawyers fucked up and didn't adhere to Australian legislation, that would allow them to get an enforcement order from an Australian court.

they won't be getting their 1.6 million since it appears that their lawyers fucked up and didn't adhere to Australian legislation, that would allow them to get an enforcement order from an Australian court.

I think the NRL are actually going to force him to pay, if he wants to play in the NRL.

Who's even on the market half back wise that we could go at for next season?

according to Zero Tackle these are the halves off contract at seasons end ... I'm not sure there is anyone really worth chasing in that list.

FIVE-EIGHTH
Blake Austin, Josh Cleeland, Lachlan Croker, Adam Doueihi, Kane Elgey, Matt Frawley, Jack Johns, Adam Keighran, Lachlan Lam, Brock Lamb, Benji Marshall, Jeremy Marshall-King, Dean Matterson, Shaun Nona, Curtis Sironen, John Sutton

HALFBACK
Mitch Cornish, Pita Godinet, Jackson Hastings, Christian Hazard, Trent Hodkinson, Ryley Jacks, Cooper Johns, Kyle Laybutt, Lachlan Lewis, Soni Luke, Aidan Sezer, Johnathan Thurston, Connor Tracey, Peter Wallace, Billy Walters

https://www.zerotackle.com/rugby-league/players/by-position-2018/

I think he has every intention of paying it back but knows he needs to perform well first in order to get a contract that will enable him to do so. If he leaves us because of that, so be it.

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • Lozza
  • DMZ
  • Allo
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.