Round 2 - Broncos vs. Dragons - Build Up Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen either Taylor or Paia'aua so can't comment on them.

Cullen is too small. A shame because his short distance game is quite good and he puts in but even in 20s he lacks size.

Nikorima is also on the small side and based on his first year too much like Norman. Very enigmatic, good foot-work but no blistering pace, no real organisation or halves skills and his kicking game didn't really impress me. Judging by the stats. he was our MotM against Manly but I'd like to see him again. Right now though, I don't think he's going to make it. He's definitely not somebody we should get our hopes up on.

I'd like to see how Gary Riccardi goes for Norths. Former junior, went to Manly, topped a lot of playmaking lists in NYC despite only being 18/19 before he was thrusted into the NSW Cup with a crappy Manly team because Geoff Carr is an insecure douche. I think he has enough talent to at least be a depth half, if not a full-time half.

yeah true, he didnt say prince with norman, but i think we all know thats what he meant.

Haven't seen either Taylor or Paia'aua so can't comment on them.

Cullen is too small. A shame because his short distance game is quite good and he puts in but even in 20s he lacks size.

Nikorima is also on the small side and based on his first year too much like Norman. Very enigmatic, good foot-work but no blistering pace, no real organisation or halves skills and his kicking game didn't really impress me. Judging by the stats. he was our MotM against Manly but I'd like to see him again. Right now though, I don't think he's going to make it. He's definitely not somebody we should get our hopes up on.

I'd like to see how Gary Riccardi goes for Norths. Former junior, went to Manly, topped a lot of playmaking lists in NYC despite only being 18/19 before he was thrusted into the NSW Cup with a crappy Manly team because Geoff Carr is an insecure douche. I think he has enough talent to at least be a depth half, if not a full-time half.
Fair comment on the size, they are both small. I watched the game last week and I thought Paia'aua could well have been playing injured. Heavy strapping on his knee and hurt it again through the game. He has been selected on the bench this week and I was shocked. I was only about 5 metres from the dugout as he went past in what seemed a lot of pain. Surely they would not risk a knee injury.
i must say the Broncos attack seemed to pep up as soon as Byrnes went to fullback. You could see him waving and pointing in defense as well. He is young and looks very slight compared to those around him. He impressed me
Cullen and Nikorima had a blinding last 20 though and Broncos may have done this the whole game if they could have held the ball.
I was amused at the report that said Molo was one of the best, he had a shocker but I still think he will come through, just has to improve his ball handling

My impression of Nikorima from watching the 20's last year and the last game. He is small but stockier than Cullen. He has never had to learn ball skills because coming through juniors he has probably demanded the ball so he can run it, make the breaks and score the tries. The one thing he does appear to have in his favor is he wants to be involved. He does not shy away from tackling either.
Norman seems reluctant at times to be involved and this may just be he is not confident enough to call his senior partner off the ball but it seems that way in defense at times also.
i think Norman gets confidence and you will see a dramatic improvement in his game both in attack and defense

Apparently we have an 18 year old half on the books that is supposed to be a gun. The journo didn't say his name though. Could be bollocks though

Ethan Roberts probably has the big wraps on him coming through the grades.

He's still only in CC though so a lot can happen obviously.

Is from NSW too, so all those hyperboles about how we only recruit from Queensland are complete and utter crap.

Last edited:
Saw this in the Herald, gee i hate stats like these, hopefully we can change all 3 of those around tonight. Here's a bit taken from the main article:
"For all his talent, steady New Zealand Test fullback Hoffman, remarkably, has drawn a doughnut in the win column in his four NRL starts on the flank.
The news doesn't get any better for Norman.

Touted as Darren Lockyer's heir apparent at five-eighth, the 22-year-old will start an NRL match in a No.1 jumper for the 10th time - where he has a dismal 1-9 record.

And despite a decorated career including more than 200 games at halfback, 33-year-old Prince has won just 15 of 44 starts in the No.6 - the last of which came seven years ago."

First game I'll be watching this season! :rockon:

Cannot wait.

Getting nervous now :001_unsure:

I hope we don't have an 0/2 start to the season :thumbdown:

Biggest problem with Hunt is that his execution is some of the worst I've seen. I dunno if it's because he thinks he's better than he actually is, but he certainly has the vision, he just doesn't make the most of it.

Im confident tonight but these stats from Courier Mail are a little worrying.

HOFFMAN
Wing: 0 wins from 4 starts (0 per cent)
Fullback: 36 wins from 61 starts (59 per cent)

NORMAN
Fullback: 1 win from 9 starts (11 per cent)
Five-eighth: 15 wins from 28 starts (53 per cent)

PRINCE
Five-eighth: 15 wins from 44 starts (34 per cent)
Halfback: 100 wins from 204 starts (49 per cent)

Who cares. Stats are pointless.

McCullough to play 80 minutes. Hunt drops off the bench and is replaced by Anderson. Hannant to the run on side and McGuire off the bench. I really don't see why we even need 4 forwards on the bench.

so bronco bob was right with his mail.

i dont mind it. if hunts playing 12 minutes like last week then theres no point him being there. hopefully the forward rotations improve and we can keep the intensity up for 80 minutes.

Yeah but there is no point not having Hunt there when we hardly used our bench last week.

Yeah but there is no point not having Hunt there when we hardly used our bench last week.

maybe hook realised this and the rotations will be better. we can only hope

CARN BRONCS

Last edited:
Im confident tonight but these stats from Courier Mail are a little worrying.

HOFFMAN
Wing: 0 wins from 4 starts (0 per cent)
Fullback: 36 wins from 61 starts (59 per cent)

NORMAN
Fullback: 1 win from 9 starts (11 per cent)
Five-eighth: 15 wins from 28 starts (53 per cent)

PRINCE
Five-eighth: 15 wins from 44 starts (34 per cent)
Halfback: 100 wins from 204 starts (49 per cent)
Meaningless stats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.