Round 2 Discussion

Vossy: The Cowboys challenged.

Did they? They had all the ball in the final quarter of the game and didn’t look like scoring once.

Drinkwater was nowhere to be fucking seen. Granville was like a headless chook. When Morgan did get the ball, he had nothing to work with. Clifford was very easy to read and probably their best attacking weapon Holmes, was stuck on the fucking wing.

What is Payten doing?

Why don't teams take the one when they are down by seven with ten or so minutes to go? I don't get it. Just take the one point out of it as soon as possible and focus on getting the six. Comes back to bite the team more times than not.

Vossy: The Cowboys challenged.

Did they? They had all the ball in the final quarter of the game and didn’t look like scoring once.

Drinkwater was nowhere to be fucking seen. Granville was like a headless chook. When Morgan did get the ball, he had nothing to work with. Clifford was very easy to read and probably their best attacking weapon Holmes, was stuck on the fucking wing.

What is Payten doing?

The kick to Feldt and pass back to Marsters nearly came off. Certainly got close enough a few times to find a try but just couldn't execute.

Except they were largely 10m from the goal line or 5m over it (I'd prefer over it tbh... if Coates can catch it on the full and fall to the ground it's an easy 4 points).

They know that Coates is a weapon in the air, but the ineffective kicks to his side suggests they don't really focus on the cross field kick to his side as a genuine try scoring set play every set of six
Fair call.
And that will end up being a problem because the more we lean on Coates in the air like a crutch, the faster our opposition will single him out then we've got nothing at all.
Yeah this is what concerned me to be honest. Don't get me wrong you have to play to the weaknesses of the other team and Thompson is way too short to even near contest Coates on that wing, but it got to the point where you seemed over reliant on it imo and it won't work as well against every other team. Some of your shapes actually looked alright til Isaako got caught with the ball a number of times.

Fair call.

Yeah this is what concerned me to be honest. Don't get me wrong you have to play to the weaknesses of the other team and Thompson is way too short to even near contest Coates on that wing, but it got to the point where you seemed over reliant on it imo and it won't work as well against every other team. Some of your shapes actually looked alright til Isaako got caught with the ball a number of times.
Titans look to kick to Don... because he's good in the air
Warriors kick to Maumalo or Fus
Dragons kick to Lomax
Cows kick to Feldt
Manly kick to the opposing fullback for Turbo
Roosters kick to Tupou
Manu Vatuvei made a career being the target of cross field kicks and half the time he just got up to knock it back to his center who then worked it from there... one of the things Don looks to do a fair bit (i.e. keep the play alive)

It's a tactic in the game that teams work on, because it works. It needs to sit in your arsenal when needed... a nice easy play that you can turn to when you need a try.

Broncos have one of the best players in the air and we struggle to put the ball in the right position to exploit it.

Last edited:
If Hunt played like that every week he'd be close to the best in the comp.

Your first post about the game said they didnt look like scoring once.

They scored three times.

Take a look at the time stamp of that post. During the game after the Cowboys had 3 consecutive sets on the Dragons line, which is what that post is referring to.

Like I said, try to keep up.

Take a look at the time stamp of that post. During the game after the Cowboys had 3 consecutive sets on the Dragons line, which is what that post is referring to.

Like I said, try to keep up.
Should have said that then.

Dare I say it, good coaching?
After watching two weeks of the cowboys I would say it is more the opposition. I mean we are awful but they look fucking diabolical.

Cowboys have most of the pieces though, if they can make it click they are a top eight team. I think they will mix the spine up next week and will beat the Titans.

In my eyes Payton has overthought the situation. Instead of looking at the names on paper and putting the key players in the right positions, he's tried to get too creative looking to pull off some sort of masterstroke.

Few things stand out: 1) Reducing Lolo's minutes then calling him out post-game for effort, 2) moving Val to the wing when he clearly only signed for the club to play FB, 3) putting McGuire to the bench. These are moves of an inexperienced coach that is trying to stamp his authority on the side. A smarter coach would do these moves more subtly over time. He's very quickly losing the leadership group with these decisions, particularly as they don't appear to be the right ones.

A player like Lolo is the fabric of the club and probably the last bloke you ever call out for lack of effort. NQ fans love the guy.

On top of these mis-steps, he then goes and moves one of the quickest but most inexperienced players into centre (not his natural position) and keeps a kid who's shown his disloyalty to the club at HB. What is even the point of them developing Clifford any further?

If they lose to the Titans I think it'll be 7 Morgan 6 Drink 1 Val but the damage may have already been done. The great draw they had to start the season will be thrown away, he'll be fighting for his job and they'll be in a scrap to avoid the spoon.

Active Now

• broncotville
  • Jazza
  • GCBRONCO
  • Midean
  • Justwin
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Wolfie
  • Fatboy
  • Old Mate
  • rj9
  • Bish
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.