Round 2 Discussion

In my eyes Payton has overthought the situation. Instead of looking at the names on paper and putting the key players in the right positions, he's tried to get too creative looking to pull off some sort of masterstroke.

Few things stand out: 1) Reducing Lolo's minutes then calling him out post-game for effort, 2) moving Val to the wing when he clearly only signed for the club to play FB, 3) putting McGuire to the bench. These are moves of an inexperienced coach that is trying to stamp his authority on the side. A smarter coach would do these moves more subtly over time. He's very quickly losing the leadership group with these decisions, particularly as they don't appear to be the right ones.

A player like Lolo is the fabric of the club and probably the last bloke you ever call out for lack of effort. NQ fans love the guy.

On top of these mis-steps, he then goes and moves one of the quickest but most inexperienced players into centre (not his natural position) and keeps a kid who's shown his disloyalty to the club at HB. What is even the point of them developing Clifford any further?

If they lose to the Titans I think it'll be 7 Morgan 6 Drink 1 Val but the damage may have already been done. The great draw they had to start the season will be thrown away, he'll be fighting for his job and they'll be in a scrap to avoid the spoon.

Morgan is done. He was close a couple of years ago with all those repeated concussions he had and his shoulder really isnt in a good way. I can see a medical retirement coming tbh.

Morgan is done. He was close a couple of years ago with all those repeated concussions he had and his shoulder really isnt in a good way. I can see a medical retirement coming tbh.
We've been waiting a while for him to pull the pin on his career but he seems to just keep patching himself up and going again.

Best years are definitely behind him, they know it too or they wouldn't be going so hard for Dearden.

I think at the end of this season one of Val/Drink will be on the move. I don't see a world where they both stick around fighting for the 1 while Hammer develops. I'm also particularly interested to see what happens with Asi - went from highly touted and playing FG to not fancied at all.

That was a BS six again against the tigers.
Daine Laurie makes a clean break, Roosters player holds on too long, should have been a penalty at the least if not a sin bin. They get the ball back, Leilua barely even holds on, gets pinged six again on the 3rd tackle.

Last edited:
Who doesn't love the salary cap.
There really is just a top 6 now and the rest are making up numbers.

He was always decent for a bench utility actually for QLD. Those head knocks and constant issues with his shoulder have probably put an end to him as a really top player.
Yeah, I think he was quality before his injuries. When he played fullback, and later a running 5/8th, he was actually pretty damn good.

Who doesn't love the salary cap.
There really is just a top 6 now and the rest are making up numbers.
When there was like 2 or 4 points separating 12 of the teams, we were making fun of it being "the closest competition ever", so there's no way for the salary cap to win at all really, haha.

They shouldn't get that money off the cap imo. It's not a new injury and he's proven that he can play with it.

They shouldn't get that money off the cap imo. It's not a new injury and he's proven that he can play with it.

I'm not sure if you can get away with things like that if its a constant deterioration. Really dont know how the rules like that work. The other issue is if he gets knocked out a couple of times this year again. Is concussion enough to get him medically retired these days?

Edit: Just looking at the rules, the pre existing injury clause is based on players who got injury before they signed their current contract. Morgan signed his 5 year deal in 2018, and both his shoulder issues and concussion problems both came under his current contract, so he could be medically retired with either injury. They wouldnt have a problem there. He didnt have his injuries prior to signing his contract.

Last edited:
Laurie is quality. Easy to see why the Tigers were so desperate to get him early.

Liddle looking decent too.

Man, watching the Roosters and Panthers absolutely destroying every other team not named Melbourne or Parra is going to be such a fun season to watch isn't it. I don't mean tough wins, I mean absolute carnage against other teams.

How is that a try to Dugan but Turps one in round 1 was no try?

Active Now

• Rookie Alan
  • Lozza
  • Morkel
  • GCBRONCO
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • Evander
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncosgirl
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.