Round 2 Discussion

I think Drinkwater even at 6 would still be better option than Milford, he has a decent long kicking game to compliment Deardon in the halves.

I hope Milford is watching how Hunt is playing in this game and is absolutely ashamed of himself.

BHunt been absolutely amazing tonight... reminiscent of 2014/15/16

Has Griffin worked a miracle and brought the running Bhunt back to NRL

Last edited:
Aaaaand another simple try with a little barge over from the DH... something the broncos aren't getting from our dummy half

Aaaaand another simple try with a little barge over from the DH... something the broncos aren't getting from our dummy half

Name me one occasion where Turpin was close enough to the Titans line to pull that off even once on Friday night?

Name me one occasion where Turpin was close enough to the Titans line to pull that off even once on Friday night?
yeah righto I'll just rip through the entire game and find a minute where we had a ptb inside the 5m

How about you name how many tries we've scored from a dummy half play (pass or run) within 5m of the tryline in the last 2 years that wasn't Seggy scoring against the roosters.

Last edited:
yeah righto I'll just rip through the entire game and find a minute where we had a ptb inside the 5m

How about you name how many tries we've scored from a dummy half play (pass or run) within 5m of the tryline in the last 2 years that wasn't Seggy scoring against the roosters.

You don't have to go through the entire game because there was none. We were down our own end for the majority of the game and when we were in attacking territory, it was TPJ doing the barging over on the edge.

Instead of being pissed at Turpin for not being superman, you should be pissed at our halves for being incapable of building any sort of pressure that would allow a barge over from dummy half.

Last edited:
Cowboys didn’t look like scoring once.

They were throwing nothing at the Dragons

You don't have to go through the entire game because there was none. We were down our own end for the majority of the game and when we were in attacking territory, it was TPJ doing the barging over on the edge.
For whatever reason you're assuming that I'm criticising Turps, because of one game, but in reality I'm talking about our inability to consistently look for the easy tries that every other team looks to get:
- DH run from 1-5m out
- DH pass to a prop from inside the 5m (titans scored two through Wallace and Jolliffe)
- Cross field kick to Coates from inside the 20m
- Cross field kick to an athletic second rower inside the 20m i.e. Riki (the play that cows used with Gooper for his entire career)
- Getting a second rower 1v1 with a half inside the 20m

Instead we go settler onto the post and try to do a sweep play around them... it's too hard trying to score all of your tries off beautiful sweeping backline plays. Defences are too good.

You have to utilise your position, utilise the strengths in your team (Haas, TPJ, Riki & Coates) and get those cheap easy tries.

I've been looking to highlight how many of those tries are scored throughout a game/round compared to how infrequently we are able to get them.

Also FWIW we had plenty of ball inside the titans half in the first half... titans were dropping it all over the place and giving us field position, but our halves were impatient and looking to go for the cute killer plays instead of working to positions on the field that can lead to the easy tries

Last edited:
You can tell Bird's homesickness was no illusion. He is clearly reveling being back in Sydney even if it is playing for Merge.

Holmes and Morgan have needed to get more involved in the attack. They didn’t.

Not sure what Payten is thinking.

Holmes and Morgan have needed to get more involved in the attack. They didn’t.

Not sure what Payten is thinking.
His attacking revamp appears to be running everything through the halfback that will be playing in Newcastle next year

For whatever reason you're assuming that I'm criticising Turps, because of one game, but in reality I'm talking about our inability to consistently look for the easy tries that every other team looks to get:
- DH run from 1-5m out
- DH pass to a prop from inside the 5m (titans scored two through Wallace and Jolliffe)
- Cross field kick to Coates from inside the 20m
- Cross field kick to an athletic second rower inside the 20m i.e. Riki (the play that cows used with Gooper for his entire career)
- Getting a second rower 1v1 with a half inside the 20m

Instead we go settler onto the post and try to do a sweep play around them... it's too hard trying to score all of your tries off beautiful sweeping backline plays. Defences are too good.

You have to utilise your position, utilise the strengths in your team (Haas, TPJ, Riki & Coates) and get those cheap easy tries.

I've been looking to highlight how many of those tries are scored throughout a game/round compared to how infrequently we are able to get them.

Also FWIW we had plenty of ball inside the titans half in the first half... titans were dropping it all over the place and giving us field position, but our halves were impatient and looking to go for the cute killer plays instead of working to positions on the field that can lead to the easy tries
You definitely had the cross field kicks to Coates. It would've been the end to about 90% of your sets down our end I reckon.

You definitely had the cross field kicks to Coates. It would've been the end to about 90% of your sets down our end I reckon.
Except they were largely 10m from the goal line or 5m over it (I'd prefer over it tbh... if Coates can catch it on the full and fall to the ground it's an easy 4 points).

They know that Coates is a weapon in the air, but the ineffective kicks to his side suggests they don't really focus on the cross field kick to his side as a genuine try scoring set play every set of six

Last edited:

And that will end up being a problem because the more we lean on Coates in the air like a crutch, the faster our opposition will single him out then we've got nothing at all.

Active Now

• Stix
  • Brocko
  • Porthoz
  • johnny plath
  • john1420
  • Old Mate
  • Financeguy
  • mystico
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.