PRE-GAME Round 20 - Broncos vs Cowboys

vs

Kickoff In:

Thursday
Morning
10:00

Team Lists

So, just to clarify, you're unwilling to acknowledge that you were quoted saying that tackle efficiency is the only thing that matters in deciding if someone is good defensively?

Ok, fair enough man.

I also seem to recall you big noting yourself about how often you're able to admit that you're wrong or have made a mistake, right? I'm still yet to see one of these supposed humble admissions, but I do look forward to the day.
TBF, I have seen him acknowledge being wrong on a few occasions.

Lol I recently pointed out one of his mistakes and he went on a massive sook bender, plaintively wailing about how he'd never asked for my opinion. Didn't admit he was wrong though. Funny fella, I feel half sorry for him being stuck in covid suite with naught to do but play the role of all-knowing guru on a football forum, half amused at the instant transition from Dr Humble to Mr I-wasnt-wrong, half disappointed in the way he talks down to everyone despite knowing better, and the fourth half dismayed that instead of loading my ute for a trip out into the boonies I'm sat on my arse posting about other posters.

Lol I recently pointed out one of his mistakes and he went on a massive sook bender, plaintively wailing about how he'd never asked for my opinion. Didn't admit he was wrong though. Funny fella, I feel half sorry for him being stuck in covid suite with naught to do but play the role of all-knowing guru on a football forum, half amused at the instant transition from Dr Humble to Mr I-wasnt-wrong, half disappointed in the way he talks down to everyone despite knowing better, and the fourth half dismayed that instead of loading my ute for a trip out into the boonies I'm sat on my arse posting about other posters.
Yes, well, that would probably be fair comment. I take it that maths was not your favourite subject despite your particular statistical bent?

Last edited:

That's the thing, I'm working on a theory that he'll only admit mistake if he likes the person he's having the discussion with. If it's someone he dislikes (Myself or @Morkel, for example), there is absolutely zero chance on earth he would ever admit mistake, even when caught red-handed with proof, like today.

We can't do much with that information, but it's amusing nevertheless.

I'm looking forward to seeing Staggs at 6. Ordinarily I'd say it would limit the Broncos attack, but since they've struggled to play any meaningful football it should compliment the team if anything. I don't view 6 as his long term position, but if he does make a go of it, it'd be nice to have that back-up option in case something was to happen.

I like the decision to start Riki. Fifita is a massive loss for the club but the Broncos weren't getting a lot out of playing him long term. I'm glad they didn't just push Ofahengaue or Te'o onto the edge and they've set Jordan this challenge, hopefully he can step up because the Broncos desperately need something to go right for them.

It's one of the stronger line-ups the Broncos have named. Oates has been so disappointing since his return, I thought he'd take his second chance with both hands but that was clearly expecting too much. Coates has had an up and down year as to be expected with this company, but he's a project worth investing in and he has that class about him that suggests he's capable of bigger and better things.

Hopoate off the bench definitely seems risky, but I like it. I thought he was one of the Broncos more likely players and I like how he's constantly pushing up around the ball. I hope with Haas back, that will allow Gentle to give Ofahengaue 15-20 minutes to go flat out and then bring Hopoate in fresh and give the Broncos some mobility in and around the ruck.

One concern I have with the rule change is that we could really see one team just run away with it early. It's already happening now with the set restarts, but just the likelihood is even greater and the game is essentially being decided on one set. The last time I saw a comparison, the referees were getting more involved in season's past, so I could see offsides being blown more regularly.

I'm just counting down the hours. This season has been miserable and I've seen everything that I wanted to see after the Knights game. Hopefully the guys actually make a game of it and give us something (anything) to be excited about moving into 2021.

I'm looking forward to seeing Staggs at 6. Ordinarily I'd say it would limit the Broncos attack, but since they've struggled to play any meaningful football it should compliment the team if anything. I don't view 6 as his long term position, but if he does make a go of it, it'd be nice to have that back-up option in case something was to happen.

I like the decision to start Riki. Fifita is a massive loss for the club but the Broncos weren't getting a lot out of playing him long term. I'm glad they didn't just push Ofahengaue or Te'o onto the edge and they've set Jordan this challenge, hopefully he can step up because the Broncos desperately need something to go right for them.

It's one of the stronger line-ups the Broncos have named. Oates has been so disappointing since his return, I thought he'd take his second chance with both hands but that was clearly expecting too much. Coates has had an up and down year as to be expected with this company, but he's a project worth investing in and he has that class about him that suggests he's capable of bigger and better things.

Hopoate off the bench definitely seems risky, but I like it. I thought he was one of the Broncos more likely players and I like how he's constantly pushing up around the ball. I hope with Haas back, that will allow Gentle to give Ofahengaue 15-20 minutes to go flat out and then bring Hopoate in fresh and give the Broncos some mobility in and around the ruck.

One concern I have with the rule change is that we could really see one team just run away with it early. It's already happening now with the set restarts, but just the likelihood is even greater and the game is essentially being decided on one set. The last time I saw a comparison, the referees were getting more involved in season's past, so I could see offsides being blown more regularly.

I'm just counting down the hours. This season has been miserable and I've seen everything that I wanted to see after the Knights game. Hopefully the guys actually make a game of it and give us something (anything) to be excited about moving into 2021.
Great post. I think Staggs is wasted in the centres. We seem to spend a lot of game time waiting for someone to bring him into the game or he just ends up doing something out of nothing. Playing 5/8 is really an audition for fullback next year I think.
Riki is the future in the second row and will be better after another off season but we should be letting him know that the job is his to lose by picking him this week.
Coates has been a work in progress but he hasn’t shirked the job at all and has incredible athletic ability. He is someone worth showing faith in and Oates is a second rower now who can fill in out wide. They have both been picked in their correct positions.

Very torn between laughing about certain posters talking about others inability to admit when they’re wrong and being sick of threads turning into conversations about certain posters. Mods can we fix this? It’s going to be a loooong off season.

In saying that, I’ve never actually looked forward to the end of a footy season before. This version of the Broncos needs to be burnt to the ground and restarted. We need to win this game to end on a high. If not the spoon needs to be delivered directly to Seibold. This Cowboys teams is beatable, no matter how much we suck.

Coates needs to contribute more beginning our sets tho, our metres have been poor and that starts from the back.

The end of our sets may be the bigger problem though.
Judging from last week, Holmes, Feldt and HTF wont have much trouble returning with interest our weak piss kicks.

The end of our sets may be the bigger problem though.
Judging from last week, Holmes, Feldt and HTF wont have much trouble returning with interest our weak piss kicks.

This, our kicking game, will define tonight's game, whether we play it in their half, or they play in ours, so again, will we end up constantly on the back foot, tired from too much pressure, too much defending, and thus falling apart as in so many of our other games this year.

As for Staggs at 5/8, I wonder if he has the footie "intellect" to create opportunities as opposed to his undoubted instincts to take them when offered as he does so well in attack as centre. Comparisons with Wighton are good as far as they go - strong and powerful running, especially at the line, but what about his ability to read the play and then create something with a good passing game. So far, there is little to go on here so for me, that will be really interesting, to see how he works the edges as much as taking on the line ... and then doing something with the ball rather than just being tackled. Same for his kicking game, which looks good as far as clever short kicks go.

Aside from Staggs and spoon bending, I find this game has a lot to interest us - Riki on the edge running off Dearden, Haas with support runners (?), Coates leaping high to score off kicks to his wing, and of course, Darius! Darius playing a blinder, hunting behind the ruck, linking with the halves, slicing through the line with speed and swerve. Farewell Darius. Leave us with something to remember you by other than a bitter taste.

Can't wait.

Last edited:
This, our kicking game, will define tonight's game, whether we play it in their half, or they play in ours, so again, will we end up constantly on the back foot, tired from too much pressure, too much defending, and thus falling apart as in so many of our other games this year.

As for Staggs at 5/8, I wonder if he has the footie "intellect" to create opportunities as opposed to his undoubted instincts to take them when offered as he does so well in attack as centre. Comparisons with Wighton are good as far as they go - strong and powerful running, especially at the line, but what about his ability to read the play and then create something with a good passing game. So far, there is little to go on here so for me, that will be really interesting, to see how he works the edges as much as taking on the line ... and then doing something with the ball rather than just being tackled. Same for his kicking game, which looks good as far as clever short kicks go.

Aside from Staggs and spoon bending, I find this game has a lot to interest us - Riki on the edge running off Dearden, Haas with support runners (?), Coates leaping high to score off kicks to his wing, and of course, Darius! Darius playing a blinder, hunting behind the ruck, linking with the halves, slicing through the line with speed and swerve. Farewell Darius. Leave us with something to remember you by other than a bitter taste.

Can't wait.

Our forwards making more than 30m a set would help said kicking game.

Our forwards making more than 30m a set would help said kicking game.

Oh absolutely. Can't separate the two in importance. There is nothing without either as we have bloody well found out. At least with a strong kicking game, 30m out from their line is so much better than 70

Last edited:
I’d like to see us add the Panthers technique of having a player just randomly stand in front of the kicker so nobody can get to him. Hasn’t been illegal all year so it would ultimately prove if the refs do have a problem with us if we are penalised for it.

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • BruiserMk1
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • Jedhead
  • Kev_Guz
  • Dash
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • leon.bott
  • Midean
  • Broncorob
  • BroncosAlways
  • dasherhalo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • Wolfie
  • Brotherdu
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncos Maestro
  • ettybay
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.