Player Stats

# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P
# T Pts TA LB TB OFF Ta MT IT Pos DR K KM M E P

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Can someone go to a training session, get Hunt and Milford and tell them to take a look at my videos and see what happens when the 6 and 7 take on the fucking line.

Tell them to look at the Panthers one.. And see what came of Locky taking on the line.

He had a player run next to him, he committed defenders and then boom, got a ball away and try.

Last edited:
Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Look at what I was responding too.

What I said (on top of other factors) seems more likely than all this rumour and innuendo that's being tossed around.
No, it really doesn't. That's obfuscating what seems to be a clear collective malaise.

Sure, injuries are not helping, but even before Origin and with almost all out troops on board, this team is a shadow of last season's in terms of attitude to the game, their fans and even more important, each other.
Without that, WB's game plan of hanging back, defend the line and wait for a mistake from the opposition will only result in what we have been seeing:

A team being dominated on all fronts, and hostage to moments of brilliance from its stars to achieve a result.

tommy

tommy

International Rep
Jun 5, 2015
Yeah gotta say I would prefer Storm or Sharks to win rather than the whingers. Of course sharks would be easier to cheer if Gallen picks up an injury keeping him out of the GF. Part of me even wants to see the cowboys get "robbed" one more time, just for the laugh. And yes I am petty.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
**** no to the Sharks, at least while peptide Paul is around. And as much as I recognise Flanagan to be a very good coach, his involvement in the whole saga will always have a stink to it, and should not be rewarded with premiership glory.

I don't hate the Sharks or their fans, but they'll just have to wait a bit longer...

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Had a look at the Waqa try.

That was a try every day of the week.

Ball went back. Glenn didn't touch it. Play on.

It looks like it went forward because he was knocked back by Glenn trying to go for the ball. But the ball was going backwards from the moment it touched his hand.

But there is a lesson in all of that. Always play to the whistle. Do not stop until you hear that whistle.

Last edited:
Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
**** no to the Sharks, at least while peptide Paul is around. And as much as I recognise Flanagan to be a very good coach, his involvement in the whole saga will always have a stink to it, and should not be rewarded with premiership glory.

I don't hate the Sharks or their fans, but they'll just have to wait a bit longer...

Sharks can win it in 2018 when Gallen is gone.

Until then, **** them.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
Are we really judging Wayne Bennetts will to get this team performing by his press conferences? In 2016, after nearly 30 years people still think anything he gives to the media actually matters? I know some people on here will enjoy claiming to be right about him all along but after last years performance you don't have that right. This is 100% on the players and their lack of passion for the jersey this year. Players like Thaiday and Parker who have obviously checked out already, like Milford and Hunt who have been playing the complete opposite from last year. Why the **** would Bennett see last year and train it out of them? That makes no sense at all.

McGuire has barely earned the right to act tough on the field. His stupid tweet about meetings when he's done **** all this year really annoyed me. The Tigers Blair is back. Hunt and Milford won't run it. Our backs are all injured and we've probably used up a bunch of our secondary cap or whatever trying to rectify that which is probably why Seve won't get a run, as well as the fact that he can not tackle. Opacic was returning early from injury so I guarantee that's why he got barely any game time. Maranta needs to go, but the blame he gets on here is ridiculous. We do miss Reed, his defense holds that side together and it is yet to be proven to me that players run around him apart from the two times it's happened or whatever. Kahu needs a full season without being injured or he needs to leave.

There is something really wrong with the reffing in the NRL as well. There's far too much discretion involved in almost every single call. There should be absolutely no grey area. The word obstruction means someone has been blocked. If nobody has been blocked it's not an obstruction. Simple. The touch judges have no involvement and I can't think of a more ridiculous thing in any sport that surpasses the guessing game that occurs when tries are scored and sent to the bunker. This season hasn't been fun for us, but it doesn't matter how shit a team plays. They shouldn't have to compete with terrible refereeing every week. Last night was the first time I questioned my love for this sport and it was only half because the Broncos didn't give a shit. The refs have been terrible in almost every game this year. Not just for us but obviously we notice it more and want to make threads about it when we are on the receiving end.

The only players who can hold their head high this year are Boyd and McCullough. In my opinion, if it was based on consistency, Darius would win the Dally M award. I'll settle for him being given the captaincy next week..

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Didn't have a problem with the Pangai no try.

That's been a no try for a long time now.

Could argue the 12 from the Panthers was denied a chance to tackle Pangai before the kick because Milford was in the way and Pangai ran behind him.

Last edited:
Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Would you prefer Melbourne or the sharks winning? Because I don't think any other side is a chance this season. I actually might actually be able to stomach Melbourne winning, just because it will confirm how horrible the rule changes have been in terms of wrestling getting worse.

Edit: rule changes + refereeing decay.

I would imagine the majority of Queensland fans wouldn't be to upset if the Storm won it. They are an unofficial Queensland team and the best QLD players play for them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Are we really judging Wayne Bennetts will to get this team performing by his press conferences?

why not ... most people seemed to judge Hooks attitude by what he said in press conferences.

I personally think that 99% of what coaches say in a press conference is either cliche, complete and utter BS or whinging about the ref

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Didn't have a problem with the Pangai no try.

That's been a no try for a long time now.

From memory the rule doesn't mention scoring a try ... it says taking and advantage, so if it is an obstruction, then he can't gain territory without being penalised.

what pissed me off about this was not so much that they denied the try ... but the ref claiming he was playing advantage.

No sport in the world gives the advantage to the team that infringes ... it always goes to the team that was disadvantaged.

Last edited:
B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I know Boyd has been one of our better players, but I really get irritated when Boyd is out of position and he show's no urgency to get back to the loose ball and is often just ball watching while the opposition player runs through and just steals it right from under his nose. This happens especially when the kick is aimed towards the uprights and it seems like he doesn't know whether to attack it, or let it hit the post, and in the end he just freezes. He just stands there and doesn't show any desperation to clean up the loose ball and we get put under more pressure, either because a try is scored or we have to defend another repeat set.

Other times, when he feels its a knock on or an obstruction, he just stops playing and raises his arms in the air to appeal to the referees. How about actually playing to the whistle and letting the referees do their job, while you do yours, which is play football? He did this when Blake ran the length of the field. As soon as it happened, his arms were in the air, and in the end he was out of position to stop Blake from running the distance.

The other thing that gets to me, is when Boyd and Milford try to earn a penalty and take an eternity to get up to play the ball. They just shake their heads and almost stop playing, staring at the referee. This really annoys me. How about showing some desperation to actually get a quick play the ball, and if the opposition players are hanging off you while your trying to play the ball, you'll get the penalty?

Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
I seriously believe that we were taken out of the game by not only errors but terrible referring. The Blake try was a knock on, Milford taken off the ball by James Fisher. And dumb penalties I think one was Thaiday having hands on the ball in tackle but he had none. If a few calls went out way. It could of been 6-12 with 10 mins to go instead of a hiding by panthers. They were hard done by, the Broncos will be back. Have some faith.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
From memory the rule doesn't mention scoring a try ... it says taking and advantage, so if it is an obstruction, then he can't gain territory without being penalised.what pissed me off about this was not so much that they denied the try ... but the ref claiming he was playing advantage.No sport in the world gives the advantage to the team that infringes ... it always goes to the team that was disadvantaged.
I agree. Playing advantage when the attacking teams has supposedly obstructed the opposition defence makes no sense. If its a penalty, blow the whistle straight away as soon as he runs behind his player. Pangai didn't even take advantage in the hole that was created due to the obstruction. The opposition had plenty of time to recover.

Last edited:
Horseheadsup

Horseheadsup

NRL Player
Mar 21, 2016
Could not agree with you more Taylor 1921. I believe we could have won second half, the reffing was blatant, we had started to fire up and that just killed it. For mine we would have built confidence coming back and had a lot more belief in the Roosters game...but now

Battler

Battler

State of Origin Rep
Dec 4, 2013
NO to the Storm but they are brilliantly coached and ultra professional.
YES to the Sharks because they are the best performing team and after fifty years of trying deserve reward for effort.

Yep, definitely more palatable than Cows winning. Team of whingers coached by a whinger that thinks everything that happens against them comes by design, not just the way footy goes. The fact they're our biggest rival makes it even easier to hate them.
Sharks are playing entertaining footy, and never really been a storm fan but I think even their style of footy has evolved and they're so much more than wrestle and suffocate you out of game kind of team these days. That's just me though,

I can't support a team that has gone out and bought a successful squad instead of raising juniors. The sharks put even the rorters to shame with their current squad (not saying that they have the same quality of players as Sydney did in 2014, but they have purchased more established players to get to where they are). It's fine to make the odd signing here and there, but some sides overdo it.

Plus they have pantomime grubs in Gallen, fatfita, Graham, and Ennis. Edit: add Maloney to that list.

Last edited:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
I still think a lot of it is down to leadership. I honestly dont think we have many leaders. I think Boyd is one, outside of him, i dont see any. Parker should be leading by example, and all i see from him is him dishing out sprays to people all the time and looking surly. Good captains steup up to the plate and the rest of the team follows them. I guess we have been spoiled with the calibre of captains we have had here. Players like Tallis, Langer and Locky would make the big play to turn the game, i just dont see that in Parker whenever he is captain. You often find out who is a good leader when things arent going well. Its easy to be a good player and captain in a winning side. Parker for me doesnt have many games left to show he can inspire when the chips are down.

Active Now

• mystico
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Wendall Taylor
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Harry Sack
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • sooticus
  • Jedhead
  • Skyblues87
  • Rowdy124
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.